Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Add a sector map preview when making your charecter  (Read 1238 times)

Lukas1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Add a sector map preview when making your charecter
« on: October 02, 2021, 09:09:30 AM »

just a simple picture UI showing you the preview for the star map when you pick your map seed.  so you can see whether ot not you like the map before starting.
cuz imo its unfortunate when your like 2 hours in a run and when you finally decide to make a colony you realise that there are no good systems near by and the vacinity of the core worlds is just an empty void with like one blackhole or an empty system "and also the best habitable world you found is an arid with high gravity somewhere far away kek"
you can avoid that by making and deleting a save  and checking the map untill you find a good seed but thats anoying . so yeah thats about it.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Add a sector map preview when making your charecter
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 07:45:49 PM »

This is a good idea.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 12:35:49 AM »

I feel like a better solution would be to reduce the variance in sectorgen. If most people would be rerolling sectors until the get one where there's an average age constellation near the core, the game should just guarantee it.

Also, JFYI, Penelope's Star, a system in the core worlds, is always guaranteed to spawn with a 125% hazard desert world. So in a sense the fallback for garbage sectorgens is already there, it's just not a very good one.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 04:01:32 PM »

When life gives you lemons, throw a tantrum, accuse life of being lazy, and request an option to preview what kind of fruit you will receive...
I wasn't always a Judge...

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 10:11:36 AM »

At this point, why not suggest Alex to make core worlds not prune so many stars around them?

Lukas1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2021, 10:31:59 AM »

When life gives you lemons, throw a tantrum, accuse life of being lazy, and request an option to preview what kind of fruit you will receive...
idk man i just wanna see the star map before clicking  play so i can have a decent end game and have fun My Way. i dont think am throwing a tantrum or accusing anyone.

Lukas1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2021, 10:44:48 AM »

At this point, why not suggest Alex to make core worlds not prune so many stars around them?
honestly you can tell him to make the nearest star 100LY away all im asking is to not make it a chore to go from and to your colony as well as the accesability debuffs. thats why am asking for a map preview to reduce the chance of long trips. is that too much to ask for ?

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2021, 09:17:35 AM »

Doing a several hour long quest chain to gain the ability to save time travelling seems rather counterproductive.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2021, 10:19:50 AM »

ikr. I kind of wish there was a way to bypass parts of it if you know the secrets already. Like how you can reach the Zig as soon as you have TJ.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2021, 11:10:22 AM »

Not to mention doing the quest permanently wrecks one system enough to prevent its colonization.

Also, some of the enemies during that quest appear to be high-powered.  I prefer to be at endgame strength to crush them (or at least be at their level) before starting the quest (which I did), and have plenty of money to not care about diplomacy that involves bribery (just pay 'em and get on with it).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 11:12:05 AM by Megas »

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2021, 11:35:43 AM »

I suggested an abridged version of the quest once you've beaten it once to Alex a while ago and he responded positively, so I'm hopeful that will be improved.