Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do people use Hyperion without Safety Override?  (Read 3997 times)

Kobura

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Do people use Hyperion without Safety Override?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2021, 08:42:23 AM »

Again, I'm still not at the end game, but I just haven't had a problem with a non-SO Hyperion. Maybe I'll feel differently later. People complain about having to vent, my question is, are you waiting for the cracks to form before exploiting them? Or jumping into fights a frigate (no matter how silly-broken) shouldn't be caught in? It's pretty rare I get caught and can't withdraw enough to jump out.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2021, 09:09:33 AM »

Safety overrides also doubles your dissipation which is massive. Basically double the firepower. I run 2x heavy blaster + ion pulser, which would not be feasible without SO. The damage output is so much higher with SO.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2021, 04:00:08 PM »

Running out of PPT CR? Just bring two and swap em out? with teleport they retreat within single digit seconds and you can bring on a new one to the front really easily.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2021, 02:42:58 PM »

My only question is whether anyone has cracked open game code to determine phase teleport logic when player has targeted a ship?  Half the time I try to phase a Hyperion behind a ship, I end up on the wrong side and get smoked... seems way less intuitive to use since there isn't any indicator of where you might end up.
I wasn't always a Judge...

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2021, 03:43:41 PM »

I thought it teleported to the cursor location? I haven't flown a hyperion in a little while though, so I could be wrong (was flying it right after the update to see how silly frigates had gotten).

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2021, 04:13:49 PM »

That sounds like he is trying to TP behind but is out of range so he ends up in front because that is the closest spot that is in range? Maybe if you try to TP too much on top of a ship, you could also trigger some logic about where you should end up, but it seems easy to just click behind the ship more.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2021, 04:16:04 PM »

Phase Teleporter seems kind of buggy this release; it does not feel the same as in previous releases.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2021, 04:22:58 PM »

That sounds like he is trying to TP behind but is out of range so he ends up in front because that is the closest spot that is in range? Maybe if you try to TP too much on top of a ship, you could also trigger some logic about where you should end up, but it seems easy to just click behind the ship more.

Definitely kinda that, but sometimes I phase towards a targeted ship from a flanking position and still end up behind it instead of the other side of it (perhaps because the direction my ship is pointing is towards the back of the targeted ship, but hard to tell if only a few degrees towards back of targeted ship).  But if it's only supposed to phase you to where the mouse pointer is (or short of it if too far), an update to the ship's ability description would be nice... since usually when nothing is targeted, phasing just spits you out ahead of wherever ship is pointing at TP max range.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2021, 04:59:51 PM »

I'm fairly certain it teleports to your cursor regardless of what direction you are facing or what you have targeted. I thiiiink that your ship will be facing your selected target after you TP though, which can be important.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2021, 05:13:11 PM »

I thiiiink that your ship will be facing your selected target after you TP though, which can be important.

It definitely seems to do that correctly and without fail (with a ship targeted).  The intention I guess was that you are supposed to always teleport behind the engines of the targeted ship, with Hyperion orientation in firing position.  Just too bad if you burning in a different direction than where you end up facing and don't release the correct keys, you fly in the wrong direction... at least game seems to drop all momentum when using teleport, but if you hold the wrong keys down while teleporting, Hyperion sometimes drifts into firing lines if it didn't already teleport into firing line (depending on where it gets spit out and if targeted ship is turning).  Could be wrong about dropping momentum (since other phase skip systems seem to preserve it), just hard to test if ship is getting constantly smoked.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2021, 05:29:59 PM »

I remember installing accelerated shields and extended shields to help with that, though it can be painful to jump next to enemies with burst PD as its so quick and has decent burst damage.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2021, 11:59:29 PM »

Hyperion teleports as close to the cursor as it can. It also seems to face whichever enemy ship is closest to the teleport location. I haven't had issues with facing when engaging, but when jumping around or disengaging, Hyperion can sometimes turn perpendicular to where I actually want to go.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2021, 04:37:50 AM »

Yes, it's a top frigate even without extreme builds. Not to mention that wolfpack tactics + energy mastery + cryo blasters/regular blasters means a lot of power in a very mobile and survivable package that can zoom around the battlefield as needed.

Its cost if offset by the fact that you won't have more than one in your fleet since the AI is better at using other ships and there's plenty of ways to offset cr issues.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2021, 01:51:39 AM »

Afflictor holds niche as the ultimate assassin frigate for player use uncontested, so I never saw much point in piloting the new Hyperion (other than variety, I guess).

As result, I only use Hyperion as AI ship, and I don't trust AI with SO ships (they never pilot aggressively enough to justify SO).

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2021, 12:30:29 PM »

AI with SO hyperion is much better than normal SO AI. It uses the TP to get into range, so it doesn't have the issues of normal SO where it takes damage on approach causing it to back off.
Pages: 1 [2]