Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 30

Author Topic: [0.97a] Junk Yard Dogs - V 2.9.3 - 03/10/24  (Read 201723 times)

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a] Junk Yard Dogs - V 2.7.3 - 05/12/23
« Reply #360 on: May 12, 2023, 09:51:48 AM »

v2.7.3  released today - Not save compatible with prior versions - Sorry, if I had only waited another day before releasing 2.72 :(
   -Re-enabled Nexerelin requirement, interactions and features

LukeTasrook

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 03, 2023, 01:41:58 AM »

Hey. I just wanna say that I really, really like this mod. The names of the ships especially send me into laughing fits. Thank you for this.

I wanted to report one thing that miffs me a bit. The asteroid fields around "Jigsaw" and "Kong" appear as "missing string". They don't have specified designations.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 03, 2023, 01:52:01 AM »

Hey. I just wanna say that I really, really like this mod. The names of the ships especially send me into laughing fits. Thank you for this.
Dad jokes, best jokes :)
I wanted to report one thing that miffs me a bit. The asteroid fields around "Jigsaw" and "Kong" appear as "missing string". They don't have specified designations.
Sorry about that, I thought I had fixed that in an earlier patch. Thank you for the kind words and the error report, I'll have that taken care of in the next update.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a] Junk Yard Dogs - V 2.8 - 06/03/23
« Reply #363 on: June 03, 2023, 10:49:36 AM »

v2.8 released today - Save Compatible with v2.7.3

Some code updates and several error corrections. All the details can be found in the changelog posted on the forum OP and in the RAR.
Two player suggestions made it into this one and I am thankful for them all so please keep them coming and let's make JYD the best it can be.

gladius2metal

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Junk Yard Dogs - V 2.6 - 02/23/23
« Reply #364 on: July 06, 2023, 09:48:42 AM »

As to their combat power, I have put them through several balance passes with a couple volunteer beta testers over the course of the mod and I feel they are in a good space right now. In my games I role play as a scavenger and do not buy ships so I only use the ones I start off with and salvage. I have not done a full "JYD only" fleet game in some time though I set up the faction to offer every class and type of ship so maybe I'll do that. I'm working on a Hiver update ATM but once that is done, I'll do a balance pass on them again, nothing too drastic mind you I don't want you to fall out of love!

I am just playing a Nex campaign as pirates with this as the only faction mod added, neither I nor the AI has much of a chance against the JYD. I replaced my regular tankers with JYD tankers (and not the combat tanker), they have more capacity and all other stats are better, they also come with drones and thus can be deployed in combat, in contrast to my regular tankers. The troop transport is even worse, has advanced grounds support package and enough points that I can use it safely as a missile boat in combat.
Meanwhile I rip through Hegemony, Luddic Church, Tri Tachyon, etc. fleets like butter [EDIT2: with my regular fleet]. Might be wrong, but to me it seems like every JYD ship has like 20-60 extra OP points available in comparison to vanilla, on top of that a good flux ratio and almost always built in drones / fighters etc.

EDIT: great work and I really appreciate it, yet I don't think the ships are balanced or I am doing something completely wrong. I generally try to play only with pirate ships, I have a few captured JYD ships in my line-up, but they just feel too strong also when I use them.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 10:15:12 AM by gladius2metal »

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 06, 2023, 11:35:56 AM »

I am just playing a Nex campaign as pirates with this as the only faction mod added, neither I nor the AI has much of a chance against the JYD. I replaced my regular tankers with JYD tankers (and not the combat tanker), they have more capacity and all other stats are better, they also come with drones and thus can be deployed in combat, in contrast to my regular tankers. The troop transport is even worse, has advanced grounds support package and enough points that I can use it safely as a missile boat in combat.
Meanwhile I rip through Hegemony, Luddic Church, Tri Tachyon, etc. fleets like butter [EDIT2: with my regular fleet]. Might be wrong, but to me it seems like every JYD ship has like 20-60 extra OP points available in comparison to vanilla, on top of that a good flux ratio and almost always built in drones / fighters etc.
The general consensus on discord is that I have no clue on how to balance my mods and so I guess that is the current status of JYD. Though I have done several balance passes I do admit that I have their OP inflated because I generally enjoy having hullmods on my ships. The drones on each ship are a core concept of the mod and I felt that they were not too powerful but yet again I guess since I am clueless, well they probably are.
EDIT: great work and I really appreciate it, yet I don't think the ships are balanced or I am doing something completely wrong. I generally try to play only with pirate ships, I have a few captured JYD ships in my line-up, but they just feel too strong also when I use them.
I am torn to be honest, I have several people who enjoy JYD as it is and it has hundreds of consistent downloads when I update the mod. Then I have players such as yourself that feel it is too much. I am not a game designer or even a decent coder but I am all about giving players choices and variety in their gameplay and I feel my mods give options that others do not.  I feel it is up to the player whether or not they want to kit out a JYD ship as a super buff fighting ship, a logistics mule or a blend of both. As it is a single player game it hurts no ones game play if others enjoy playing that way. Also on the flip side, I have them set as neutralists so if you leave them alone when you have them installed as a NPC faction then they should generally leave you alone.

I appreciate the kind words and thank you for them so please do not misunderstand my reply. I rely on posts such as yours to keep my excesses in check. :) I have not received a post on the forum with specific areas that JYD could be improved in some time but I will give discord a peek and see if there are any leads there. I feel that I have all my mods stable and have some time so I'll tinker with JYD next. If anyone reading this has a request, concern or just wants to say hello then know that I check the forums daily and would welcome any input.

gladius2metal

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 06, 2023, 11:48:24 AM »

Quote from: Dazs
I have several people who enjoy JYD as it is and it has hundreds of consistent downloads when I update the mod.
From what I have seen it is a great mod and a lot of work went into it!!!

It is my circumstances, it is my second Nex campaign, the first one was too easy. Now, I selected pirates (which is tagged as hard) and I am very far into the campaign, fighting off attacks from all sides, yet, it took me a while to realize that JYD is so strong, but that could also be due to how I built my ships.

Also balancing something is very hard to do in general.

Maybe add in the mod description, something like "Warning, some people think that JYD ships are overpowered."

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 07, 2023, 03:17:53 AM »

From what I have seen it is a great mod and a lot of work went into it!!!
Why thank you, I do appreciate that. I do not think of it as "work" per-se, I just felt there wasn't a mod that quite fit what I wanted and I really enjoy the game. Along the way I picked up several skills and enjoyed the process.
It is my circumstances, it is my second Nex campaign, the first one was too easy. Now, I selected pirates (which is tagged as hard) and I am very far into the campaign, fighting off attacks from all sides, yet, it took me a while to realize that JYD is so strong, but that could also be due to how I built my ships.
So you only have NEX, it's dependent mods and JYD installed? Wow I am honored that of all the faction mods out there you chose this one. One thing to keep in mind about JYD though is they HATE pirates. I have it built into their in game lore and they have several bounties to hunt down the pirate clan that spurred them to form the faction.
Also balancing something is very hard to do in general.
I had no clue what I was doing when I started and it has been over a year with a changelog so large I cannot fit the entire list on the forum page because it takes too many characters :)
Maybe add in the mod description, something like "Warning, some people think that JYD ships are overpowered."
Not a bad suggestion, probably something along the lines of Vanilla plus or something like that. I'll give it some thought and change the mod description line on the forum OP. I have some free time this weekend and plan to work on the mod then so stay tuned!

Bonisagus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 26, 2023, 10:07:19 AM »

Really loving the mod, one of my favorite faction mods as well. Thanks for the great work man.

Question: Is it intentional that both Militarized Subsystems and Exploration Refit can be applied to civilian vessels? Doesn't seem overpowered pr se, but it does make civilian hulls particularly valuable for explorers as they become quite fast.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 26, 2023, 11:10:57 AM »

Really loving the mod, one of my favorite faction mods as well. Thanks for the great work man.
Thank you for the kind words, I sort of needed it. After doing some searching on discord for ideas to improve JYD after reading gladius2metal good suggestion, I just fell into a pit of trolls that sucked the will out of me to keep modding.
Question: Is it intentional that both Militarized Subsystems and Exploration Refit can be applied to civilian vessels? Doesn't seem overpowered pr se, but it does make civilian hulls particularly valuable for explorers as they become quite fast.
Yes it is, I made that modification as a means to improve civ ships that did not really go into combat like a freighter but still would benefit from the removal of civ. I felt that if you wanted to invest that much OP into the combination of the two hull mods then it would leave less room to modify a civilian ship to be on par with a military one that would not need to invest into Militarized Subsystems.

Bonisagus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 27, 2023, 12:51:46 AM »

That sucks. Both this mod and the Hivers mod are absolute stables in my playthroughs, so for me Starsector would be a lot less enjoyable without you putting in this work.

That makes sense about the Exploration Refit, which I will now use on my civvie ships in good conscience :)

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 27, 2023, 03:07:47 AM »

That sucks. Both this mod and the Hivers mod are absolute stables in my playthroughs, so for me Starsector would be a lot less enjoyable without you putting in this work.
Aww thank you so much for the kind words. I've been trolled since I first released mods and I usually just let it go but the level of discord vitriol recently was just a bit much. But fear not! I am not done with modding Starsector, I just needed to step away from it and do other things for a bit.
That makes sense about the Exploration Refit, which I will now use on my civvie ships in good conscience :)
Nice! Go forth and explore! :)

gladius2metal

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 27, 2023, 03:59:56 AM »

I've been trolled since I first released mods and I usually just let it go but the level of discord vitriol recently was just a bit much.
said to hear that :(
Yet, keep in mind, that trolls are generally people that can't create anything meaningful as such they resort to destruction often disguised as "criticism", "feedback", etc.. It is basically just masked envy or outright resentment.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: July 27, 2023, 05:24:01 AM »

I've been trolled since I first released mods and I usually just let it go but the level of discord vitriol recently was just a bit much.
said to hear that :(
Yet, keep in mind, that trolls are generally people that can't create anything meaningful as such they resort to destruction often disguised as "criticism", "feedback", etc.. It is basically just masked envy or outright resentment.
Thank you for weighing in, I truly appreciate the support. I look at it as constructive criticism and have gleaned tidbits from the comments in the past that I have found useful, heck CFT's Foudre is a product of me responding to trolling in a creative way :) 

Stukov81

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: July 27, 2023, 09:23:57 AM »

Thanks for all your work! Your mods are truly awesome!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 30