Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Is there a rebalance mod with flux completely removed?  (Read 4632 times)

Pratapon51

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a rebalance mod with flux completely removed?
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2021, 10:29:50 PM »

Sunders would be rather depressing to use, unshielded..

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2021, 12:28:41 AM »

Sunders would be rather depressing to use, unshielded..

Eh

Beams do have one singular advantage and thats range and the sunder DOES have access to HIL wich would probably be the dominant beam weapon because of its HE damage plus in a no-shield meta EMP beams are a huge threat regardless of armor

My point is the Sunder would be a proper glass cannon, as long as it can hit something before getting hit itself it would be fine and with beam weapons he'd have pretty good odds of that

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2021, 11:47:12 AM »

It is really fascinating seeing hightech ships get overwhelmed by mass missile/rocket/bomb attacks because their fancy hightech point defence lasers simply cannot kill them fast enough.  ;D

Lowtech's plethora of extra ballistic mounts can make a ship near impervious to missile attack..... so long as their flux holds out.

just another example of why energy weapons or beams especially just do not work stat... (and i do not consider lances "beam weapons", despite people constantly arguing otherwise, they are lances)

Mira Lendin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2021, 11:42:34 AM »

I believe the guy is pointing that he dislikes the flux system because it's the exact opposite of a battery system, i personally agree as i like the concept of a limited energy that you will have to spend wisely more than having unlimited energy (theoretically) and having to keep an eye out on generated heat (flux) from spending that energy.
however:
after i got used to the flux system i believe it's better gameplay wise.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 11:44:06 AM by Mira Lendin »
^^

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2021, 12:30:13 PM »

I believe the guy is pointing that he dislikes the flux system because it's the exact opposite of a battery system, i personally agree as i like the concept of a limited energy that you will have to spend wisely more than having unlimited energy (theoretically) and having to keep an eye out on generated heat (flux) from spending that energy.
however:

I believe he hates the way shields and flux overall interact with eachother as it heavily favors the A.I. that can just micro its shields for pixel perfect management wich is SOME level of ***

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2021, 12:44:20 PM »

however:

I believe he hates the way shields and flux overall interact with eachother as it heavily favors the A.I. that can just micro its shields for pixel perfect management wich is SOME level of ***

Sounds like someone just feels burned 'cuz they feel game just needs a mistake heuristic (which it kinda does for everything but [REDACTED], but maybe it already has that?)... but flux makes code much more lightweight compared to tracking individual ammo counters + AI that needs to not be too stupid but not too conservative with limited ammo/laser energy output.
I wasn't always a Judge...

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2021, 01:04:11 PM »

I'll note that the game doesn't have an AI that micros its shields well/handles flux with amazing precision. It has a noticeable 'reaction time' (I believe achieved with slightly random length intervals between the evaluation routine runs again), only considers a single weapon group when evaluating performance vs the target's defense type, is cautious in its vent logic, and often overloads in situations that a player can see coming. In practice its an opponent that mimics being ok at flux management and good players are significantly better (I don't think this is a bad thing, except when obvious bugs pop up - a perfect enemy isn't the goal, just one thats fun to fight against and that often means leaving openings).

Rose_Eleanor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2021, 03:22:41 AM »

Hiiya peoples!
I've not really used the forms to reply, and I've only used discord until now.

But. There is a vanilla hidden hullmod that removes all weapon flux costs. It's only hidden everywhere as it's normally only built into fighters.
It's called No Weapon Flux, and the id for it is no_weapon_flux
It's under the first set of built in hullmods on the vanilla hullmods csv file.
This will not remove or change anything with shields. Also this will make the deployment cost for vessels to change and would take a while to balance.
Hope this helps a little :)

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2021, 07:50:19 AM »

I believe the guy is pointing that he dislikes the flux system because it's the exact opposite of a battery system

As I mentioned above though, the flux system is actually mathematically the same as a battery (or energy) system, if you think of it as energy = max flux - current flux. Conversely, flux is representing how much of the battery is empty. It's essentially just a display difference. In theory, depending on how hard the UI is to change, someone can make a cosmetic mod to have the game display in terms of energy instead of flux, with no changes to the underlying game mechanics.
Pages: 1 2 [3]