Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31

Author Topic: [0.97a] Junk Yard Dogs - V 3.1.0 - 04/13/24 - Yet another sprite update  (Read 209119 times)

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Junk Yard Dogs - V 1.55 - 01/31/22
« Reply #150 on: January 31, 2022, 02:36:22 PM »

v1.55 released today - tested with a 1.5 save with no issues. Note: I changed the mounts on the Fetching so if you have one in your fleet you will have to rearm it.

Fan service update! Added two new ships, five new weapons, updated 2 ship graphics, made some balance changes to some ships plus other misc changes. See changelog on OP or in RAR for details.

Oh those are neat and a good reason to have one of each in my fleet.  I know the AI can be a bit goofy with ramming but in player hands it can be done well with some major dangers of over extending.  I love the Energetic it has a very much belter expanse vibe. Right now I'm ignoring getting more than one objective as a pure mid game JYD fleet.  So this will give an option combined with the Operations Center of the Commanding to micro manage the Energetic a bit.

As a counter argument on my own comment about the commanding being a capital class right now it is lean.  High support and utility, good support damage between 4 Planet Breakers and 4 Flea bombers, lower OP cost and crew pay vs a capital.
Anyway I'm off to weapon making, ugh not my favorite thing. I may go energy pulse weapons like I do in my Hiver mod because beams aren't really my thing but I just started that phase of the project so who knows.

Thank you for taking the time to try and develop some mining energy based weapons.  Plus all the work that goes into your mods.  Right now over 2715 mining strength needing 1791 heavy machinery and 80% efficiency bonus on the refining mod.

Thank you for the thank you heh. I did it, I hunkered down and made three beam weapons. Well sort of a cheat cause it is three versions of the same weapon but still :)

balordezul

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Junk Yard Dogs - V 1.55 - 01/31/22
« Reply #151 on: January 31, 2022, 04:07:44 PM »

Just loaded it up 1.55 and went to work on my Fetch but I'm seeing 3 small, 3 medium and 2 large.  I think the far right one might have meant to be a small.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Junk Yard Dogs - V 1.55a - 01/31/22
« Reply #152 on: January 31, 2022, 06:31:17 PM »

Just loaded it up 1.55 and went to work on my Fetch but I'm seeing 3 small, 3 medium and 2 large.  I think the far right one might have meant to be a small.
v1.55a is up and will fix that oopsie

I changed the graphic to a small and even loaded a small missile on the standard variant but yep I still had it set to a medium in the code which it formerly was. Ty for the quick catch

Anexgohan

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2022, 01:37:03 AM »

Dude, I love your mod honestly, I don't care if its balanced or not or the graphics are version 0.32, the most fun I had just going pew pew, thanks for the mod.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2022, 04:59:37 AM »

Heh thanks, love the honest review. I'm working on some refinements atm some graphical updates, some balance issues and testing maybe even some new bounties, if I can get them to work :)

Stay tuned!

balordezul

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 04, 2022, 10:13:26 AM »

I have been playing a few hours each day after the update 1.55 and 1.55a to explore the mod and the changes so I can give some more feedback.  Don't rush to change anything right away. Take the time to check it out for yourself when you have time.  Also, I'm very happy you are willing to keep putting time into your projects. 

This is all just my opinion and I consider myself an average game.  Take what you will from this but know I have gotten enjoyment out of this mod.  I'm also in the midgame again playing only with JYD ships and weapons with a focus on mining, exploration and defending my fleet.

I'm using the Detailed Combat Results mod to help me keep an eye on combat performance to see what my ships and weapons are doing.

The Planet Buster rate of fire change is solid and still allows for you to use the torpedo well.  I have four on my Commanding flag ship and with Missile specialization and expanded missile racks. I'm generally having them help for 70% of the larger battle durations.  They currently list as my top damage dealer from that ship followed by the 4 flea bombers and then my large missile supports being with hurricanes or the Drill MIRV.  The change did stop me from soloing large encounters with a Loyal running 8 Planet Busters but that Loyal is still a solid artillery support ship when needed.  I just wish the AI would use them more often but that is out of our hands.

Planet Buster suggestion:  I do feel there is room for a larger weapon variant ideally a medium mount but not a large.  I would like a weapons system that both the player and the AI could utilize.  Knowing how the AI will only be free with the weapons over a set value of shots I suggest the following.  Base it off the Alecto Atropos Launcher that does  two shots per and total of 12 ammo letting it fire 6 times.  We know this weapon system will work for the AI but the Planet Buster has better range and more damage.  Make this weapon system a harder choice and not an auto include over a Drill LRM, I suggest making it 15 OP.

So the trade is that you can have a powerful tool in the players hands. Alternatively go for more reliable sustained cheaper damage with a Drill LRM.  Lastly for equal OP costs the Mining Recoilless Blaster can offer great damage without ammo being a factor.  

Energetic - Solid little ship and the AI uses them well.  They do seem to have some heavy drift when I fly them.  I'm not sure what is up with that but is there a mass value for these ships? The mounts work fine and it is a good mix between speed and firepower. As a good balancing factor they can easily over extend and die.  I'm running two and think I'm going to add a third.  They are fantastic pursuit craft and they really don't do crazy damage with JYD weapons and that is fine.

The Rambunctious works well with balanced damage.  I would suggest if you modders ever share code to get with the person that does the Iron Shell or the Kadur Remnant as they have great ramming ability in those mods. I feel the iron shell version is slightly better as it has a drawback of no turning when in use. Here are the two ships as reference.  

Falchion class -Mass-Aug Ram Jets
Iron Shell - Flagellator - Rampage Drive

I'm finding there are some turn rate issues with some of the ships being too fast for their class / size.  I can't see the rotate or turn rate info on the basic ship detail card but I'm going off the ship that seems to be working right vs the others that are too fast.

The Stalwart is done correctly with a rotation around 23 seconds and it feels good.  After playing with this ship in my fleet I worked out why it does so well.  It has lower raw damage output in combat than the Trusty and Intense but it's set of four stock drones allows for a support / screen for this ship to shine in combat.   This is the next step up from the Spirited and that I'm still using two in battle in the mid game.  

Note not all ships are included here. I only tested the ships I currently own or have in storage.

Loyal 17 sec ish for full rotation - a little fast but not overly so but a slight slow down would balance it better
Fluffy 28 sec ish for full rotation - feels right
Fetching 14 sec ish for full rotation - too fast
Intense 14 sec ish for full rotation - too fast
Sharp 33 sec ish for full rotation - feels right
Courageous 15 sec ish for full rotation - too fast
Commanding 12 sec ish for full rotation - too fast and should be Fluffy or Stalwart turn rate
Rambunctious 18 sec ish for full rotation - feels good
Spirited 8 sec ish for full rotation- too fast near 14 sec should be about right
Energetic 8 sec ish for full rotation - great for a tiny ship
Knowledgeable 46 sec ish for full rotation - feels right
Industrious 28 sec ish for full rotation - feel fight
Peppy 15 sec ish for full rotation - too fast
Smart 32 sec ish for full rotation - feels right 
Muscular 36 sec ish for full rotation - feels right
Happy 12 sec ish for full rotation - feels right
Cordelia 18 sec ish for full rotation - feels right
Confident 9 sec sec ish for full rotation - too fast 
Empathetic 30 sec ish for full rotation - feels right
Obedient 13 sec ish for full rotation - feels right
Cute 7 sec ish for full rotation - too fast
Intelligent Q 9 sec ish for full rotation - too fast
Troublesome 14 sec ish for full rotation - too fast
Adorable 8sec ish for full rotation - feels fine
Trusty 22 sec ish for full rotation - feels right
Lean 15 sec ish for full rotation - feels good
Vicious 30 sec ish for full rotation - feels fine
Intelligent 11 sec ish for full rotation - feels fine
Eager 6 sec ish for full rotation - too fast
Short 5 sec ish for full rotation - too fast
Relaxed 15 sec ish for full rotation - feels good

I'm going to do some followup posts with feedback on the rest of the faction.  Ships, mods, weapons, drones and general balance.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Junk Yard Dogs - V 1.6 - 02/04/22
« Reply #156 on: February 04, 2022, 10:29:54 AM »

v1.6 released today - Major graphic overhaul on several ships and several balance passes - Tested with a 1.55a save with no issues but if you have one of the changed ships you will have to strip them and re-arm - See changelog on OP or in RAR for details.

@balordezul

Lol I swear it is inevitable that whenever I am about to release an update I get a posting with suggestions to keep me on that hamster wheel! :)
Seriously though, I really appreciate all the work you did on that and look forward to part 2. FYI I made some promises on the Hiver forum that I would have an update out by Sunday to address some issues so any changes to JYD will be on hold till after that.

balordezul

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 04, 2022, 12:28:00 PM »

All good love the work!  Also don't kill yourself and my next post is going to be long and focusing on balance so take it in the love it is meant.  Just looked at the Commanding and I like the model.  Loadout is very different so I'm going to jump on in and try somethings out.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 12:45:16 PM by balordezul »

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 04, 2022, 01:54:48 PM »

Ah yes, I wasn't sure how you would feel, I know that is your baby. Of all the reworks this update, the Commanding received the most changes. I felt that by taking out the 2 large mounts it allowed me to put in more mediums which in turn allowed more variety in mount types. It's a work in progress like any other aspect of the mod but I am curious how you feel about it once you take it for a spin.

Argonautis

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 05, 2022, 12:25:56 AM »

Ah yes, I wasn't sure how you would feel, I know that is your baby. Of all the reworks this update, the Commanding received the most changes. I felt that by taking out the 2 large mounts it allowed me to put in more mediums which in turn allowed more variety in mount types. It's a work in progress like any other aspect of the mod but I am curious how you feel about it once you take it for a spin.

Nooooooo, not my 2 missile slots!!

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 05, 2022, 02:03:44 AM »

But, but, think of all the medium missiles slots you have now! Seriously though with it being a total re-work it is still a work in progress. I'm giving it time to breathe but I can always re-work it if there is a glaring issue. Scrapyard has enough spare parts lying around after all.

LinWasTaken

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 05, 2022, 05:19:03 AM »

Reduced the range of PD pep to 30% - More balanced for it's OP cost
I'm not gonna lie i thought the 50% was a stroke of genius.
because it made the pd reach too far witch was a upside AND a downside. because if pd constantly activated from further then your primary weapons then you would lose the 0flux speed bonus making it much harder to chase smaller/faster ships. making you choose weather you wanted a more defensive playstile or a more aggressive playstyle.

TLDR: pl0x bring back the 50%

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 05, 2022, 05:31:56 AM »

Tbh I thought 50 was a sweet spot as well but I got so many negative comments about it and when I thought about it for the op cost it was a bit on the overpowered side. I teetered on reducing the range or increasing the OP and figured if I went that route it would mess up so many player's load outs.

I'm reaching hull mod bloat levels but maybe I can make a separate hull mod. I could reduce the original to 25% and a second one that does 50% with different op costs. Or maybe keep it to one at 50% but add some dmod drawbacks for the current op cost. Idk just tossing some ideas for comments or opinions.

I like to think my mods are a collaborative effort and not just my overriding decisions.

Screech9791

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 05, 2022, 08:09:37 AM »

I think the 50% range boost for PD weapons made the pre-nerf asteroid breaker even more overpowered. I think a 30% range increase for PD weapons would make the PD pep hullmod more balanced.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 05, 2022, 10:33:38 AM »

TY for the input. I think I'll be giving all the JYD hull mods a balance pass as part of 1.65.  I have received comments on the faraday cage and the fetch deck mods as well and I haven't really revisited any of them since I introduced them. I am leaning on adding the drawback on a mod rather than increasing the OP cost. I always envisioned the JYD hull mods as a way to spent left over OP when loading out a ship. I don't know about you but in the past I frequently found myself with 1-3 left over OP because I am not theory crafting but rather only installing weapons I salvage.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31