Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30

Author Topic: [0.97a] Junk Yard Dogs - V 2.9.3 - 03/10/24  (Read 201410 times)

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile

OK I adjusted my bounties and they should now be compatible with Bounties Expanded. The link on the OP has the updated version with the hotfix. One thing I noted was that when I loaded my save with that mod enabled, the 3 modded faction bounties (including one of mine) I had on my Intel screen were no longer there. Now that may be because Bounties Expanded reloads all bounties when it initializes for the first time but either way my mod runs with it but until I play more with a new save I cannot say whether or not my bounties will show with Bounties Expanded enabled.

As a side note, I initially got a crash with unique bounty fluffships_centrist_odyslaught from Fluff's Ship Pack calling on portrait_30.png which is odd since that is a starsector-core portrait. I disabled that mod and it loaded with no issue on my end. I'll shoot a message on that page and let MrFluffster know as well.

Deageon

• Commander
    • View Profile

The fluff's ship one is because of a missing undescore I believe. And yes, BE reloads your HVBs, and I had at least one of your HVBs pop up perfectly normal being the two-fighter bay carrier.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Sorry for the delay in reply. I am burning the midnight oil trying to make mining interesting and profitable for the next update. More on that as I near completion. Anyway, yes I had run the current version of the mod with the bounties mod and it does load HVB's so I adjusted the main page that it is compatible.

Thank you for the verification on your end!

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Version 0.4 released. (Save game compatible) Adds a new colony structure a new commodity and a new toggle ability. See changelog for details. Quite the labor of love in this one figuring it all out but I am learning more and more as I go and keeping the ole brain humming.

Please ask any questions or concerns about this release, I did my best to balance it but am still not quite satisfied.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile

... a new commodity and a new toggle ability. See changelog for details.
This is really cool! Does the effect round up? Will is stop at <100 so it doesn't run unnecessarily?
Can you add a second effect that turns 100 Transplutonic Ore into 6 Transplutonics?
Can you create a 'Foundry' ship that removes the Heavy Machinery requirement for this ability?

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Well my initial plan was to make a foundry ship with a hull mod that does that. However the journey to get to this point took me about 20 some hours of hit and miss to get from 0.3 to 0.4. I still have plans for the mod which is why it is posted in this forum rather than the main mod forum.

As to your questions:
 - The stack size of Platinum is set to 1000, you can toggle off the ability at any time or just run out of machinery or ore.
 - As to having a second effect, I tried oh yea I did try but no matter what sequence of code I attempted, I could only get one effect to work w/out the game kicking it back in my face. I guess I could make a second toggle for just transplutonic ore but that would be cumbersome.
 - Now your third question I have already touched on, I am still working on a an idea for a utility ship that does something like your suggestion but it is currently on the burner.
 - And lastly, the elimination of heavy machinery, I felt, would be just too much like printing free money. I set it up that if you do the math with the current setup, you wind up with more credit value selling the converted Platinum than if you sold the machinery and ore instead. Not by much but it is a value added process as well as a way to reduce inventory space. The ability to reduce the inventory space needed to effectively use mining as a way to riches was my priority and I feel this update brings the mod a step closer but it is by no means my ending.

I am glad you like it and am so thankful for all the players who have given their opinions such as yourself. When I started this mod I was wondering if I was the only person who wanted to be a rockhopper and was just making it for myself. :)

Deageon

• Commander
    • View Profile

I'd recommend looking at the prv/rust belt mod if you need more inspiration or help with the coding for the ore-smelting stuff, one of the ships in that faction mod smelts ores.
There was also another mod that had a similar hullmod based set-up, but I can't remember it at this second.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I'd recommend looking at the prv/rust belt mod if you need more inspiration or help with the coding for the ore-smelting stuff, one of the ships in that faction mod smelts ores.
There was also another mod that had a similar hullmod based set-up, but I can't remember it at this second.

I do have PRV installed and running alongside JYD for compatibility testing but I have not played it as I am not a big fan of High Tech ships. One of the reasons I started this whole thing was to make ballistic and missile mining a thing and go full low tech. Anyway, I had not looked too closely under the hood of that mod when I was doing my initial research because it is heavily encoded beyond what Notepad ++ can read.

However, I just installed a Java decompiler so I could take a peek at the hullmod you mention and it is pretty nice. Shame on me for being a silly low tech fan boy and going ahead and reinventing the wheel lol. Overall I like my approach as an inventory reducer and it's flexibility of being used from the start but I have to tip my hat to their skill in coding that mod. Sadly, the code looks beyond what I can follow fully but it does give me some ideas for importing a script within a hull mod rather than my failed attempts of having the script in the hull mod code itself.

As always thank you for pointing out a potential road to pursue. 

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile

- Now your third question I have already touched on, I am still working on a an idea for a utility ship that does something like your suggestion but it is currently on the burner.
 - And lastly, the elimination of heavy machinery, I felt, would be just too much like printing free money. I set it up that if you do the math with the current setup, you wind up with more credit value selling the converted Platinum than if you sold the machinery and ore instead. Not by much but it is a value added process as well as a way to reduce inventory space. The ability to reduce the inventory space needed to effectively use mining as a way to riches was my priority and I feel this update brings the mod a step closer but it is by no means my ending.
All good points but the spirit of my suggestion stands.
Let me rephrase this question: if you only have less than 100 Ore, will it consume what's left +1HM and what would result? If it could take a mere 1 Ore +1HM to create 6 Pt, then players could exploit this. Consider this prevention from future problems.
Your 0.4 method is great for simplicity and compression of cargo space. However, it lacks story reasons why combat or cargo ships even could refine metal.(yeah, I care about this junk) If a Foundry isn't required, I would plug your ability into the Makeshift Equipment skill to unlock it. That skill, by name, could rationalize the situation. As a synergy, the -50% supply per month makes sense for mining fleets, staying away from market for longer.
As for a Foundry ship "printing money", I disagree. SS is a combat game, essentially. A Foundry ship would be an expense that probably shouldn't bring combat value. (Not more than a Combat Freighter would) The ship would still take Fuel/LY, Supplies/mo, and Crew salary/mo. Hence, if you are not mining for a lot of your game, probably park the Foundry anyway.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I too believe in lore, which is why I took the time to write a backstory for the faction and a description for each planet, ship, weapon and wing. Also if you are a bit of a sleuth, you will find that Dogstar has several easter eggs and reference lore that are Junk Yard Dog related (at least if you are an old fogey like me)

As to your toggle question, I thought of the exploit potential once it goes below 100 ore OR 1 Heavy Machinery I have it set to stop and give you a message stating what is below levels. As I stated earlier I do have it set up to increase by 10% for every salvage gantry in the player's fleet as a way to reward people who play as salvagers more than fighters. Of course that could be exploited by reforming your fleet with all salvage enabled ships but that seems like more work than it is worth.

As always, I will take your suggestions under consideration. I am unsure if I have the skill but I do agree that a foundry ship should be needed to use the toggle. I will make it my next project once I take a little break as my eyes are crossed from looking over code for the last few weeks :)

Scamper

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I get a CTD for a null pointer exception with the Sharp Battlecruiser class ship.

It happens when hovering over the "?" icon in fleet menu or when hovering over the OP bar in the refit menu.

It also crashes when you bring up the ship in the codex (thanks Histidine)

Here's the log : https://pastebin.com/7uGrACgV

Spoiler
207389 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.impl.FleetMemberOrdnancePanel.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.impl.T.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.impl.StandardTooltipV2$2.beforeShown(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.o00O.showTooltip(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.Objectsuper.oxd2000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.Objectsuper.processInput(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.o00O.processInput(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.v.dispatchEventsToChildren(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.v.processInputImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.coreui.OOoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.processInputImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.e$Oo.processInputImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.e.processInputImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.coreui.dosuper.processInputImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.coreui.V.processInputImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.class.processInputImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.Oo0O.processInputImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.K.processInputImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.Oo0O.processInputImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.Stringsuper.processInputImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignState.processInput(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
[close]

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Thank you for the report, always great to see a new pilot helping me test this mod. I was able to track it down to an old issue from a few versions back that somehow eluded me. I've fixed it and uploaded a new version 0.4a with the fix. Should be save game compatible.

I would suggest holding onto the 0.4 version as a backup just in case04.a crashes on you (which it shouldn't). If it does though, then replace 0.4a with the 0.4 backup, run the game, load your save from 0.4 and sell or delete the sharp and save your game. Then replace that nasty ole buggy 0.4 with the fresh clean new 0.4a and load your save from 0.4 w/out the sharp in your fleet and there should be no issues.

Scamper

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Something may be wrong with the Mining recoilless blaster

https://imgur.com/VbAa1uP

You should also modify the size of the Intelligent sprite.
It's classified as a frigate, yet it's bigger than destroyers of the JYD in combat.

There's an issue with the sprites for the Armored MRM and the Drill SRM :

https://imgur.com/a/O8zRexm

Also, the Armored MRM sprite shows 4 missiles but it fires in bursts of 3:

https://imgur.com/a/NKPaS0D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 12:53:56 PM by Scamper »

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile

@Scamper: That is some first class bug hunting and reporting thank you so much!

- You were correct on all accounts, the Intelligent was always meant to be a destroyer as seen in the image on the main page so I fixed it's classification and increased it's op from 35 to 50.
- I accidently had the MRB set to a bust of 2 when it was supposed to be 1 and I increased it's re-fire delay so it is in line with it's OP requirement to fit it, roughly 630 dps down from that whopping 1760 lol.
- As to the MRM and SRM, I did have their burst incorrectly set. They will now fire in groups of 4 as intended and have enough ammo for 3 volleys. As to their sprites I am unsure your meaning, they share a similar base but different projectiles and sizes. If you could clarify your concern other than their incorrect volley count please let me know.

@IonDragonX: I have looked over the rust belt hull mod and they go about refining in an entirely different way. I did my best to try and adapt it to my vision but try as I might their code is just so radically different I was unable to. I also went over about 15 mods worth of hull mods to see if I could find an example of someone either using a toggle button like I do as a hull mod or even just one like rust belt but there was only 1 other mod that addressed it but in yet another radically different way and since it was a mod from 0.91 I did not attempt to adapt it being out of date. I have not yet given up on the idea and do have a query on the "misc modding questions" thread and maybe someone more skilled will help.

I do have a cruiser sized utility ship made. It has 3 borer and 3 mining drones, a salvage and a survey mod and I am hoping to add the refining mod if I ever figure that out. However, if I cannot do either of you have any suggestions on what you would like a utility mining ship to do other than the above?

Lastly, I will give that forum thread a day or so to see if anyone can lead me in the correct direction but I have the above fixes as well as some other changes and additions ready to go for 0.45 and will release it in the next couple days either way.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile

@IonDragonX:
I do have a cruiser sized utility ship made. It has 3 borer and 3 mining drones, a salvage and a survey mod and I am hoping to add the refining mod if I ever figure that out. However, if I cannot do either of you have any suggestions on what you would like a utility mining ship to do other than the above?
Thank you trying so hard on my suggestion. You can just decline it, its your mod in the first place and I didn't know that it would be so hard to do.
As for the utility cruiser it sounds very true to the JYD but 6 more wings of borer/drones sounds a bit boring with all the combat ships bringing those too. You might consider making a custom JYD Heavy Pod drone that will increase the quality (asteroid breakers) rather than quantity (make a wing size 3 instead of 4). I'd be neat to see those with Drill missiles or Shard missiles just to be different.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30