Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31

Author Topic: [0.97a] Junk Yard Dogs - V 3.1.0 - 04/13/24 - Yet another sprite update  (Read 207918 times)

Holy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Junk Yard Dogs - V 1.75a - 04/09/22
« Reply #225 on: May 23, 2022, 10:55:01 AM »

Thank you for the kind words! :)

I added the colony structure from a player suggestion a couple pages back and again added the upgrade to an industry from yet another player's suggestion. The point of the structure is to help a fledging colony make some extra cash as a head start and the upgrade is to make it worthwhile to keep around once the colony is established. I struggled trying to balance the industry in making it worthwhile to build but not too OP. There is a cost requirement of ship hulls that I thought kept it in line but I'll give it a look see. I have Legacy of Arkgneisis installed, I just never looked over the code. When I have some free time, I will look it over as you suggested. I am currently working on a graphics pack for Hiver Swarm (should be done soon) but I'll add it to my to-do list for JYD.

Thank you again for the well thought out suggestions.

Yeah the Scrapyard is way too strong, on my size six colony it used to make up for half of the colony's income without taking up an industrial slot.

This is the way I have balanced it for my game:

For the workshop:
public class JYD_workshop extends BaseIndustry {

public void apply() {
      super.apply(true);     

demand(Commodities.HEAVY_MACHINERY, 3);
      demand(Commodities.SUPPLIES, 3);     
      demand(Commodities.SHIPS, 3);

supply(Commodities.METALS, 4);     
      supply(Commodities.FUEL, 2);         

Pair<String, Integer> deficit = getMaxDeficit(Commodities.SHIPS);

applyDeficitToProduction(1, deficit, Commodities.METALS);
      applyDeficitToProduction(1, deficit, Commodities.FUEL);         

if (!isFunctional()) {
         supply.clear();
      }     

}

For the Scrapyard:
public class JYD_scrapyard extends BaseIndustry {

public void apply() {
      super.apply(true);

int size = market.getSize();     

demand(Commodities.HEAVY_MACHINERY, size);
      demand(Commodities.SUPPLIES, size);     
      demand(Commodities.SHIPS, size);

supply(Commodities.METALS, size + 2);   
      supply(Commodities.FUEL, size - 1);         

Pair<String, Integer> deficit = getMaxDeficit(Commodities.SHIPS);

applyDeficitToProduction(1, deficit, Commodities.METALS);
      applyDeficitToProduction(1, deficit, Commodities.FUEL);         

if (!isFunctional()) {
         supply.clear();
      }     

}

No idea if this is balanced or not for the upkeep cost, I am basing it off of a size 6 planet with a bunch of modifiers.

I removed it scaling to colony size without taking up an industry slot, the ore and rare ore production doesn't make too much sense for a scrap yard, and the transplutonic production is way too strong for something that takes up no industry space.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 10:56:56 AM by Holy »

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Junk Yard Dogs - V 1.8 - 05/11/22
« Reply #226 on: May 23, 2022, 12:45:41 PM »

Wow even attached downloadable files, you are on point!

Thank you for taking the time to post this. I received some balancing notes on discord that I will incorporate with yours for a patch. I am currently working on an update for CFT but when I am done with that I'll have one for JYD, probably by end of week if not sooner.

Holy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Junk Yard Dogs - V 1.8 - 05/11/22
« Reply #227 on: May 23, 2022, 12:57:34 PM »

Wow even attached downloadable files, you are on point!

Thank you for taking the time to post this. I received some balancing notes on discord that I will incorporate with yours for a patch. I am currently working on an update for CFT but when I am done with that I'll have one for JYD, probably by end of week if not sooner.

No problem, happy to help

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Junk Yard Dogs - V 1.85 - 05/28/22
« Reply #228 on: May 28, 2022, 05:46:53 PM »

V1.85 released today - Save compatible with version 1.8 but some updates require a new game to take effect

Small balancing and bugfix update, details available in the changelog posted on the forum OP and in the RAR. Most importantly I added an update to the bounty CSV that *should* fix the conflict that was preventing other bounties to spawn. Third time's charm as they say :)

Nyctophonik

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 28, 2022, 06:09:16 PM »

-Updated the starting relationships with the vanilla factions to more neutral and inline with JYD lore - Ty N3ophobe for your thoughts.
   -Changed the size of the pirate planet, Eldorado, in Dogstar and lowered their core usage from beta cores to gamma cores - This should balance their economy vs other pirate planets.

Oh hey that was me!!!  ;D
Can't wait to try this out.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 28, 2022, 06:24:45 PM »

Hello there, I gave N3ophobe credit and a TY in the changelog notes. I assume that is you on discord. (least I hope so) Nice to hear you are excited heh.

Nyctophonik

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 29, 2022, 07:57:50 PM »

Hello there, I gave N3ophobe credit and a TY in the changelog notes. I assume that is you on discord. (least I hope so) Nice to hear you are excited heh.

Yep, it's me, I use a different name here. Hopefully the changes work well!

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 05, 2022, 01:51:59 AM »

Quick little FYI I posted on discord for a player who liked the mod but not the dog puns I use for naming ships:

I get dad jokes aren't for everyone. To turn off the dog pun naming go to the mod folder and navigate to data/world/factions and select the file JYD.faction and made a backup somewhere if you want. Now open the source file with an editor, I recommend notepad + +, navigate to line 19 which should read     "shipNameSources":{ now under that on line 20 it says     "dog puns":10," - replace "dog puns" with "GENERAL"  and JYD will now use basic naming for new ships. Note: any existing dog pun ships will stay the same, only new ships will have the new naming. If you want a more broad naming convention, you can go to starsector-core and look at the vanilla faction files for other naming to use if you'd prefer. (just don't change those files) -Enjoy!

AKAJIA

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 05, 2022, 08:20:29 PM »

Hi, I like this MOD, can you allow me to publish it to Chinese forum and translate it? I will keep the author information and the original link.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 06, 2022, 02:48:39 AM »

Hello there. I am flattered that you would go to that effort, feel free to translate JYD and post it in another language's forum.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Junk Yard Dogs - V 1.9 - 06/07/22
« Reply #235 on: June 07, 2022, 07:43:17 AM »

V1.9 released today - Save Game compatible with v1.85 - Changed ships in your save may need to be re-outfitted

Yet another graphic update based on discord "feedback" and some light code adjustments - Changelog on the Forum OP and in the RAR has the details

Image of the changed sprites:

I am always open to suggestions, complaints or bug reports for any of my mods (listed and linked in my forum signature below). If you have any please contact me on the forum or discord, I check each daily.

Enjoy!

Regularity

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 07, 2022, 01:49:57 PM »

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this already, but the pirate flagship descriptions seems to suggest they're unique (like other IBB ships), but it seems they can appear on multiple occasions in randomly generated fleets, and even be mass produced via blueprints. I suspect this is a bug as other mods' unique bounty flagships don't exhibit this ability to be mass produced or appear repeatedly, but you could have done this intentionally for all I know.

Also, for balance feedback: Deployment points needs a looking at, in my opinion, especially for hybrid transport-warship classes. As someone with over 100 active mods, JYD (and CFT, your other mod) have by a significant margin the highest firepower-to-deployment-cost ratio. In my games I end up using JYD and CFT transports as my mainline warships due to the fact I can deploy 200-400% more vessels than enemy warship fleets without a proportional reduction in ship fighting ability.

The main reason seems to be because these ships have deployment costs roughly the same as unarmed civilian ships of the same class, but possess the firepower and ordnance of medium-quality warships, along with the corresponding number of mounts with great coverage (most non-front ones usually have 180-360 degree firing arcs). That alone would make them worthwhile, but they also have the additional perk of often have literally the largest cargo bays of their class (or at least top 5) -- again, that's with 100 active mods -- so completely obsolete the need for conventional civilian supply ships and their corresponding costs, fleet size, and enemy detection penalties. Finally since the game classifies them as non-combat ships, their presence in your fleet does not contribute to combat ship fleet composition, so they do not reduce XP gain or scare off enemy fleets like normal combat ships.

Some examples of what I mean:
  • Troublesome. Destroyer. Costs 5 deployment points. Deployment cost of a cheap war frigate, but the firepower of a very heavy destroyer or very light cruiser. Also acts as marine support on top of those bonuses.
  • Carrack. Cruiser. Costs 10 deployment points, roughly a higher quality destroyer. Its five medium, five small mounts puts its firepower well above destroyers of the same cost. Oh, also literally the single largest (cruiser-class) cargo hold I've seen across the ~40 mods I have installed, with cargo shielding and salvage facilities to boot.
  • Intelligent. Destroyer. Costs 5 deployment points. Unlike the others its cost roughly matches its fighting ability (cost of a mid-tier frigate, firepower just below that). But it's noteworthy here because it simultaneously fills almost every non-combat niche at once: it has more cargo than a buffalo (possibly the largest destroyer cargobay among my 100 mods), and in-built hullmods for salvaging, surveying, and boosting fleet detection range. So having these in your fleet can obsolete basically every form of destroyer-tier support ship in existence, except marine support. Which can mean room for a lot more warship in your fleet. That said you can still throw them into battle and they will fight with near parity against other ships of the same deployment costs; they don't suffer for this super-utility by being defenseless ships.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 01:55:33 PM by Regularity »

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 07, 2022, 03:24:48 PM »

A well thought out and reasoned posting. I can only imagine how long it took you and I appreciate the time you took.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this already, but the pirate flagship descriptions seems to suggest they're unique (like other IBB ships), but it seems they can appear on multiple occasions in randomly generated fleets, and even be mass produced via blueprints. I suspect this is a bug as other mods' unique bounty flagships don't exhibit this ability to be mass produced or appear repeatedly, but you could have done this intentionally for all I know.
Originally I had restricted the pirate ships to the Vayra's bounties embedded in the JYD code. Sadly, she has been absent from the modding scene and not many people use her mod now since it takes an unofficial update to get it to work. I did try to incorporate them into the Magic bounty system but apparently all I wound up doing was disabling other modder's bounties so for now I removed or disabled all the custom bounties I had wrote. I did not want them to go to waste so I decided to add them to the general pirate fleets so they would see some use. If she ever returns (please we miss you!) and updates her mod, I will restrict them to the bounties again.
Also, for balance feedback: Deployment points needs a looking at, in my opinion, especially for hybrid transport-warship classes. As someone with over 100 active mods, JYD (and CFT, your other mod) have by a significant margin the highest firepower-to-deployment-cost ratio. In my games I end up using JYD and CFT transports as my mainline warships due to the fact I can deploy 200-400% more vessels than enemy warship fleets without a proportional reduction in ship fighting ability.

The main reason seems to be because these ships have deployment costs roughly the same as unarmed civilian ships of the same class, but possess the firepower and ordnance of medium-quality warships, along with the corresponding number of mounts with great coverage (most non-front ones usually have 180-360 degree firing arcs). That alone would make them worthwhile, but they also have the additional perk of often have literally the largest cargo bays of their class (or at least top 5) -- again, that's with 100 active mods -- so completely obsolete the need for conventional civilian supply ships and their corresponding costs, fleet size, and enemy detection penalties. Finally since the game classifies them as non-combat ships, their presence in your fleet does not contribute to combat ship fleet composition, so they do not reduce XP gain or scare off enemy fleets like normal combat ships.

Some examples of what I mean:
  • Troublesome. Destroyer. Costs 5 deployment points. Deployment cost of a cheap war frigate, but the firepower of a very heavy destroyer or very light cruiser. Also acts as marine support on top of those bonuses.
  • Carrack. Cruiser. Costs 10 deployment points, roughly a higher quality destroyer. Its five medium, five small mounts puts its firepower well above destroyers of the same cost. Oh, also literally the single largest (cruiser-class) cargo hold I've seen across the ~40 mods I have installed, with cargo shielding and salvage facilities to boot.
  • Intelligent. Destroyer. Costs 5 deployment points. Unlike the others its cost roughly matches its fighting ability (cost of a mid-tier frigate, firepower just below that). But it's noteworthy here because it simultaneously fills almost every non-combat niche at once: it has more cargo than a buffalo (possibly the largest destroyer cargobay among my 100 mods), and in-built hullmods for salvaging, surveying, and boosting fleet detection range. So having these in your fleet can obsolete basically every form of destroyer-tier support ship in existence, except marine support. Which can mean room for a lot more warship in your fleet. That said you can still throw them into battle and they will fight with near parity against other ships of the same deployment costs; they don't suffer for this super-utility by being defenseless ships.
You make a good point and not one I had considered. When I initially put together the ships I compared them to vanilla ship analogs to determine their worth. Over the several patches since then I have modified several ships but had not considered the deployment costs. I just released an update and had planned to work on one of my other mods next but I will give the ship.CSV a good look and take your feedback to heart. I cannot say at this stage how long until I can get a balance patch out since I am sure while I am there I'll notice other things.

This is the kind of feedback I need because I am not a professional and I am pretty much winging it and learning as I go. Thank you so much for giving me some things to think about and work on to make JYD better.

Usgiyi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 07, 2022, 09:37:50 PM »

When I was playing around with the missile cruiser I noticed that I couldn't tell the difference between the heavy & light drill missiles. So I zoomed all the way in & found out why.. the missiles were so small they were nearly invisible. The LR & srm sprites have a bunch of dead space in them and when paired with the seemingly incorrect size values in the .proj file, the missiles get scaled down to, as far as I can tell.. a one pixel wide sprite. I removed all the dead space & set the size to what seemed correct, tested in game and indeed the missiles were now visible. Then I noticed the static sprites for the missile launchers & set about making them dynamic. While doing that I.. kinda didn't like the sprites for the SRM & MRM, so I made new ones based on the LRM. So after a couple hours of tinkering I figured I might as well give you the result.

While testing missiles I noticed the small planet buster torpedo has a 3 second chargeup time; making it pretty awkward to use, especially for the AI, which tries to use it but gets confused by the chargeup time or something & stops halfway through. Similarly the 0.2 second chargeup on the MRM seems kinda annoying.

As for ship balance, your civilian ships seem a little too good. From what I remember they seem to have around 10% more storage, but don't cost any extra maintenance or fuel. On top of that they have tons of OP so you can put whatever hullmods you want on them. Also this seems pretty obvious but.. having missile autoforge on ships is hilariously strong. I mean I enjoy seeing the endless, massive swarms of missiles on their way to blow up the enemy's frontline, but it's not even remotely balanced.

On another note.. I saw the pirate planet El Dorado has a pristine nanoforge. Doesn't really seem right for pirates to have that sorta thing. Best I would expect them to have is a corrupted nanoforge. That would also help tone down their economy, which seems a bit strong. They produce so much heavy armaments/machinery & supplies, you can make a fortune just buying from them & selling to the rest of the sector.

Anyway that was my 2 cents. Here's the link to the missile sprite fixes & whatnot:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vIEPGTNXCZqS90ONiDbMGoIlTkNn0Slu/view?usp=sharing

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 08, 2022, 03:31:42 AM »

Hello there!
When I was playing around with the missile cruiser I noticed that I couldn't tell the difference between the heavy & light drill missiles. So I zoomed all the way in & found out why.. the missiles were so small they were nearly invisible. The LR & srm sprites have a bunch of dead space in them and when paired with the seemingly incorrect size values in the .proj file, the missiles get scaled down to, as far as I can tell.. a one pixel wide sprite. I removed all the dead space & set the size to what seemed correct, tested in game and indeed the missiles were now visible. Then I noticed the static sprites for the missile launchers & set about making them dynamic. While doing that I.. kinda didn't like the sprites for the SRM & MRM, so I made new ones based on the LRM. So after a couple hours of tinkering I figured I might as well give you the result.
That is awesome thank you for including a link to your work, I'll look it over and consider it for the next patch. Thank you for taking the time!
While testing missiles I noticed the small planet buster torpedo has a 3 second chargeup time; making it pretty awkward to use, especially for the AI, which tries to use it but gets confused by the chargeup time or something & stops halfway through. Similarly the 0.2 second chargeup on the MRM seems kinda annoying.
Those were balancing edits I made a couple patches ago, the torp is a heavy hitter and being able to spam it was way OP. As to the AI confusion, that is a known problem across all torpedoes. A couple pages back I posted a link to a post where Alex states he is aware of it and it will be fixed in the next update.
As for ship balance, your civilian ships seem a little too good. From what I remember they seem to have around 10% more storage, but don't cost any extra maintenance or fuel. On top of that they have tons of OP so you can put whatever hullmods you want on them. Also this seems pretty obvious but.. having missile autoforge on ships is hilariously strong. I mean I enjoy seeing the endless, massive swarms of missiles on their way to blow up the enemy's frontline, but it's not even remotely balanced.
In the last post, Regularity pointed out the OP nature of the logistics and it is a work in progress. I'll keep your notes in mind while I tinker. I want JYD logistics ships to not just be ships you keep in the background and never deploy. I do not want them to replace military ships but I always disliked having a portion of my fleet just be for utility. It is a tightrope act but I will try to balance them better but also keep that frame of mind at the same time.
On another note.. I saw the pirate planet El Dorado has a pristine nanoforge. Doesn't really seem right for pirates to have that sorta thing. Best I would expect them to have is a corrupted nanoforge. That would also help tone down their economy, which seems a bit strong. They produce so much heavy armaments/machinery & supplies, you can make a fortune just buying from them & selling to the rest of the sector.
Yea I balanced El Dorado two patches back by lowering their alpha and beta cores to gamma cores. I wanted them to be a threat for early JYD commissioned captains to be able to cut their teeth against but when I take away their advantages their fleets just get decimated by AI JYD fleets. I guess I hadn't tested it enough if it is still generating so much, I'll give it a more thorough look.
Anyway that was my 2 cents. Here's the link to the missile sprite fixes & whatnot:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vIEPGTNXCZqS90ONiDbMGoIlTkNn0Slu/view?usp=sharing
Worth far more than 2 cents to me, your criticism is constructive and well reasoned. And you even included suggested edits, I mean really that's worth at least a nickel!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31