Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 31

Author Topic: [0.97a] Junk Yard Dogs - V 3.1.0 - 04/13/24 - Yet another sprite update  (Read 207698 times)

Usgiyi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Junk Yard Dogs - V 1.9 - 06/07/22
« Reply #240 on: June 08, 2022, 12:27:29 PM »

Those were balancing edits I made a couple patches ago, the torp is a heavy hitter and being able to spam it was way OP. As to the AI confusion, that is a known problem across all torpedoes. A couple pages back I posted a link to a post where Alex states he is aware of it and it will be fixed in the next update.
I agree being able to spam it would be too strong, but doesn't the 12 second cooldown accomplish that? Having to hold the trigger for 3 seconds before the torpedo fires seems counter to the point of torpedoes. You can just move the 3 second chargeup to the cooldown time if you want the total to be 15 seconds per volley.
In the last post, Regularity pointed out the OP nature of the logistics and it is a work in progress. I'll keep your notes in mind while I tinker. I want JYD logistics ships to not just be ships you keep in the background and never deploy. I do not want them to replace military ships but I always disliked having a portion of my fleet just be for utility. It is a tightrope act but I will try to balance them better but also keep that frame of mind at the same time.
I quite like that aspect of the logistic ships being usable in combat, helps a lot early game being able to deploy a few extra ships in combat. I was just thinking their maintenance costs should be increased to match their improved hauling capability. Possibly with an extra 10-20% due to their multipurpose nature. Not entirely sure about fuel costs, since they're generally whole numbers. As an example you could increase the Empathetic's fuel cost to 4.5, making it within 2% of the Colossus for fuel efficiency by cargo capacity. Or you could go up to 5 making it less efficient than the Colossus, but still useful due to its much more flexible loadout and combat capability. The Intelligent's fuel cost should probably be increased to 2, at 1.5 it's more efficient than the Colossus. All in all up to you, I'd probably just match fuel efficiency with the equivalent vanilla logistic ships as much as possible.
Worth far more than 2 cents to me, your criticism is constructive and well reasoned. And you even included suggested edits, I mean really that's worth at least a nickel!
I really like the mod, always felt the game was missing industrial/mining themed ships; so I just wanted to do a little to help improve it. Oh also, I like the changes to the ship sprites; especially the Empathetic, it looks much better.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 08, 2022, 12:37:07 PM »

Solid feedback yet again. I just got some free time to tinker with the code so it's just in time thank you again for the details.

Thank you for the kind work on the Empathetic, that's a personal kitbash whereas the previous one was a spiral arms sprite that I enlarged to make it cruiser sized. I had no idea what I was doing back then and it was long overdue heh, I am glad you like the changes!

travhill20

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 08, 2022, 06:53:52 PM »

I love your ships. As previously mentioned, they help fill in a mining and logistical gap that surprisingly few have taken advantage of. Some of the ships are incredibly powerful but feel more worth their value than a lot of other similar class ships. The art is lovely and the new black background with your ships really makes them all shine distinctly. My favorite collection right now and I've been playing it off and on since the game was just 1 system. Well done.

P.S. How can I tip you for your service to the community?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 06:56:03 PM by travhill20 »

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 09, 2022, 01:34:40 AM »

I love your ships. As previously mentioned, they help fill in a mining and logistical gap that surprisingly few have taken advantage of.
What a nice comment to wake up to, thank you so much! Have you checked out Roider Union? SafariJohn has a lot of mining related content as well and it is well made.
Some of the ships are incredibly powerful but feel more worth their value than a lot of other similar class ships. The art is lovely and the new black background with your ships really makes them all shine distinctly. My favorite collection right now and I've been playing it off and on since the game was just 1 system. Well done.
I went with the star scape background I use for Dogstar on the OP image as I thought it would better give an impression of what they would look like in game over a blank background. I am happy to hear you appreciate it. I am in the process of balancing the civilian and logistic focused ships in the JYD lineup so maybe just powerful instead of incredibly powerful in the next update :)
That is quite flattering and I appreciate the sentiment. I do see other mods have links to Patreon or their PayPal but I haven't seriously considered it since I do this for relaxation and as a hobby. Idk, maybe I'll look at what specifically other mod makers do now that you have me thinking about it.

Thank you again for your kind words, you've made my day. I should have the next update out by Sunday(ish), work is just taking up so much of my time this week. Enjoy!

bigwheel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 10, 2022, 08:34:12 AM »

So I started a playthrough with your mod today and it's a cool faction, no doubt. I thought it would be fun to roleplay as a miner, and in fact after hundreds of hours of Nexerelin I realised there is a mining function... And most things in the game have no mining power.

Do you have a list of the mining power of your weapons? I have found the following information in your modSettings.json but I am having trouble working out which variable is which weapon lol!

Code
"nexerelin":{
"mining_ship_strengths":{
"JYD_short":4,
"JYD_spirited":18,
"JYD_lively":3,
"JYD_lean":3,
"JYD_obedient": 6,
"JYD_happy": 3,
"JYD_loyal":10,
"JYD_exuberant":3,
"JYD_empathetic":1,
"JYD_irksome":6,
"JYD_intelligent":6,
"JYD_smart":20,
"JYD_tick": 1,
"JYD_mite": 1,
"JYD_flea": 1,
"JYD_relaxed": 3,
"JYD_splendid": 5,
"JYD_botfly": 2,
"JYD_courageous": 5,
"JYD_knowledgeable": 20,
"JYD_intense": 8,
"JYD_gnat": 0.5,
"JYD_heavydrone":5,
"JYD_industrious": 35,
"JYD_commanding": 20,
"JYD_cute": 8,
"JYD_fluffy": 9,
"JYD_muscular": 8,
"JYD_troublesome": 5,
"JYD_adorable": 3,
"JYD_sharp": 12,
"JYD_mosquito": 0.5,
"JYD_termite":0.1,
"JYD_fetching": 10,
"JYD_peppy": 50,
"JYD_cordelia": 10,
"JYD_eager": 5,
"JYD_confident": 20,
"JYD_intelligentmkq": 6,
"JYD_stalwart": 30,
"JYD_rambunctious": 10,
"JYD_energetic": 5,
"JYD_adaw": 0.5,
"JYD_protective": 5,
"JYD_endurance": 3,
"JYD_reliable": 8,
"JYD_rugged": 5,

},

The ships I can understand, they have the name, but the weapons are a bit hard:

Code
"mining_weapon_strengths":{
"JYD_ab": 3,
"JYD_abf": 3,
"JYD_af": 3,
"JYD_lrk": 12,
"JYD_lrm": 9,
"JYD_mrb": 9,
"JYD_mrm": 9,
"JYD_srm": 4,
"JYD_pbtorp": 10,
"JYD_hab": 9,
"JYD_hdml":16,
"JYD_hbl": 25,
"JYD_mbl": 17,
"JYD_lbl": 8,
"JYD_abc": 3,
"JYD_mabc": 6,
"JYD_lab": 14,
"JYD_lpbtorp": 20,
"JYD_pe": 9,
"JYD_spe": 3,
"JYD_ionburst": 13,

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 10, 2022, 09:17:58 AM »

Hello there, glad to hear you are enjoying the mod. Junk Yard Dogs is my first released mod but not my first attempt at modding. My initial desire was to make a mod that read all the mining strengths in all the mods and have that strength show on the tooltip when you hover over a ship or a weapon. I spent several hours and asked several other mod makers if there was a way and was never able to pull it off. Sooooo, I figured the best way to ensure I knew the strengths of what I was using was to make my own mining focused faction. Yep, there you have it JYD's origin story. :)

To figure out the correlation of the tooltip names and the abbreviation code I use in the mining strengths, look at weapons_data.csv. The first column is the actual name used on the in game tooltip. The second column is the id of the weapon which is what I use in the mining strengths. I added that info below under spoiler tags:
Spoiler
#Ballistic   
Asteroid Breaker   JYD_ab
Long Range Kinetic Drill   JYD_lrk
Mining Recoilless Blaster   JYD_mrb
Drone gun   JYD_abf
Heavy Asteroid Blaster   JYD_hab
Asteroid Buster Cannon   JYD_abc
Medium Asteroid Buster Cannon   JYD_mabc
Long Range Asteroid Blaster   JYD_lab

#Energy   
Heavy Blaze Laser   JYD_hbl
Medium Blaze Laser   JYD_mbl
Light Blaze Laser   JYD_lbl
Phase Emitter   JYD_pe
Particle Emmiter   JYD_spe
Ion Burst Emitter   JYD_ionburst
Blaze Energy Blaster   JYD_beb
Blaze Energy Array   JYD_bea

#Missiles   
Drill LRM   JYD_lrm
Drill SRM   JYD_srm
Shard Anti-Fighter Swarmer   JYD_af
Armored MRM   JYD_mrm
Planet Buster Torpedo   JYD_pbtorp
Heavy Drill MIRV Launcher   JYD_hdml
Large Mount Planet Buster Torpedo   JYD_lpbtorp
[close]
Also, you can see a list of mining strengths of all ships and weapons as well as the mining strength of your current fleet in game when you go to a planet or asteroid and start the mining process you will see the option to show strengths. Idk, I should at some point take another crack at my initial mod idea now that I am more experienced.

I hope this answer helps, enjoy!

bigwheel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 11, 2022, 03:22:58 AM »

Thank you for the information, that's very helpful!

I am really enjoying the faction because they are very thematic, with the ships with logistics mods, built-in drones, etc. You really know you're using them. At first I thought they were overpowered because of the large number of missile slots (the two cruisers Cordelia and Protective are amazing) but after about 10 hours and facing stronger enemies, I think that the low speed and flux efficiency shields are a good counterbalance.

I think mining isn't really viable unless you use a mod which compresses the ore, like your Ore Refinery. Then, JYD really shines, because the weapons/ships are already good, but the fact that they can mine makes them great. You can explore, fight and mine, all with the same fleet quite well.

As for the ingame tool, I can see the strength of my fitted ships and fleet as a whole, but the option to see mining strength per weapon/ship throws an error. Google tells me someone had a similar problem and their problem might be the mod Modern Carrier which I am also using. Strange, but there you go.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 11, 2022, 05:28:59 AM »

I am really enjoying the faction because they are very thematic, with the ships with logistics mods, built-in drones, etc. You really know you're using them. At first I thought they were overpowered because of the large number of missile slots (the two cruisers Cordelia and Protective are amazing) but after about 10 hours and facing stronger enemies, I think that the low speed and flux efficiency shields are a good counterbalance.
Thank you! I truly appreciate you taking the time to consider all aspects rather than taking a knee-jerk reaction. I get flack on discord from certain players that only look at one aspect of the mod and label it overpowered and recommend other players not to use it.
I think mining isn't really viable unless you use a mod which compresses the ore, like your Ore Refinery. Then, JYD really shines, because the weapons/ships are already good, but the fact that they can mine makes them great. You can explore, fight and mine, all with the same fleet quite well.
I enjoy mining for the random finds as well as the mining itself, I think Histidine deserves more credit than they do for the addition of viable mining with some added surprises to the game. Ore Refinery used to be a feature of JYD but I figured I would separate it for miners who prefer a faction like Roider Union or HMI. I am glad you found it and like it, I haven't received any feedback on it in some time and it's nice to hear a kind word. Maybe I'll give it tinker once I am done with the JYD patch I am currently working on.

bigwheel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 11, 2022, 09:15:34 AM »

Well I'm not a playtester and I have so many mods running I would hesitate to speak to the balance too much! When I play a faction I like to force myself to use only their ships where possible, and I think if you do that, most factions (vanilla and modded) have their limitations as well as their strengths.

With Ore Refinery and playing JKD, I think mining is very powerful and I found it easy to make money and start snowballing, because you don't need to make many sacrifices. All your ships and weapons have mining power. In contrast, I think mining would be quite weak if you use non-JKD ships and modules like the Mining Blaster, and probably most people don't bother. Maybe one day I'll try it, having a fleet with dedicated mining ships and then combat ships to protect them.

It would be nice if there were an easier way to see mining power of every ship and module, but I guess mining is a pretty small part of Nexerelin so it might not be a priority.

travhill20

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 11, 2022, 11:55:22 PM »

I love your ships. As previously mentioned, they help fill in a mining and logistical gap that surprisingly few have taken advantage of.
What a nice comment to wake up to, thank you so much! Have you checked out Roider Union? SafariJohn has a lot of mining related content as well and it is well made.
Some of the ships are incredibly powerful but feel more worth their value than a lot of other similar class ships. The art is lovely and the new black background with your ships really makes them all shine distinctly. My favorite collection right now and I've been playing it off and on since the game was just 1 system. Well done.
I went with the star scape background I use for Dogstar on the OP image as I thought it would better give an impression of what they would look like in game over a blank background. I am happy to hear you appreciate it. I am in the process of balancing the civilian and logistic focused ships in the JYD lineup so maybe just powerful instead of incredibly powerful in the next update :)
That is quite flattering and I appreciate the sentiment. I do see other mods have links to Patreon or their PayPal but I haven't seriously considered it since I do this for relaxation and as a hobby. Idk, maybe I'll look at what specifically other mod makers do now that you have me thinking about it.

Thank you again for your kind words, you've made my day. I should have the next update out by Sunday(ish), work is just taking up so much of my time this week. Enjoy!

Love to hear it! I just noticed you make Carter's freetraders also.... my 2nd favorite faction, and yes, I play with roiders as well but i'm a bit of a stickler for high shield efficiency and some of those ships are terrifyingly inefficient. Also.. I found your old tip jar =D           https://Ko-fi.com/home/coffeeshop?txid=0e99b759-c77f-4966-89ba-fead728a314a&mode=public&img=ogiboughtsomeone

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 12, 2022, 05:44:10 AM »

Well I'm not a playtester and I have so many mods running I would hesitate to speak to the balance too much! When I play a faction I like to force myself to use only their ships where possible, and I think if you do that, most factions (vanilla and modded) have their limitations as well as their strengths.
I play the same. I may start off using whatever ship I can scavenge but eventually I want to play with a full fleet of faction ships. It is why I designed both JYD and CFT as partial scavengers but with every conceivable slot in their lineup so it would fit my playstyle. Glad to hear someone else does similar. :)
With Ore Refinery and playing JKD, I think mining is very powerful and I found it easy to make money and start snowballing, because you don't need to make many sacrifices. All your ships and weapons have mining power. In contrast, I think mining would be quite weak if you use non-JKD ships and modules like the Mining Blaster, and probably most people don't bother. Maybe one day I'll try it, having a fleet with dedicated mining ships and then combat ships to protect them.
I base my fleets around exploration then scavenging then mining and lastly combat. I usually pick a start that has trade/utility ships and mine the nearby asteroids for some cash. Once I have a tanker, I look at the military tab and see if there is conflict with two factions I am neutral to friendly with and go there and scavenge ships and supplies. Then it's off to explore the sector based around survey missions as a guide for direction and cash to keep the tanks full.
It would be nice if there were an easier way to see mining power of every ship and module, but I guess mining is a pretty small part of Nexerelin so it might not be a priority.
Well based on the feedback I get on JYD and Ore Refinery I think it is more popular than you may think. Players have been pretty forgiving for my ineptitude in ship balance and have helped immensely in getting this mod finalized. I believe that is because they see the intent I am trying to pull off and are willing to put in some time to help me get it there. Which is pretty awesome btw! 
Love to hear it! I just noticed you make Carter's freetraders also.... my 2nd favorite faction
Nice, yea CFT was sort of a side project that I finally had time to complete (well to get it to run). I had a bunch of left over ships and kitbash parts and an though I am not much of a smuggler I felt there was a hole in the game for a faction that specializes in it but are not pirates. Plus I had an ancestor who was a well known smuggler so that that all came together into CFT.
I play with roiders as well but i'm a bit of a stickler for high shield efficiency and some of those ships are terrifyingly inefficient.
Well SafariJohn has his goals and I have mine. I think that mod is pretty well made and I played as a Roider for some time after Tiadong Heavy Industries was no longer viable. It was the mod that got me into mining and all respect for that. CFT is based around hit and fade tactics so their shields efficiency should fit it well with your playstyle. In the last patch I did add some mining ships so their AI could have a mining fleet so you could play as full CFT and get it all.
Also.. I found your old tip jar =D           https://Ko-fi.com/home/coffeeshop?txid=0e99b759-c77f-4966-89ba-fead728a314a&mode=public&img=ogiboughtsomeone
I looked around at what other mod authors were doing and I saw that Vayra used ko-fi and she is my favorite mod author so I looked into it. I added it to my mod pages yesterday but I in no way expect anyone to use it as I never want to charge for what I do. But you asked and there it is, thank you for the coffee!

Lastly, the next patch is almost done and will be released this afternoon. I had hoped to get it out early but once I got into it I wound up making more changes and additions than I had set out to based on player feedback so sorry for the delay. It does address all the comments and conversations between players and myself and I hope you all enjoy the changes. Stay tuned!

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Junk Yard Dogs - V 1.95 - 06/12/22
« Reply #251 on: June 12, 2022, 02:28:49 PM »

v1.95 released today, a bit later than I had anticipated but at least I got the release day correct. Pretty hearty patch with code changes, graphic updates a new ship two new weapons and a new drone wing. Changelog on the Forum OP and in the RAR has the details and I suggest you at least skim them. Also, I revamped the Forum Op to be far less cluttered and more interactive. I noted those changes as well in the changelog if you are interested.

I gave an individual thank you to each player who had posted suggestions but I just wanted to thank you all again for you continued support as I muddle my way. I hope you find the changes enjoyable.

Usgiyi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 12, 2022, 05:03:12 PM »

Only had time to read the changelog atm. Changes look good. I see you removed the autoforge from the Fetching. Figured I should mention you also have it on the Loyal and Endurance. The Loyal was and is stronger than the Fetching, at least when you fit harpoons to every slot. Endless harpoons everywhere, heh. Honestly vanilla missiles are weird balance-wise. Some missiles aren't op at all with infinite ammo and some like the harpoons just completely break the game.

I also wanted to mention lore-wise it seems odd for JYD to have 2 pristine nanoforges when the Hegemony only has 1. From what I understand only major (or highly influential) factions even have a pristine nanoforge. You also have a little mistake in your starsystem config, the light industry of dogstar4 is assigned a pristine nanoforge, which of course does nothing as light industry can't slot nanoforges.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 13, 2022, 01:05:29 AM »

Only had time to read the changelog atm. Changes look good. I see you removed the autoforge from the Fetching. Figured I should mention you also have it on the Loyal and Endurance. The Loyal was and is stronger than the Fetching, at least when you fit harpoons to every slot. Endless harpoons everywhere, heh. Honestly vanilla missiles are weird balance-wise. Some missiles aren't op at all with infinite ammo and some like the harpoons just completely break the game.
I felt there was a good case to remove it from the Fetching since it already had expanded racks built in and it was sort of doubled dipping. I left it in the Endurance because it is a dedicated missile ship but with only one mount and it is pretty useless when it runs dry. There is a case to be made for the Loyal though, the auto forge on that ship is a legacy from when I had all the weapons built-in. I changed that a couple patches back and I had sort of forgotten it had one and did not consider removing it in this patch. I'll give it a once over when I can but um I just spent 20 some hours pouring over JYD bug hunting and I'm a lil burned out atm and unless it is a critical error, I want to take some time to re-calibrate and actually play the game lol.
I also wanted to mention lore-wise it seems odd for JYD to have 2 pristine nanoforges when the Hegemony only has 1. From what I understand only major (or highly influential) factions even have a pristine nanoforge. You also have a little mistake in your starsystem config, the light industry of dogstar4 is assigned a pristine nanoforge, which of course does nothing as light industry can't slot nanoforges.
Well I would counter that with the established lore of JYD is that they are big time explorers and salvagers as well as miners. I do not think it is much of a stretch that they came across them while salvaging an abandoned station or planetary ruin. That is how I get them and I am just a singe commissioned officer and they have several fleets. I'll look into the light industry concern on 4 though and add it to my next pass along with the Loyal.

Thank you for both the kind words and all the help testing the mod. I would be curious to hear your thoughts once you've dug into the current changes further if you have the time.

Usgiyi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 13, 2022, 01:45:35 PM »

Yeah, there's a bit of a disconnect between the games lore and its actual gameplay. "I thought these nanoforges were supposed to be rare? We were only out there for 2 years, one small fleet, and we found 3 pristine nanoforges.. why isn't the Hegemony out there? They could field dozens of salvaging fleets. On top of that we found 5 habitable worlds; the commander said we're going to set up on one of them, since the Hegemony doesn't seem to care." Then in about a year you can have a manufacturing capacity rivaling the Hegemony and more or less be top of the sector's economy. In another couple years the players faction would be unrivaled in economic power. Makes the Hegemony look pretty lazy or extraordinarily incompetent. That or the player is just the god emperor.

The last playthrough I did JYD seemed to be a bit strong. I'm not sure if they just got lucky or what happened exactly, but JYD took over Sindria. Any faction that declared war on them would soon lose one of their planets. That's what made me even look at their industry. A few of the planets were pretty weak & undefended so that didn't seem unusual, but it did surprise me when JYD took over Sindria, considering how many strong fleets I always see there. It also wasn't just temporary, the Diktat made multiple attempts to take it back but always failed. So yeah, no idea if they just got lucky and then started snowballing or if their industry is a bit too strong. Was only one playthrough though, I'll see what happens in the next one I do.

As for ships.. yeah the Endurance seemed fine with the auto forge, I didn't test it all that much though, was just using it as a support ship for capitals. Just wanted to mention it in case you didn't know it had the auto forge.

I'll give it a once over when I can but um I just spent 20 some hours pouring over JYD bug hunting and I'm a lil burned out atm and unless it is a critical error, I want to take some time to re-calibrate and actually play the game lol.

Totally understand, I should've mentioned it in one of the previous posts as I knew about it back then. Take a well deserved break & have some fun.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 31