Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 72

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 248868 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #825 on: December 20, 2021, 10:22:32 AM »

Bonus XP is whack at the moment. With a fleet of two destroyers and a couple of frigates with 4 level 1 officers, fighting some pirate trash gives me nearly +100% bonus XP, while a bounty of 15 ships, including a Conquest and 2 Dominators, with level 4 and 5 officers is worth just +27%.
Enemy detection is also somewhat inaccurate. A bunch of dumb-fire bombs from Piranhas and no enemy in sight make PPT count down, while a Fury inside the view range may not.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: December 20, 2021, 11:10:22 AM »

Hmm - I appreciate the report, but I'm not seeing anything like that on my end. Also, bombs or other ordnance have no bearing whatsoever on peak time ticking down - it's not even looked at - so I suspect you're seeing something different than what you think you're seeing there, if that makes sense.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: December 20, 2021, 02:14:50 PM »

Hotfix -RC6 is up! Full list of changes is in the OP; download it here.

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: December 20, 2021, 02:30:00 PM »

Shield Shunt:
    Reduced armor bonus to 15% (was: 25%)
    Can no longer be built into a ship as an s-mod

High Scatter Amplifier:
    Now reduces base beam range past 200 units by 50%, e.g. 600 -> 400 and 1000 -> 600

Ballistic Rangefinder: increased cost to 10/15/25 (was: 6/9/15)
Whats the point of those changes?
Spoiler
[close]

Ruddygreat

• Admiral
  • Seals :^)
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: December 20, 2021, 02:34:06 PM »

Shield Shunt:

High Scatter Amplifier:
    Now reduces base beam range past 200 units by 50%, e.g. 600 -> 400 and 1000 -> 600

seconding the shield shunt question in particular - it wasn't particularly good at 25% (although i get why building in was blocked), why nerf it to 15%?

HSA idc about because I never used it & rangefinder was definitely too good for it's cost, but shunt is confusing me here
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 02:40:30 PM by Ruddygreat »

Caymon Joestar

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: December 20, 2021, 02:40:47 PM »

Hotfix #3 -RC6 (December 20, 2021, 5:15pm EST)

Balance/other changes:
    • Shield Shunt:
      • Reduced armor bonus to 15% (was: 25%)
      • Can no longer be built into a ship as an s-mod
    • High Scatter Amplifier:
      • Now reduces base beam range past 200 units by 50%, e.g. 600 -> 400 and 1000 -> 600
    • Breach SRM: reduced armor damage to 250 (was: 300 in -RC5, 200 in 0.95a)

Who though Shield shunt was op? Because I never saw anyone complain about it being too strong. If anything, everyone I talked to said it's still not that good and should be buffed

Why the HSA changes?

Why the breach srm changes? they didnt feel op at all[/list]

Zuthal

• Ensign
      • View Profile
    « Reply #831 on: December 20, 2021, 02:50:24 PM »

Shield Shunt:

High Scatter Amplifier:

seconding the shield shunt question in particular - it wasn't particularly good at 25% (although i get why building in was blocked), why nerf it to 15%?

HSA idc about because I never used it & rangefinder was definitely too good for it's cost, but shunt is confusing me here

I honestly don't get why you'd block building it in. It's not like the situation with SO where it is such a massively larger OP cost than all other hull mods. Shield shunt is a very cheap hullmod that basically in no case you'd build in anyways, since in basically all builds that would use it you have more expensive hullmods in the build (like heavy armour).

Caymon Joestar

• Commander
      • View Profile
    « Reply #832 on: December 20, 2021, 02:54:10 PM »

Shield Shunt:

High Scatter Amplifier:

I honestly don't get why you'd block building it in. It's not like the situation with SO where it is such a massively larger OP cost than all other hull mods. Shield shunt is a very cheap hullmod that basically in no case you'd build in anyways, since in basically all builds that would use it you have more expensive hullmods in the build (like heavy armour).

No it's because you could apply makeshift shield to a shiedless ship, apply shield shunt, build it in and then remove makeshift for free armor. That's why he blocked building it in.

Now whether or not that was worth fixing is a different question

Ruddygreat

• Admiral
    • Seals :^)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #833 on: December 20, 2021, 02:55:40 PM »

it got blocked because you could
    • add makeshift shields to a shieldless ship
    • add shunt
    • build in shunt
    • remove makeshift
    • free armour!
    and as you said, it's a cheap hullmod so who'd build it in anyway

nvm caymon got there first

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
    • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
      • View Profile
    « Reply #834 on: December 20, 2021, 03:02:56 PM »

Well, guess HSA is useless again. Oh well, too bad.

bobucles

• Admiral
      • View Profile
    « Reply #835 on: December 20, 2021, 03:08:07 PM »

So you add shields to a ship, then pull the shields out? It sounds like the hull mods are complete opposites and one wouldn't allow the other.

Zuthal

• Ensign
      • View Profile
    « Reply #836 on: December 20, 2021, 03:11:52 PM »

-snip-

No it's because you could apply makeshift shield to a shiedless ship, apply shield shunt, build it in and then remove makeshift for free armor. That's why he blocked building it in.

Now whether or not that was worth fixing is a different question

Ahhh, gotcha. Feel like a better way to do that would have been to have it simply such that makeshift shield generator and shield shunt cannot be installed at the same time - or is there a vanilla ship that has makeshift shield preinstalled?

Also, sad but kinda understandable about the slight nerf to the Manticore. Especially in combination with Flux Regulation and Ordnance Expertise it was maybe a bit too powerful.

Mordodrukow

• Captain
      • View Profile
    « Reply #837 on: December 20, 2021, 03:12:19 PM »

Well, guess HSA is useless again. Oh well, too bad.
    +
    Feel like riding the rollercoaster here...

About Shield shunt: imo it should give 25%, as it was, and cost 0 OP. It looked like finally good enough in theory, but i used it 70% of my playthrough with every damn armor buff we have in this game, and it was kinda meh... And when i removed it and added hardened shileds and Filed modulation the game became 400% easier.

The only reason to use Shield shunt is the same as it always was: to prevent AI from raising shield (it actually help sometimes, because your AI "friends" cant block your movement by shield if they dont have any)
    Spoiler
    [close]

Alex

• Administrator
    • Admiral
      • View Profile
    « Reply #838 on: December 20, 2021, 03:20:48 PM »

BRF turned out to be too much of a no-brainer IMO.

Mainly because it had the possibility of being too good, and the problem with something like this - which cuts a lot of gameplay out of the game by making a ship which is fairly one-dimensional to pilot - is if it's too strong, it really damages the game. I'll keep an eye on it, though.

And, yeah, the "can't s-mod it" change is because the main reason you'd want to is so you can remove makeshift shield generator afterwards and keep it. It's otherwise too cheap to want to s-mod it in so it shouldn't have much of an effect otherwise.

Why the HSA changes?

Because, frankly, I think HSA was a bad idea in the first place and it's a tough one to work with. Some beam weapons are in a place where if you turn them into hard flux dealers without a penalty, the become absolute monsters. The Phase Lance, for example - HSA + Phase Lance basically makes Heavy Blasters entirely obsolete. Reducing range is just about the only way to generically (that is, not on a per-weapon basis) adjust it so that it doesn't end up making a bunch of other stuff useless, and it's far better for it to be extremely situational than it is for it to be too good and therefore the only good choice in many situations.

Why the breach srm changes? they didnt feel op at all

I think combined with some other things that can easily be. Regardless, this isn't actually much of a change (in particular since their damage is not reduced by armor, so the reduction is no more than it is on paper) and still a significant buff from 0.95a.

Feel like a better way to do that would have been to have it simply such that makeshift shield generator and shield shunt cannot be installed at the same time

(Also a possible option! Wouldn't cover some kind of modded shield generator, potentially, but still. I don't think it matters too much one way or another, though.)

About Shield shunt: imo it should give 25%, as it was, and cost 0 OP. It looked like finally good enough in theory, but i used it 70% of my playthrough with every damn armor buff we have in this game, and it was kinda meh... And when i removed it and added hardened shileds and Filed modulation the game became 400% easier.

(I appreciate the feedback, truly.)

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
    • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
      • View Profile
    « Reply #839 on: December 20, 2021, 03:32:30 PM »

If HSA was a bad idea then just get rid of it. It's better then having it be useless except for niche situations where it's maybe overpowered. Is 10 Glimmers with HSA and full beams broken right now, will it be broken in a future patch, will any new beams be broken with HSA in the future? Leaving a potential landmine lying around for the sake of keeping a bad idea is bad praxis, imo.
    Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 72