Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paint jobs and ship skins  (Read 2826 times)

Lukas1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Paint jobs and ship skins
« on: October 17, 2021, 09:15:26 AM »

i love the ability of using story point to kit owut your ships and make them special. buy still they dont stand out in battle and ui. so i had this idea
how about we add paint jobs with colors and shades and patterns. graphitie and even engien lights ? to truley make your ships special and have more personality to em and add role play potential.
imagine having your entier fleet have one uniform color with the main ships having special patterns to signify that they are special "role play wise" and hell. make your entier faction use said colors. that would be cool thx

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Paint jobs and ship skins
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 12:11:26 PM »

Sounds like someone just doesn't feel like modding such a tedious undertaking themselves...!

But seriously, it would be kinda cool to reward players that run an entire fleet of a single faction ship type (pirate, TT, LP, XIV, etc.) with what is basically reputation free piracy, where the faction that your ships look like gets blamed instead (ie, a false flag incident); if you fail/lose/get "caught," you lose rep with both factions.  However, adding a paint recoloring action would basically negate the point of the previous suggestion.  So basically, no, a paint shop is bad idea, lots of mechanical turk work with little payoff beyond aesthetics.  I would rather have Alex play with fluid dynamics code so that battles which occur in solar flare or neutron star beam look way way waaay cooler.  Or at least more system backgrounds like the Unknown Skies mod, or the low-orbit battle maps in the Scy Nation mod.

Why do people keep asking for this nonsense...?
I wasn't always a Judge...

Lukas1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 06:05:55 PM »

nah dude i just want cosmetics only. why there is an issue with having cool paint jobs for ships "other than technical issues" is byond me. surely i the normal person cant see things like the giga IQ geniuses who say having a ui improvment or QoL features are bad. 

edit: oh yeah ib4 "camoflage" they use identification codes to tell who's who. because without the ui you cant tell anyone apart
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 06:28:03 PM by Lukas1 »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 06:49:12 PM »

You are right Lukas, the only serious objection to repainting ships is the technical side.

Alternate sprites, like the several colors of Eagle in the game's files, quickly runs into hard video memory limits, while a dynamic painting system would require completely reworking Starsector's art style to not look like *** when recolored by code.

Sad, but that's what it is. Not quite the same thing, but there seems to be a growing trend among mods of offering reskin packs.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 07:07:14 PM »

Vaguely tempted to try a mod where player has a GUI screen to apply a set of decals to a ship, which are rendered as sprites in combat/refit.

Though it'd probably look mediocre at best, especially if it doesn't interact with GraphicsLib features.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 04:10:10 AM »

while a dynamic painting system would require completely reworking Starsector's art style to not look like *** when recolored by code.
Uhh... what?
You just reserve a palette of colours for remaps, then for any given ship paint the bits you want to be recolour-able with those colours.

Lukas1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 10:10:46 AM »

dam. im sadge now. but i understand why we cant have paints