Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [0.95a] Union Rail-Systems 0.1  (Read 3615 times)

Quacken

• Ensign
  • Quack.
    • View Profile
[0.95a] Union Rail-Systems 0.1
« on: October 20, 2021, 11:59:40 AM »

Union Rail-Systems
Do you like railguns? Do you like bigger railguns?
Do you perhaps, like built in railguns? What about ships built around a railgun?

Welcome then, to the Union Rail-Systems.

Here, we currently stock a few deluxe attack ships dedicated to flanking your enemies and punching through shields and armour with relative ease.
Included will also be 2 custom weapons to outfit said ships.

Download
Should be ok to add to saves. Just ships and weapons.

The Fleet
Spoiler

Flag
The pride of URS, updated and refitted since it's first conception, it was the prototype that lead the the development of the current available fleet.

Darner
Named after a blue species of dragonflies, the Darner is a swift and fragile striker capable of punching well above its class.

Mastiff
A sturdy and hearty frigate, the Mastiff is a reliable ship captained by many early on in their careers.
(Name change pending, was notified of another mod using the name)

Gunbird
An attack frigate with plenty of forward fire and horsepower, but severely lacks in defence and brakes.

[close]

Doctrine Explanation

Spoiler
The current doctrine is a huge focus on burst that is appropriate to the class that the ship and weapon is supposed to be able to punch up into.
Because there is a huge burst potential, I've felt the need to limit the sustained dps significantly, so that it forces the player to manoeuvre around shields if possible or time their strikes with their fleet.

Because the ships are so highly mobile, it was also taken into account to absolutely gut the defensive side so that getting caught with your pants down is very much a no no.

The pd Stapler is just me wanting dakka defence, I can't really explain myself more. Heh.

[close]

Future Plans

Spoiler
Basically, I started this project with only "Railgun+ship" in mind and over the last 3 weeks, it's expanded to several ships and weapons, and of-course there's plans for more.
I would like this to be a faction mod once the roster gets well rounded enough to do so. I might make it a sub-faction as a intermediate solution.

I have ideas to fill in the current ships' lacking defensive options with other ships that almost entirely focus on pd.
Some could be basic ships with a lot of small turret mounts or medium side turrets for more range and area control.
I have ideas for PD drone ships that can be pushed into an offensive roll, but will likely be best as a missile and fighter defence.
I have ideas for cruisers with even larger rail cannons and a capital ship that is basically just the Flag but supercap, with modules and animations (bit like the Versant from Diable Avionics).

I can imagine this will take months to complete, and the scope will likely not stop expanding for a while.

[close]

It's going to take time bring my ideas to fruition, I'm just an artist dabbling into modding, and haven't really started coding, so *Shrug*.

Any feedback is appreciated.
I have put my heart and soul into this, and any balance changes will be made with much sweat and tears.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 05:11:57 AM by Quacken »

Weftin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Union Rail-Systems 0.1
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 12:52:17 PM »

Very fun idea, I very much love the idea of spinal mounted railguns, I'll have to install it and try it out

SpaceDrake

• Admiral
  • Piloting space mecha for fun and profit(?)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 04:17:13 AM »

I definitely dig the aesthetics of the preliminary ships. The next time I spin up a new game, I'll give these a whirl.

NightfallGemini

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 06:46:01 PM »

these all look great! the Flag definitely looks like fun, not enough true sniper ships in the game below at least heavy cruiser class.

Timid

• Admiral
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 07:27:26 PM »

Wow!

Quacken

• Ensign
  • Quack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 05:30:46 AM »

these all look great! the Flag definitely looks like fun, not enough true sniper ships in the game below at least heavy cruiser class.

Thanks! There's going to be changes to the Flag to push it even more into a tactical sniper role, once I figure out how to do hull systems.
Big stonky damage.

Quacken

• Ensign
  • Quack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 05:32:31 AM »

I definitely dig the aesthetics of the preliminary ships. The next time I spin up a new game, I'll give these a whirl.

Please! By all means :D
Feel free to give me your thoughts.

imbatman

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 03:30:48 PM »

Congrats, you're my first comment, as I spun up an account due to a deep seated love of the expanse, and have spent the past few days jumping into modding with the intent of making ships inspired from that universe with central railguns!

I absolutely dig the idea, well done.

Quacken

• Ensign
  • Quack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 12:48:33 AM »

Congrats, you're my first comment, as I spun up an account due to a deep seated love of the expanse, and have spent the past few days jumping into modding with the intent of making ships inspired from that universe with central railguns!

I absolutely dig the idea, well done.

Thanks! There will be more, but I'm currently busy so the expansion of the roster will take some time.
There's a whole bunch of resources floating around, most will either refer back to the forums or wiki. It's all documented and pinned in the Unofficial SS discord's modding channels.

Hopefully, you stick around in the SS modding community :D