Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I fixed my Stuttering campaign / stock fresh game  (Read 2515 times)

Lance

• Ensign
    • View Profile
I fixed my Stuttering campaign / stock fresh game
« on: October 07, 2021, 04:17:53 PM »

Hello,

For me, starsector suffered of continuous stutters each 2 seconds in campaign on a fresh game and a fps shown at 59 fps with idle at 40-50% ONLY when the Speed up Key was held. - but i always play with speed up, the game being extremely slow otherwise

1080p, 60 hertz
4790K 4.5 ghz locked on all cores, 8 logical cores Hyper threading enabled
16 gb ram 2400 mhz
980ti gpu last driver
SSD 512 gb
Audigy RX 5, 7.1 soundcard
gpu tied to cpu disabled.
w10 last update
disabled antivirus/ game floders & exes & java ignored
disabled w10 exploit protection measures to test and specter/meltdown tweaks but didnt help.

Vsync was enabled in the config file.

Then I changed the FPS limiter of the game to 600 and i noticed a great improvement. It's weird, considering that it says that the fps limiter is disabled while vsync is enabled. Nonetheless it was not perfect.

Then i disabled Vsync in config file and enabled it in the Nvidia panel control, it was better. Still had few hiccups.
Then checked triple buffering and it improved even more.

it has a big downside, it increases lag input. but it's stutter free now.
The Ui Says that the idle is always 0% while fps is at 60 fps all the time.

Then i used "rivatuner statistic server" hooking into java.exe to limit the fps at 60 on top of vsync to reduce the inputlag, it worked flawlessly. ( Vsync+fps limiter = very smooth & low input lag but HUGE stutter if the vsync refresh rate / FPS is not sustained)

So it seems that the ingame vsync or fps limiter, or both arent working efficiently on my configuration.

I also tested on a very modded game. Stock setting was not enjoyable. Thoses manipulation helped tremendously despites the dips to 50 fps.

If you want to try, you need an nvidia gpu, create a new profile with starsector.exe & java.exe in the nvidia control panel. then select vsync forced on & triple buffering on.
BTW, DISABLE threaded optimization if you have it enabled globally, with a dedicated starsector profile which includes starsector.exe and java.exe. On = stutter, auto= no stutter -but who knows, off= no stutter. For a 64 bit system only.

Also, if you want to use reshade ( reshade.me), put the binaries for opengl in the java.exe folder  - if you use the "auto installer", select java.exe in starsector
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 05:09:38 PM by Lance »

dcong89

• Ensign
  • Work Hard Play Hard
    • View Profile
Re: I fixed my Stuttering campaign / stock fresh game
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 09:37:23 PM »

keep up good work , now i still stuttering after refit my ships and Run simulation test....(also fps drop 10-17 : many ships with many drones and many rockets)

dcong89

• Ensign
  • Work Hard Play Hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 09:52:39 PM »

omg i just tested ;FPS drop 18 with large battle (capital ships with many drone many rockets) but more stable now no stuttering.I just set as you said : Vertical syn : on , Triple Buffering : on , Threaded Optimization :off

Lance

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 02:11:14 AM »

you are mistaken, i'm talking about stutters from a fresh game without mods, in campaign/map/starscape and not in battle.
it's good that you see an improvement in fight thoo, to boost your fps you will either need a better cpu/gpu or less modded game or less DP per fights at once ( 200 dps is usually lagless). Also speed up combat mod decreases framerate a lot.

btw, theorically  in config file of starsector, we could change this line "useGLFlush":false because it's unnecessary with triple buffering (or double)
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2143240/opengl-glflush-vs-glfinish
However i do not see improvements when i disable it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 03:15:06 AM by Lance »