Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 72

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 248953 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95.1a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #195 on: November 09, 2021, 09:34:06 AM »

NPC admirals can have fleetwide skills, but iirc they get at most one, and from a pretty limited pool. For example, Hegemony fleets can have Crew Training or Officer Training, while League fleets can have those two or Fighter Uplink, Carrier Group, Coordinated Manoeuvres, Electronic Warfare or Flux regulations. As far as I know, they get only a single fleetwide skill, if that. I don't know what skills and how many of them can mercenaries get.

YAZF

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 09, 2021, 11:51:40 AM »

Fixed issue that could cause the AI to fire too many HE missiles at an overloaded target despite being aware that it was overkill

At last! As much as I can appreciate a good old "FIRE EVERYTHING!" moment, having my fleet unload 20+ Harpoons at the first overloaded frigate they saw could be very annoying, especially whenever it happened at the start of a bigger battle.
Dear Alex,
There should be a battlestation/star fortress fight in the main menu mission mode.  :)

BaBosa

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 09, 2021, 05:44:23 PM »

Could you make it so if they’re firing at the last ship that they will fire everything then. It’s always fun to watch  ;D

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 09, 2021, 07:44:17 PM »

• Uncoupled story point gain rate after reaching maximum level from what the actual maximum level is
    • Only matters if the maximum level is increased beyond the vanilla maxium
    • Before this change, doing this would make story point gain at max level significantly slower
Personally I'd have uncoupled story points from levels completely right from the beginning, to remove the problem of getting a lot at the start but only a few in the late game (ie getting them every fixed amount of experience regardless of level). However, it's still an improvement.

I'd have also give a free story point every month if you have less than 5 (to guarantee you always have a few to play with) and made 20 the maximum you can have (to encourage you to spend them rather than hoard them since once you have 20 you can't get any more), but that's just me.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 08:00:41 PM by Oni »

Dexy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 10, 2021, 12:42:27 AM »

Ironman mode is trivialized by story points, mainly due to being able to escape from bad fights without consequences. The other uses of story points also help make things easier.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 10, 2021, 12:59:37 AM »

Ironman mode is trivialized by story points, mainly due to being able to escape from bad fights without consequences. The other uses of story points also help make things easier.
As opposed to manual save-copying?
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 10, 2021, 01:04:07 AM »

What factions will have access to the new ships, aside from pirates as it's obvious from the patch notes? I'd take a guess and say Hegemony will at least have some but I hope other factions get a bit more distinguished from the rest. For example I don't know if Luddic Church has anything unique in their roster. Sorry if I'm mistaken or if this was already answered somewhere.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Jaghaimo

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 10, 2021, 01:17:14 AM »

As opposed to manual save-copying?

More like as opposed to alt+f4 (which any single player game with Iron Man mode is susceptible too, and some online like Path of Exile).

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 10, 2021, 04:19:19 AM »

As opposed to just getting wiped, I'd say. My issue with story points to escape a tough battle is that you can only do it before even trying. When you try to win against superior enemy (which I do most of the time, because those are the most interesting fights) but the battle goes badly, story points won't save you, and you will still be tempted to alt+f4. I'd be really cool if you could use a story point during a fight to instantly escape.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

EclipseRanger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 10, 2021, 04:34:26 AM »

I think the main issue with missiles isn't that Sabot's are too strong.For me,the main issue is that shields are just too damn important,so anything that reliably overwhelms them is bound to be too good.

Shields are the first defense that any ship has,and for the endgame threats(Ordos) its the main defense and largely the only one that matters,their armor is really weak.Exactly the same applies on the Tesseracts.Couple that with the fact that without shields,ships are open to all kinds of debuffs(overloading,weapons/engines disabled) and it's easy to see why Sabots are that good.
Not to mention,even without shields,Sabots overload massively,so they are always useful,unlike an Atropos,that just does a bit of damage on shields and nothing else.

For me,the solution is either reworking how shields work or changing Sabots to have a more long term effect.Instant bursts are always a weakness of shields,especially if the alternative is a massive overload.Also,Pilums are just too slow and fragile to do their work without spamming them,which feels unsatisfying.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 10, 2021, 04:39:47 AM »

I think the main issue with missiles isn't that Sabot's are too strong.For me,the main issue is that shields are just too damn important,so anything that reliably overwhelms them is bound to be too good.

Shields are the first defense that any ship has,and for the endgame threats(Ordos) its the main defense and largely the only one that matters,their armor is really weak.Exactly the same applies on the Tesseracts.Couple that with the fact that without shields,ships are open to all kinds of debuffs(overloading,weapons/engines disabled) and it's easy to see why Sabots are that good.
Not to mention,even without shields,Sabots overload massively,so they are always useful,unlike an Atropos,that just does a bit of damage on shields and nothing else.

For me,the solution is either reworking how shields work or changing Sabots to have a more long term effect.Instant bursts are always a weakness of shields,especially if the alternative is a massive overload.Also,Pilums are just too slow and fragile to do their work without spamming them,which feels unsatisfying.
Challenge accepted, Alex will now introduce a new end game enemy that won't even use shields :)
Please don't take me too seriously.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 10, 2021, 05:12:59 AM »

Yes, a recurring endgame-grade enemy that does not rely on shields.  Either phase ships or a massive armor tank mostly immune to debuffs and can regenerate armor and hull.  Or it can be zombie pirates taken to eleven.  You can wipe them, but you can never truly kill them on the campaign level, and they do bad things on the campaign level if ignored.  (But, campaign zombies are lame.)

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 10, 2021, 05:28:26 AM »

Challenge accepted, Alex will now introduce a new end game enemy that won't even use shields :)
Is it time for the return of derelict contingent zombie fleets?  ;D

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 10, 2021, 06:03:53 AM »

I honestly wouldn’t be opposed to zombie derelicts as an endgame threat that is the antithesis of Remnants. The trick would be to sometimes combine them so you can’t gear up for one without neglecting the other.

Zombie derelicts that don’t have shields and armor tank would be cool but as an endgame threat, they’d have a Necron “we’ll be back” rule where disabled but not destroyed ships randomly come back online (with degraded CR or something). Zombie horde indeed.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 10, 2021, 06:38:56 AM »

Challenges where you really want a bunch of HILs or HAGs or heavy anti-armor weapons.  Currently, the only real endgame threats favor high-efficiency kinetics (with some token anti-armor and/or EMP).

Or maybe just enemies with mediocre shields AND armor, but has an absurd amount of hull, and it regenerates, and fully immune to EMP so no easy knockouts.  Maybe something where Thumper can shine.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 72