Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: More low tech ship with integratted weapon systems?  (Read 872 times)

Kanjejou

• Commander
    • View Profile
More low tech ship with integratted weapon systems?
« on: October 21, 2021, 06:29:18 AM »

I seriously love the onslaugth and its twin thermal lance but feel like the concept of guns build-in ships should be more common on low tech ships.

For exemple the a low tech destroyer with a build-in single thermal lance or a cruiser with build in arbalest autocanon broadside (like 6 of them)

LinWasTaken

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: More low tech ship with integratted weapon systems?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 09:41:16 AM »

Imagen there being a BIG  "*** you" laser beam built-in in the middle of a "Conquest" ship.
I'm salivating from just the thought of something that grand.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 11:48:53 AM »

i think what makes it special is that theres few of them. if it becomes the norm then it is functionally just a secondary ship system which makes it far less interesting
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 12:01:16 PM »

Most importantly, built-in weapons aren't very interesting in the first place. You can make it fun to use them (e.g. Adamas from Interstellar Imperium), but for ships without a strong gimmick, they are just regular ships with fewer loadouts.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 01:09:12 AM »

Yeah, see: the Monitor.

Unless you're asking for unique built-in weapons (i.e. TPC), just making generic weapons built-in isn't a great idea unless the goal is to restrict the ship in question from putting more powerful weapons in those slots.

And honestly I'd rather have more modular weapons than having a weapon that can only be used on one specific hull.

Kanjejou

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 04:36:18 AM »

Well most ship dont have hteir whole weapon slot filled so Its not too mcuh fo a problem...

The monitor problem is more that with its two build in flak and 360 shield its still bad at its job because its too slow and  produce too much flux most of the time to be an efficient piket.

Indeed i would prefer special weapons build in. like the tempest got special drones and onslaught special canons. maybe make a mudkipper MK3 with a build in trash canon that shot rocks pellets into space

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 11:13:28 PM »

If a ship does have built in weapons, then logically these weapons would have to be better somehow than it's equivalent (assuming such exists) installed normally.
Such as being more Flux efficient, more damaging, possessing qualities/abilities the normal one doesn't have, etc.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2021, 06:57:24 PM »

If a ship does have built in weapons, then logically these weapons would have to be better somehow than it's equivalent (assuming such exists) installed normally.
Such as being more Flux efficient, more damaging, possessing qualities/abilities the normal one doesn't have, etc.

thats not actually necessarily true, filling out what would otherwise be slots full of better guns with worse guns would make for an interesting way to tone down the balance of what might otherwise be an overtuned ship.
like you could build a frigate with 5 guns designed explicitly to be unbeatable in a kite battle, then make 2 of its 3 forward facing slots built-in mortars so it only actually gets 1 slot to use for kiting. those mortars would still be useful for a ballistic kiting ship, since its kiting smalls are all kinetic so it has a built-in "close in & break armor" option, but that will never be as useful as 3 railguns, AND, having "close in & break armor with mortars" be always a part of the ship's kite would mean it has a baked-in oppertunity for ships it kites to get hits in, & if the ship never gives them that opportunity then its giving up something for it (operating time spent wearing thru armor with railguns instead of mortars)
in fact, one of my favorite ships is a modded ship with 6 drones that shoot at your target when you do, that gets to be far better than it would otherwise get to be because theyre all tac lasers. if it had open slots in their place instead of built-in the ship would have to be weaker to the point it wouldnt be fun to me to play, but since i like the terrible guns it has built in and it get to be OP otherwise, its a great ship
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2021, 07:04:40 PM »

All I want from integrated weapons is AI not killing itself from misusing them.