Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 72

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 248959 times)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1020 on: January 21, 2022, 12:52:19 PM »

Or a 'don't shoot at parts that don't take damage/don't fire back' would be nice as well.

(Those are never targeted, btw - well, not ones that can't take damage, anyway. Any time those are hit it's because it's trying to shoot something else.)

Thats good to know! Does the AI target structural spars and their like? It seems that whenever I'm fighting mid tech stations that they draw a lot (the majority) of fire, but that could be confirmation bias of the AI just shooting at the main modules and missing.
The AI will cheerfully target whatever destructible bits come into range first - like those armor spars on the midline station - and then won't re-target until it's dead or out of range.

Which can lead to odd effects with stations, where weapons stop firing because the module they're targeting is blocked by the station's main bulk... but there is still a destructable module available. I'm not sure if this is an actual issue with fully-AI-controlled ships - haven't been watching close enough - but it can happen to the player until they manually target a specific module to force the autofire AI to retarget.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: January 23, 2022, 06:14:48 PM »

Oh, Alex(or David?) I don't think I've thanked you yet for including the super [redacted] megastructures yet. Obviously in-game representations don't align with any hard numbers you have in mind for their actual lore dimensions (since it's not relevant, being a game n all), but I love how horrifyingly monstrous in size the hypershunts are.

With blue hypergiants ranging in estimated size from something like 200 solar radii to the 800 (!!!) upper bound of Eta Carinae A, that means that even if they're off by an order of magnitude in size they still dwarf in size even things like dyson spheres.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: January 23, 2022, 08:25:23 PM »

All the megastructures - the cryosleepers, the hypershunts, the sporeships - are really great ways of adding some vastness and flavor to the game, and I hope we get more crazy hubristic Domain engineering projects like that.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: January 24, 2022, 06:41:31 AM »

Too bad the hypershunts are a letdown.  The only good thing about them is the chance for Omega loot.  Anything else about them is a trap.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: January 24, 2022, 08:41:52 AM »

Both hypershunts and cryosleepers are mediocre.

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: January 24, 2022, 08:55:45 AM »

Both hypershunts and cryosleepers are mediocre.

Definitely not enough payout.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: January 24, 2022, 09:34:31 AM »

I was about to build a cyrorevival only to see 10 demand for organics.  No way I can meet that.  Although if the only penalty is half bonus, maybe I can use another +3 to my population growth instead +6 or whatever I got.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: January 24, 2022, 09:40:38 AM »

I was about to build a cyrorevival only to see 10 demand for organics.  No way I can meet that.  Although if the only penalty is half bonus, maybe I can use another +3 to my population growth instead +6 or whatever I got.

I find it worthwhile with an AI core as 9 demand can be satisfied with 90% accessibility.  You can import that from the core systems, which do in fact produce that much.  Admittedly not too valuable at the edge of the range, but if you are colonizing the cryosleeper system and have a spare alpha core for the structure, a growth bonus of 20 times planet size dwarfs any other growth bonus in the game by an order of magnitude.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 11:08:30 AM by Hiruma Kai »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: January 24, 2022, 09:53:52 AM »

In my case, I have a system with a gate, close to core worlds, double terran (main terran with high gravity ores and organics and 125% hazard, moon terran with farmland and 75% hazard, good for overlapping defenses), and two other worlds for volatiles.  The system is also barely within radius of a cyrosleeper.  The only thing the system is missing is no low hazard world without habitable and/or no atmosphere.

And I do not want to use cores in colonies, yet.

SpacePoliticianAndaZealot

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: February 02, 2022, 12:47:39 AM »

Hello, long time no see! Just wanted to say that I love what you've done with the Ordnance Expertise skill - it has always been my go-to skill in previous Starsector versions, yet it's still a top-tier skill in this update. Getting extra flux dissipation and capacity per OP spent is a really great idea, and I love that you've reshuffled some of the skills around to make the Industry tree a more viable pick when selecting which combat/survivability skills to learn. Cheers and thank you for everything you're doing with the game! Bought it in 2016 and still playing to this day <3

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: February 02, 2022, 08:34:59 AM »

Hello, long time no see! Just wanted to say that I love what you've done with the Ordnance Expertise skill - it has always been my go-to skill in previous Starsector versions, yet it's still a top-tier skill in this update. Getting extra flux dissipation and capacity per OP spent is a really great idea, and I love that you've reshuffled some of the skills around to make the Industry tree a more viable pick when selecting which combat/survivability skills to learn. Cheers and thank you for everything you're doing with the game! Bought it in 2016 and still playing to this day <3

Hi - it's nice to see you here again! Glad you like how the skills stuff has shaped up, in particular, thank you :)

Radicaljack

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: February 07, 2022, 11:12:38 PM »

Yeah my biggest irritation with the 95a build was skills, but it's so much nicer with the 95.1 build. I recently convinced a few people that never game to try Starsector, I was afraid they'd all find it too hard or they'd get frustrated instead they have all become addicts and are asking me for other things like it. Sadly there's not much that fits the perfect niche it occupies but I hope they enjoy some other indy work as much as they've enjoyed this. this build in particular and the story being developed have made this yet again one of my favorite games of all time. Thanks for keeping up with it! So interested to see what comes next.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: February 08, 2022, 08:47:35 PM »

Yeah my biggest irritation with the 95a build was skills, but it's so much nicer with the 95.1 build. I recently convinced a few people that never game to try Starsector, I was afraid they'd all find it too hard or they'd get frustrated instead they have all become addicts and are asking me for other things like it. Sadly there's not much that fits the perfect niche it occupies but I hope they enjoy some other indy work as much as they've enjoyed this. this build in particular and the story being developed have made this yet again one of my favorite games of all time. Thanks for keeping up with it! So interested to see what comes next.

Hah, that's really cool, thank you for sharing this! Glad you're liking how the skills turned out in this release, and thank you for your kind words :)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #1033 on: February 09, 2022, 09:01:47 PM »

I just found out about MemFlags.PATROL_EXTRA_SUSPICION. For some reason, the only thing that sets it normally is... the hand-me-down freighter hub mission. Why??

EDIT: To clarify, should an innocuous off-the-books transaction with a civilian (as opposed to any of the underworld contact dealings you can have) cause smuggling suspicion? None of the other mostly-legitimate bar encounters do this.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 10:32:27 PM by Histidine »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: February 10, 2022, 05:36:21 AM »

I just found out about MemFlags.PATROL_EXTRA_SUSPICION. For some reason, the only thing that sets it normally is... the hand-me-down freighter hub mission. Why??

EDIT: To clarify, should an innocuous off-the-books transaction with a civilian (as opposed to any of the underworld contact dealings you can have) cause smuggling suspicion? None of the other mostly-legitimate bar encounters do this.
Guess one more gotcha encounter I ought to avoid, which I do anyway because the ship offered by "hard drinking" spacer has lots of d-mods.  If I want a multi d-mod freighter that badly, I can recover something out there.

The main point of buying ships at the bar is pristine (combat) ships at bargain prices, which hard drinking spacer fails to deliver.  Meanwhile, I buy ships from powered armor pirate or military officer/base commander sitting at the table.  Sometimes, I get a good contact with the latter just for buying the ship at bargain price.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 72