Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 72

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 249026 times)

WASP103

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #645 on: December 12, 2021, 04:23:04 AM »

I love the new skillsets, the SlipStream and boy was I smiling when I saw the Pilums now have a second stage that actually makes them useful again. Keep up the great work! Big Love!

DaShiv

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: December 12, 2021, 05:56:17 AM »

Oh noes the HSA+AO combo. Can't have *** in hightech. (That combo was pretty silly on some ships, understandable).

(I'm not sure exactly what I was thinking - either I just somehow forgot that AO existed, or just goofed. But thinking about it now, that combo just seems like a real bad idea - it goes right against the new HSA's design which is "match the normal hard flux range that's likely to be available on that ship". And with AO that goes right out the window.)

I can understand the design intent to keep AO and HSA mutually exclusive and the initial cost reduction to HSA is a reasonable gesture, but HSA still feels too expensive if HSA beams can't be extended via AO and are thus directly comparable rangewise with other energy weapons. For example, comparing OP costs and DPS of Plasma Cannon vs Tach Lance + HSA, or Heavy Blaster vs Phase Lance + HSA, and the additional HSA OP tax feels a bit high even if amortized across multiple beams.

Alternately, perhaps the damage bonus could be buffed a bit in lieu of an OP decrease?

Mortrag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: December 12, 2021, 08:43:30 AM »

First Impression: Slipstreams are a realy nice change of pace in hyperspace and do improve the travel-feeling. Thanks for that, Alex.
Also, I haven't played much with the old skill-tree, but the new one looks interesting for sure.

Havoc

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: December 12, 2021, 09:09:48 AM »

I like the new low tech ships, buffs on industrial skills and  Thumper

is Salamander now without emp?
somehow are Salamander and Pillum switched, usually I use both anyway^^

Timid

• Admiral
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: December 12, 2021, 09:29:11 AM »

I'm on RC4 and the squall seems to be firing when the ship has already died.

This seems to be consistent with most weapons that are on burst.. huh they're not canceling out when dead.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: December 12, 2021, 09:41:14 AM »

I'm on RC4 and the squall seems to be firing when the ship has already died.

This seems to be consistent with most weapons that are on burst.. huh they're not canceling out when dead.
That's been a thing for a long time, I specifically reported the Squall for it but it seems it's intentional.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: December 12, 2021, 01:03:00 PM »

Finally downloaded the hotfix, installed it on a brand-new computer, and getting used to the game again.  The first thing I did was... dive into the Codex, then check the portraits.  Since the game did not let me skip the tutorial, I started a game, quit immediately, restart the game again, and that allowed me to skip the tutorial.  The first game gate to a skip is kind of pointless and annoying.  Just let the player skip the tutorial without the roadblock.

Right now, I am exploring the seed with Apogee start to see if the seed is any good for colonies before I commit to hours of combat grinding for skills and loot.  While exploring, I noticed several gas giants beyond the core worlds lack gravity.

Delta_of_Isaire

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: December 12, 2021, 01:11:28 PM »

Some first impressions of the update after a few hours of play:

> Sensor Ghosts. Fun little faeries indeed.

> Also, slipstreams! Although my first impression on them is they change slightly too often.

> The Venture is surprisingly rare at Open Market shops. I've been trying to get one because it looks decent now with its stat buffs and with better Pilums to try out. Alas, haven't found one for sale so far. Am I looking in the wrong places?

> New Skills system is amazing. It just works - no more impossible choices between skills. The reworked skills themselves also look very good. I suspect my Officer corps will end up with more varied skillsets as a result of more skills being viable options now, which is good. And I'll be respeccing myself a fair few times...

> Funny thing: Polarized Armor buffs armor damage absorption based on *Hard* flux. And also unlocks the Shield Shunt hullmod, which removes shields and therefore makes it *impossible* to build up Hard flux! (Not a problem though, just funny)

> Somewhat less funny: Elite Combat Endurance. "When below 25% hull..." yeah you can stop it right there. My ships will not get to 25% hull very often. If that happens something has gone horribly wrong, and that ship should retreat immediately before it gets itself killed. If it even manages that - situations that get a ship to low hull tend to be situations that get a ship killed ery soon afterwards. So this Elite skill is looking kind of useless.

> Vanguard is true to its name: very powerful first-wave attacker with plenty of speed to catch Frigates and keep pressuring them, but sooner rather than later its armor is busted and it needs to retreat (which its speed lets it do, mostly).

> Manticore is my new favorite Destroyer. It actually has enough flux (esp. with Ordnance Expertise) to support a Mjolnir or Gauss Cannon, which is super neat. Also, twin medium missiles add a lot of punch - or two Pilums for support which seems to work well alongside Gauss Cannon. Canistar Flak is cute. Thank the light it regenerates charges - at first I was afraid it would be like the Flare Launcher (which should totally be given regen as well).

> Eradicator is a beast. Just recently I got my hands on an Eradicator (P), and SIM battle performance is amazing. Will have to see how a real battle goes. And that's without Ballistic Rangefinder so far. Burn Drive is actually good for catching fast Destroyers like Mules and chasing targets that like to flee. Along with the 5 DP reduction from the base model I think that balances out the lack of AAF quite well. My only concern is that the Eradicator is to the Enforcer what the Onslaught is to the Dominator: completely superior at the cost of more DP (and sllightly worse campaign stats). More speed, more armor, more flux, more weapons. There is nothing an Enforcer can do that an Eradicator (P) cannot do better.

> Ballistic Rangefinder is awesome, but I feel it lets down Medium Ballistic weapons, specifically the Arbalest, Heavy Mortar and Thumper. I was really hoping for 800 range Heavy Mortars, which have an important role to fill as high-DPS anti-armor against big targets, for which 700 base range isn't enough. But it turns out only ships with a Large ballistic mount get to have that. you know, the ships with access to Hellbore Cannon and Hephaestus Assault Gun which completely outclass the Heavy Mortar regardless of its range. Meanwhile, the many Cruisers and Destroyers who desperately want good medium ballistic weapons find these weapons don't benefit at all from the hullmod. The Enforcer is particularly a victim of this. One of its key advantages is having many turreted medium weapon slots. But Ballistic Rangefinder does nothing for these medium weapons! And then there's the fact that small Ballistics do always benefit, so weapons like Railgun and Light Assault Gun end up having 100 more range than the abovementioned medium weapons.
My conclusion is one of two things should happen: either let Ballistic Rangefinder buff Medium weapons to 800 range max in the absence of a large mount; or outright buff the Arbalest Cannon, Heavy Mortar and Thumper to 800 base range.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: December 12, 2021, 01:20:09 PM »

Ships with Shield shunt are always treated to have 50% hard flux. Think that part is explained in the skill tooltip, not sure.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Aramoro

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: December 12, 2021, 01:31:20 PM »

Have any of u encountered the Untouchable Space God yet?

There are some "disgustingly fast" unidentified contacts in hyperspace.
I decided to molest some poor pirates, that definitely don't plan to turn unsuspecting traders into harvested organs. My plan went of they interdicted them in their anger.
Charge in full eburn to catch it, and...

me: GET IN THE STUPID POKE BALL!
theSpaceGod: fool...this isn't even 1% of my true speed, behold!

and he was gone...fastest thing in the universe

Zaizai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: December 12, 2021, 03:05:20 PM »

Very pleased with the update so far, Just some doubts not necessarily related to this update in particular: 
When I started the game I noticed that the pirate planet umbra in the askonia system required heavy amount of resources like supplies, fuel, drugs. 
I went there and pretty much by running back and forth from that planet and the other stations in the same system I quickly reached over 1.5 millions credits plus an atlas and a prometheus. I feel like I pretty much skipped the whole struggle that I'm supposed to have at the start. Why do any mission at all if I can get this much money in so little time?

Radicaljack

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: December 12, 2021, 03:44:19 PM »

You could always do that, especially with illegal drugs and whatever else was lying around. I usually start off like that then go exploring and fight for fun. Trading is always gonna be the most profitable unless bounties get buffed.

Sly

• Commander
  • Afflicionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: December 12, 2021, 05:11:00 PM »

Haha - true. But also: Safety Overrides, Expanded Missile Racks, and an officer with Missile Spec. It's not *good* by a long shot, but it packs a surprising punch.

This is an excellent strategy that I 100% agree with, and struggle to justify putting sentient lifeforms inside of that "prototype phase wash" with safeties overriden. I'm pretty sure the effects from that qualifies as existential horror.

I wouldn't be surprised if some joyriding spacer doing inertial gravity racing in a Gremlin caused the collapse. Safety overrides, low level phase field, and enjoying the finest* recreational drugs. Straight into the event horizon! Wherever he ended up, he probably wouldn't need a nervous system to feel things anymore.

* Finest that can be distilled in a 1x2 vac-sealed magcrate.

Jackundor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: December 13, 2021, 01:03:41 AM »

tfw you can't play with all of the fun stuff bc you dislike a few of the changes a lot...

Stalkar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: December 13, 2021, 01:29:47 AM »

Can we expect a new incarnation of "Colony Management" skill later?(like more fitting for the current state of those) or just overall possibility to manage more without resorting to AI cores

just not really found of using AI cores/administrators earlier,before first 3 colonies were usualy under own hand until like level 4-5,and while yes, i am not being exactly fair by usualy not sticking to vanilla lvl 15 cap, i still liked having that one in late game when i came to find colonies
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 01:32:50 AM by ShadowStalkar »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 72