Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: See com ranges on maps  (Read 607 times)

JaronK

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
See com ranges on maps
« on: October 17, 2021, 03:38:04 AM »

When I'm doing deep space exploration, it's really handy to know where I've activated com relays so I can go check for new bounties.  It would be great to be able to see this on the map... just colored circles showing the range of nearby coms.  If that's too much, then having a tab where I can show all active relays would work fine.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: See com ranges on maps
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 05:52:30 AM »

This gets excessive with core worlds and all of the systems the player builds com relays in.  Circles for all such systems would probably look like a daisy field.

What would be more handy is another tab that should which systems have comm relays.  Might have overlap with inhabited worlds, but Pathers have one uninhabited world in core, and player may plant comm relays in fringe worlds for news.

JaronK

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 10:13:22 AM »

The core would mostly look like a big blob when you have that tab showing, but that's fine.   It's almost all in range.  Everywhere else though, it would be really handy.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 10:45:01 AM »

You can also only draw the outermost outline, or use a flat color so that you don't see individual circles but a uniform covered area.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 12:31:39 PM »

Maybe something like the optional fuel range overlay?  Could still look like flowers, but at least it's only when you want it.

Sandor057

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 03:15:27 AM »

Would be quite useful. It feels sometimes a bit annoying getting just a tiny bit out of the range and having to circle back a bit to see where I can take my recreational dru... I mean organics, food and domestic goods.