Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 72

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 248878 times)

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95.1a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #315 on: November 14, 2021, 07:14:46 AM »

You guys don't get the MASTER PLAN.
Everything will be nerfed until there is no fun left.
Spoiler
Then game will be ready for Steam release.
[close]

ubuntufreakdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 14, 2021, 07:15:57 AM »

I use HVD on Ventures, as the need to stay out of reach, but it just feels too weak to be on any useful frontline ship.

sadly there is no reliable strong medium anti armor option for either Energy or Ballistics with a range of 700 to 800.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 14, 2021, 07:19:51 AM »

inb4 Alex actually wanted to buff HVD (unlikely, but would be funny)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 14, 2021, 08:14:26 AM »

I use HVD on Ventures, as the need to stay out of reach, but it just feels too weak to be on any useful frontline ship.

sadly there is no reliable strong medium anti armor option for either Energy or Ballistics with a range of 700 to 800.
Venture does not seem like endgame material.  Venture feels like entry-level cruiser for the early-game.

HVD is okay against human fleets, just not against Remnants (the only enemies that matter at endgame).

Last release, I used to use HVDs and Mauler on Falcon and Eagle, and they were effective against human fleets.  Once I started fighting (the weaker 0.9.1) Remnants, they overran my Falcons and Eagles.  I swapped the HVDs out for heavy needlers and Falcon and Eagle had a fighting chance against the Remnants.  Similarly, I replaced HVD and four lance Paragon for needler, lance, and plasma Paragon and it started putting pain on Radiants.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 14, 2021, 09:27:34 AM »

I run 5x HVD on legion XIV, and maybe on a falcon or eagle occasionally, but that's about it.

I only use it for AI manipulation purposes, to encourage the AI the hang back. I really don't understand the desire to nerf it. It feels underwhelming as is to me. I felt the same way about the mauler though, so there's obviously some major disconnect on the topic of long range ballistics here.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 14, 2021, 09:36:58 AM »

I appreciate the added feedback regarding HVD! That actually more or less matches up with the *intent* behind how it's set up, so I'm glad it seems to be functioning more like that and, well, not more like how I was concerned it was.

I think the Atropos was originally intended to be between the Harpoon and Reaper (wasn't it 2000 damage?) but 2000 damage Atropos on Daggers/Tridents would be insane. I'd prefer ship-mounted Atropos be 2000 damage and Fighter-mounted Atropos stay as-is but the game would have to tell you that somehow and that's more effort than it's worth. However, at the end of the day, we're talking about a missile system confined to Small Mounts. It's a blip on the balance radar, all things considered. If there were Medium Atropos pods or Hurricanes fired Atropos at the split, maybe it'd be worth debating but as it is, it's no big deal to me.

Yep, that's exactly the history of it! And it feels like it's at least easier to balanced a ship-board Atropos around it having 1200 damage than it would be to balance the fighters around a 2000 damage one. And, hopefully, with the reduction in OP cost, it'll see more use.

Huh didn't expect those missile changes. Seems cool but it's kinda funny to me that there now exists two versions of the same missile, with one having a literal one missile more, I understand why for gameplay reasons and bonuses but still.

Hah, I know what you mean. Still, this is a change I'm actually low-key excited about. It feels like the (Double) version should be a viable "budget" alternative, especially for ships with multiple missile mounts that can still get a decent salvo off with one-per-shot. Of course, they'd also get more out of the extra missile in the standard racks, but at an OP premium for both that missile and the increased rate of fire. So it *seems* like this should add some real choices!

Glad for Atropos changes, still sad there's not a medium version that fires two at once. There's so many options for small slots, but then you get to larger options and you only have Reapers as torpedoes.

Hmm. Reapers (and some other weapon line examples notwithstanding), I'm generally not a fan of "same thing but bigger" weapons - or, at least, that's not the first place I want to go. I mean, it's hard to avoid to a certain extent, especially for certain weapon types that are pretty core to the game - the autocannon line comes to mind here. And, really, the Reaper is pretty core too - it's the quintessential torpedo, and its existence is definitely a balance consideration, or perhaps even "pillar" :)

So that said, if I really wanted to add a new medium or large torpedo, my preference would be to go for something entirely new! Seems like there's a lot of design room to explore there. Maybe something that's very heavily anti-armor with scripted armor damage (like the Breach on steroids, hard to stop, and with very limited ammo). Or some kind of ion-torpedo that spawns a ton of EMP arcs on impact but only does energy damage, so it's more of a disabler. Or indeed something guided like the Atropos; that could be interesting as well, though it might be more useful with a longer range, if it's in a non-small slot. Or, or, an energy torpedo with a flux cost. ... getting a bit too into this, I think. But yeah, it seems like there's a lot of fun options to consider here.

I felt the same way about the mauler though, so there's obviously some major disconnect on the topic of long range ballistics here.

The mauler changes aren't a nerf - or, well, they're not intended as one. Consider also that the improved accuracy is a bigger concern given that Gunnery Implants only reduces recoil by 25% now (and you'd have to get Armored Weapon Mounts to get the other 25%). I wouldn't necessarily call the changes a buff - I think they're closer to being that than a nerf, but it's more just giving the mauler a different feel and role. And it's also one in which it could be buffed more safely if need be, than it is in its current state, where I think it's too easy to make it too strong.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 14, 2021, 10:17:50 AM »

The two-shot Harpoon looks like it would be useful for ships with enough missile mounts and maybe stop the AI from panic firing them all on the first Hound or overloaded ship they detect.

For Sabots, I usually use them on ships with (or had) no good anti-shield options (e.g., any high-tech ship without a large mount or ballistic mount) and need as many Sabots as I can get to let them hurt things with relatively inefficient energy weapons, so I probably would not use the budget rack.

As for nu-Mauler, it would be a nerf if the AI shield flickers more, especially HVD and nu-Mauler combo.  It does not shield flicker against classic Mauler.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 14, 2021, 10:28:53 AM »

I'm generally not a fan of "same thing but bigger" weapons - or, at least, that's not the first place I want to go. I mean, it's hard to avoid to a certain extent, especially for certain weapon types that are pretty core to the game - the autocannon line comes to mind here.
Oh yeah I'm well aware of that, we're pretty much on the same page. I'd take a new unique weapon over double barrelled anything, any day. Atropos just came to mind because I barely ever use it on ships which is a shame because it looks cool, hopefully I'll start using them more with the new changes.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 14, 2021, 11:01:23 AM »

If I were going to do a medium Atropos, I'd probably go in the direction of single shot, slowish reload, extensive-or-perhaps-regenerating ammunition. Vanilla does not have a good medium HE missile with endurance to it; the Pilum used to be that, but the missiles are too slow now...

...Hm. There's a notion for a Pilum buff: Make the missiles start off fast(er) and then slow down - make it so it's possible to use them as a short-range armor-breacher, without making them any stronger at long ranges.

Edit: TODO: Actually try using breach missile pods.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 11:14:37 AM by Wyvern »
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 14, 2021, 12:53:47 PM »

High ammo low ROF medium HE missile sounds really nice tbh. HE Missiles right now are all insta delete one or two ships and then do nothing for the rest of combat type weapons.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 14, 2021, 03:11:33 PM »

High ammo low ROF medium HE missile sounds really nice tbh. HE Missiles right now are all insta delete one or two ships and then do nothing for the rest of combat type weapons.
Breach sort of does this, but it is not very useful because of its weaknesses.  They seem like beefier and more sluggish Swarmers, but they last longer.

ubuntufreakdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 14, 2021, 03:46:56 PM »

If you want a new Weapon, how about a tractor beam:
Large Energy Mounted constant beam
Kinetic beam(they are just funny, and fits lore)
Some not much EMP dmg
If it is not blocked by shields it drags the target closer, and increases phase cool down.

Sly

• Commander
  • Afflicionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 14, 2021, 04:10:47 PM »

In my experience, Breach is a good missile to use en masse in a wolf pack of frigates and a few destroyers. Easily cracks a pirate Venture open like a tin can. You don't get the killing power of a less specialized missile, but it lasts longer with 0.95 AI, is more reliable against PD, and frees up a little OP.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 04:12:24 PM by Sly »

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 14, 2021, 04:25:19 PM »

The lack of Energy missiles in the game is...disturbing. Just sayin' :P You really could go wild with them: disablers, slow-moving death balls, chain-effects...the sky is the limit. Even more traditional Energy missiles pose an interesting dilemma: a 2000 damage Energy missile is a moderate hit against both shields and hull but if it also was an Ion hit, I really don't want to get disabled! At least something like that would give the Sabot some competition: depending on ammo, OP, etc.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 14, 2021, 04:34:37 PM »

Atropos rebalance as an energy torpedo could be pretty cool.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 72