Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do people use Hyperion without Safety Override?  (Read 4060 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Do people use Hyperion without Safety Override?
« on: October 11, 2021, 06:42:09 AM »

Given the massive benefits Safety Override gives Hyperion, it seems like the only reason not to use Safety Override is to nerf Hyperion configurations for enemy NPC fleets (so it cannot jump away if it gets in over its head, and the player can easily swat it).

With Safety Override, the Hyperion can teleport almost at will (needs Systems Expertise to chop the delay down to acceptable) and have enough dissipation to use all three mounts for guns (instead of two guns and a missile).

Trying to pilot Hyperion without Safety Override is an exercise of frustration.  It does not take much to build flux up high (it cannot support three guns while under fire), then if I do not have elite Helmsmanship, Hyperion is stuck, and even with elite Helmsmanship, I need to remember to drop shields (and take damage in the process) before teleporting.

Hyperion with Safety Override is much easier to pilot, but without PPT ups, it only has forty-something seconds before it starts ticking PPT down - not enough time!  Basically needs specific skills (from Leadership and Combat) to be usable.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Do people use Hyperion without Safety Override?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 08:42:57 AM »

I do. Though if I had to use it without skills, I think I would have indeed went for SO.

datamancer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 09:26:19 AM »

The PPT issue is what Hardened Subsystems are for. It still only ends up with about 2 minutes of uptime before you start burning CR%, but it also slows the burn rate of CR% once the PPT has run out.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 10:21:39 AM »

I don't even use safety overrides as I prefer to grind down enemy fleets in long slugging matches rather then rapid swarming assaults.

Or at the very least I'll leave those to the strike-craft.

And yes I DO get frequently torpedoed by the luddic path!
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 11:07:58 AM »

The PPT issue is what Hardened Subsystems are for. It still only ends up with about 2 minutes of uptime before you start burning CR%, but it also slows the burn rate of CR% once the PPT has run out.
You still get very little PPT after Safety Override has its way with Hyperion.  Hardened Subsystems would be mostly for slowing CR drain.

The Leadership skills gives much more PPT (and Reliability Engineering from Industry gives some), but again, gets into requiring specific skills to be usable.

Kobura

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 11:17:24 AM »

Yes. Not into the very end content yet, so a HMG in the middle flanked by Ion Bursters does me great. Shields up all the way and I can almost literally run through the center of an Ordo alone. Escaping is tricky, yes. I mostly use it to ankle-bite and fracture weakened spots in the enemy line.

Burvjradzite

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 11:57:07 AM »

After the nerf of SO not being s-mod anymore, i find it very painful to include it. Like, then SO was an s-mod it was literally on EVERY possible ship given how much it gives for free. And after the nerf SO returned on the state it's supposed to be, on very particular ships like Sunder and Glimmer. There was also SS build on Hyperion and Scarab with many antimatters. In everygame i played, i find it psychologically hard to play a nerfed strategy. So i must to say goodbye to SO Scarabs and Hyperions.

A regular Hyperion doing just fine with officer's piloting skill which you take anyway. And a player can play around it's teleport mechanic even without the red skills. I value PPT the most because i find myself play against core worlds who spam capitals in theirs expeditions.

Wapno

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 02:31:06 PM »

I find Hyperion without SO not worth using at all. For what the costs of operating this ship are - both in and outside the battle - its all flash over substance.

WITH SO however it becomes so deadly that there's not much reason to not use the hullmod. 3 of those officered can destroy almost any threat in the game. Of course there's a caveat, that you need to minmax into the required skills so that the ship lasts long enough to do its thing before falling apart. This is probably the biggest problem, as it forces you into a very specific playstyle when using this ship. In my Hyperion run, I had to permanently shelf my Radiant, because out of all skills, the only one I could reasonably afford to drop was Automated Ships (Systems Expertise gives Hyperion more PPT and is a huge boon to lots of other ships, so it stays. Field Repairs isn't going away, as not having to restore a ship every time it gets a D-mod from being randomly blown up in combat is way too much of a QoL to pass up).

Another problem with SO Hyperions is that unless the battle was extremely short, they're already in red CR after just one engagement. If you rely on those and are faced with two engagements back to back - you've got nothing to defend yourself with.

In the end, despite the caveats, the ship is just begging for SO. If you're not committing to that, it's absolutely not worth the hassle. Its destroyer-class stats, sub-destroyer-class weapon mounts and its gimmicky system are not worth the 40% CR per deployment, 30 maintenance cost, and 15 DP, unless maybe to capture a point and then immediately retreat it.

Burvjradzite

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 08:03:17 AM »

You again, I remembered you. You are the one who spread lies about how bad hyperion is.
Just admit that, Hyperion best ship in the game and we can move along. I don't know in that world you living there Hyperion weaponry are sub-destroyer.
Fury (a very efficient light cruiser): 15DP, 9000/600 flux, triple the fuel, worsen shield and shield arc
Hyperion: 15DP 8000/500 flux, faster, a frigate therefore can done +20% damage to everything except frigates (wolfpack)
Medusa: 12 DP, 6000/400 flux
Once again, being a frigate it has superior maneuverability, strife speed and acceleration, swarm AI behavior, kiting tactics. The ability to mount machinegun just pushes it further even then firing same amounts of flux as compared ships.
Just yield, dude, you cannot win. You still not provided anything.

Kobura

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 08:31:22 AM »

I don't know what kind of extra difficulty people are using that they think the Hyperion requires SO to work. I'm not into [maximum redacted] stuff yet but even for Ordos... elite shield skill, hardened extended shields (screw Salamanders!!) and all the flux stuff you can nab. It's the ultimate Rogue ship. Ions behind shields, ions at engines for when the opfor wants to bump out and think it'll just dip a toe in the water... no sorry you're coming all the way out. I even use mine as a tug sometimes for larger ships I can't efficiently kill - ion spray to flameout and disarm, push them at my line to be disposed of.

Wapno

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 01:27:55 PM »

You again, I remembered you. You are the one who spread lies about how bad hyperion is.
Just admit that, Hyperion best ship in the game and we can move along. I don't know in that world you living there Hyperion weaponry are sub-destroyer.
Fury (a very efficient light cruiser): 15DP, 9000/600 flux, triple the fuel, worsen shield and shield arc
Hyperion: 15DP 8000/500 flux, faster, a frigate therefore can done +20% damage to everything except frigates (wolfpack)
Medusa: 12 DP, 6000/400 flux
Once again, being a frigate it has superior maneuverability, strife speed and acceleration, swarm AI behavior, kiting tactics. The ability to mount machinegun just pushes it further even then firing same amounts of flux as compared ships.
Just yield, dude, you cannot win. You still not provided anything.
Not sure what your problem is, but I'd appreciate if you stop that caustic attitude of yours.

Not once did I say a lie in my posts, while you on the other hand are consistently ignoring my arguments.

Even in my previous post here I've openly stated that - yes - Hyperion can be effective, provided you slap SO on it, have all the necessary skills, can afford its high logistics apetite, and are okay with it being unable to fight two full-fledged battles in a row. The last one especially can be a pain in the neck, and makes it mandatory to have some backup warships in your fleet in case you run into two battles and your Hyperions are in the red CR at the moment - else you're helpless.

Got wolfpack tactics and everything else needed? Well, more power to ya - you got a cool strong ship. Would like to use something else than frigate swarm, and/or would like to invest skill points somewhere else than leadership (Automatic Ships maybe)? Tough luck - Hyperion is a flashy useless ship, crippled by all its downsides too much to be practical. It requires putting all your eggs in one basket to be useful.

All of the ships you've mentioned in your comparison can achieve the same exact thing as a non-SO Hyperion, but without wolfpack tactics, for half the maintenance cost and without dropping 40% CR per battle. Especially Medusa, which ironically is faster at running away with its phase skimmer, while non-SO Hyperion cannot use its system without zero-flux engine boost (which even with elite helmsmanship means having to hold fire and drop shield - likely a dangerous move in a situation where you're at high flux and have to flee in the first place).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 06:08:20 AM by Wapno »

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 01:53:02 PM »

I don't know what kind of extra difficulty people are using that they think the Hyperion requires SO to work. I'm not into [maximum redacted] stuff yet but even for Ordos... elite shield skill, hardened extended shields (screw Salamanders!!) and all the flux stuff you can nab. It's the ultimate Rogue ship. Ions behind shields, ions at engines for when the opfor wants to bump out and think it'll just dip a toe in the water... no sorry you're coming all the way out. I even use mine as a tug sometimes for larger ships I can't efficiently kill - ion spray to flameout and disarm, push them at my line to be disposed of.

For the player it is not really about surviving, its about being to jump around willy-nilly like a mad man *** on exposed hull and armor with a cryo blaster. Abusing AI shield facing and delayed shield deployment you can basically ignore shields and go straight for the juice. Without SO you have to drop shields to teleport and that extra second will wear you down quite fast when you got two radiant and fighters flying over you.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 02:54:41 PM »

For the player it is not really about surviving, its about being to jump around willy-nilly like a mad man *** on exposed hull and armor with a cryo blaster. Abusing AI shield facing and delayed shield deployment you can basically ignore shields and go straight for the juice. Without SO you have to drop shields to teleport and that extra second will wear you down quite fast when you got two radiant and fighters flying over you.
And that use requires elite Helmsmanship.  Without that (and SO), the Hyperion needs to fully vent to zero before it can jump.  Even with elite Helmsmanship, dropping shields before jumping is not ideal.  SO bypasses that flux or shield management mess.

I tried non-SO Hyperion with guns and ITU, and tried to brawl like a normal warship.  Without skills, it did not last long enough (not enough PPT) compared to other ships, and I was better off with those other ships.

Then I tried SO Hyperion, and it played much like it did before this release, except it is tougher and stronger.  Only problem, too low PPT without all the PPT up boosts (needs Leadership, Combat, and maybe I2R).

SO loadout I used was Heavy Blaster (anti-armor and good dps), Ion Pulser (EMP), and either HMG or chaingun (cannot remember, but I think chaingun because bypassing shields with unlimited teleport was relatively easy.)  Non-SO Hyperion cannot sustain that loadout continuously for very long.

Wapno

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2021, 03:57:29 PM »

And that use requires elite Helmsmanship.  Without that (and SO), the Hyperion needs to fully vent to zero before it can jump.  Even with elite Helmsmanship, dropping shields before jumping is not ideal.  SO bypasses that flux or shield management mess.
Which is why I'm worried Hyperion will be nerfed again in the next update. I feel like the whole point of the last changes to phase teleporter was to prevent it from being used to escape when being shot at. In that context, SO almost seems like an exploit, by letting you bypass the zero-flux engine boost requirement.

Would be a damn shame really. Aside from just being plain fun, it actually makes the ship viable.

I tried non-SO Hyperion with guns and ITU, and tried to brawl like a normal warship.  Without skills, it did not last long enough (not enough PPT) compared to other ships, and I was better off with those other ships.

Then I tried SO Hyperion, and it played much like it did before this release, except it is tougher and stronger.  Only problem, too low PPT without all the PPT up boosts (needs Leadership, Combat, and maybe I2R).

SO loadout I used was Heavy Blaster (anti-armor and good dps), Ion Pulser (EMP), and either HMG or chaingun (cannot remember, but I think chaingun because bypassing shields with unlimited teleport was relatively easy.)  Non-SO Hyperion cannot sustain that loadout continuously for very long.
Pretty much agree, even down to the loadout. I used HMG, since Heavy Blaster and Ion Pulser already provide enough anti-armor punch, making Chaingun redundant in DPS department. Chaingun also doesn't have enough burst DPS to be useful in shield-bypass ambush, where as HMG at least provides some flexibility against targets with omni shields and such.

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2021, 02:27:05 AM »

When I messed around with SO Hyperion when it was all the rage on the forums after 0.95a was released, I found it...sort of lackluster after all the hype. Good if you're killing a single Ordos fleet, but simply doesn't last long enough if you're going after 2 at once for the +500% XP bonus. In which case you'd have to remove SO to make it last long enough, but then it loses a lot of its punch and slipperiness.

The Hyperions basically distract and harass, but don't really have the staying power to absorb a lot of damage. So hammer but no anvil.

Whereas a fleet of Furies, even when adjusted to 20 DP, can handle the same setup just fine. The 2 Ordos fleets die long before the Furies runs out of peak, even without hardened subsystems. They work even better when you have an Onslaught or an Odyssey or a Doom helping them out as the immovable wall which pushes the battle lines toward the enemy spawn point. Maybe Hyperions would work better with a couple of big ships coming along too (back then I was testing pure fleets, i.e. pure Furies with just me in Doom or Aurora), dunno.
Pages: [1] 2