Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Looking for guides  (Read 1030 times)

larz1695

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Looking for guides
« on: October 01, 2021, 03:38:15 AM »

I've been looking but it must be in all the wrong places. The ship and weapons guide in the pinned section has been very helpful but finding a guide devoted to economics and how to progress from early, to mid, to late, to [REDACTED] is sadly absent? I don't need a new user guide though. The tutorials included in the game have been awesome at that.

Dread Lord Murubarda

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for guides
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 10:06:36 AM »

they have high shields, right? so I guess focus on kinetic damage more than high explosive. use a falcon P with sabots  to quickly take out their shields and then some HE dmg missiles to finish them off.
the thing with them is they prefer to get in close, so a long range fleet doctrine isn't gonna be good, you need some flux efficient mid range weapons to quickly take out their shields and force them to retreat/no flux to shoot at you.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 01:04:00 PM »

I've been looking but it must be in all the wrong places. The ship and weapons guide in the pinned section has been very helpful but finding a guide devoted to economics and how to progress from early, to mid, to late, to [REDACTED] is sadly absent? I don't need a new user guide though. The tutorials included in the game have been awesome at that.

Are you asking how to make credits, or how to fight [REDACTED]?  These don't have to be related (although they can be if you're farming alpha AI cores to boost colony production).

Here's a quick stab at economics:

Late game passive income is all about having set a few colonies at size 6 with 3 profitable industries + commerce + free port, preferably in the same system to share defense fleets.  However, getting to that point is a large investment in credits. Also time investment in exploration if you want absolutely highest income possible, but you can often get away with 3 merely OK colonies without any exploration goodies or really amazing resources, and still be pulling in 400,000 passively a month once they're all full size, and you invest about 6 story points in them each (space port + commerce improvements).  On the other hand, investment to get to that point can probably hit 10 million credits (3 planets with tier 3 stations alone is 5.25 million credits, and you need those for stability with free port+commerce).

While waiting for colonies to grow, there's a number of ways to make enough credits to support a fleet, although some are more dependent on your combat skills than others.

Easiest ways to make credits without relying on combat:

1) Take a commission with a faction, which provides free credits based on your level monthly. It does come with the downside of potentially hostile core factions.

2) Missions from Galatia Academy can be profitable at the very start with a small fleet (i.e. even just 1 ship).  Going from point A to point B in the core worlds for 50 to 100k a pop is good credits at the start, and can quickly let you build up a cheap trade fleet.  Many can be done with a single Dram or shuttle.  Similarly, intel based exploration missions that say go to X and scan Y, can be done in 1 ship with a lot of fuel capacity.  I typically avoid ones which aren't orbiting something obvious or in the heart of the system, just to save time.  Collect multiples then just make a grand tour of the locations.

3) Once you've got a couple 100,000 credits, buy a couple transport ships and start buying things cheap and selling them to places that have shortages.  For example, go to Eochu Bres, buy drugs for 150 a pop on the black market, hover over the drugs in cargo and hit F1, find a planet in shortage, sell for 500-600 a pop on the black market.  A deficit might accept 500-1500 units, so you can make 175k to 525k pretty easily.  You can do similar things with other expensive resources. Watch your faction standing though.  Doing a mission now and then or killing a bounty to bring up your rep is sometimes necessary.

If you don't want to deal with combat during this phase, just buy up (and restore if needed for max burn and in combat speed) hounds for around 10-15,000 credits each, and throw on Safety Overrides, Unstable Injector, Expanded Cargo holds, and Augmented Drive field.  You'll be able to simply disengage from pirates without fighting unless they have some really fast ships, and you can pay off Pathers (who might have SO ships fast enough to catch you) or disengage from them as well.  Note, that having other, slower ships than the Hounds with their 255 speed in the fleet may result in having to go through a retreating fight.

4) If there's no obvious trades (which you can find by being in system, and hovering over the item type in question and pressing F1), hit up bars while you have a large amount of unused cargo space and look for trade missions.  They scale somewhat with your cargo capacity, and thus have scaling pay as well.

5) Stash good deal (cheap drugs/weapons) and other spare cargo or ships at a colony, or in the abandoned station in Corvus, so as to avoid storage fees.

6) Spending skill points in the industry tree can make the above even more profitable in the form of more cargo/fuel space at tier 1, to more efficient and/or more range at tier 3 (I like the fuel efficiency option for trading).  A fleet of 10 hounds with 3 skills in Industry is silly fast with plenty of cargo (1500) for nearly any size shortage, and 90 light year range.

If you've built up millions of credits, found a couple colonies and build them up over time.  Earlier is typically better, as income is essentially proportional to planet population.

If you're good at combat method:
1) Do bounties, either bar, contact, or intel bounties that are appropriate for your fleet size.  Kill the fleet and don't lose any ships.  Simple, right? :)
Sadly, I often accumulate d-mods doing a pure combat play through, although d-mods doesn't mean the ship becomes useless - just a little bit weaker.

2) Raid pop up pirate/pather bases.  Requires investment in marines, but then can get a bunch of resources for cheap (you're essentially trading marines for cargo).

3) Farm <Redacted>, turn in cores for cash to Tri-tach officials, or better yet, put them in your colony industries.

4) Create shortages and surpluses in the core by raiding/shutting down industries with marines, and then selling to the planets now in shortage.  Recommend you keep your transponder off for those.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 01:20:15 PM by Hiruma Kai »

larz1695

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 06:05:13 AM »

That last post was exactly what I needed. Thank you.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 11:05:08 AM »

2) Raid pop up pirate/pather bases.  Requires investment in marines, but then can get a bunch of resources for cheap (you're essentially trading marines for cargo).
With enough attack power (and selecting not too high-risk commodities), your fleet may not lose very many marines.  Also, with a large fleet, player may not even need to fight because the pirate fleets usually run away or at least keep their distance, if even present.  Before the raid, player can buy some marines (and crew) from pirates since they tend to be cheaper there than from your own colonies.

If you plan to raid much, bring Phantoms or Colossus Mk3s for their ground attack hullmods, if you have enough marines.  Phantom adds the most to ground attack, but it counts as a military ship (even if incapable of mounting any weapons for a real fight), which eats into DP pools of military ships for various skills.  Colossus 3 is not military if it does not have Military Subsystems.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 11:57:49 AM »

Just add a bit more about colonies, I attach a screen shot from my last campaign, of one of my industry worlds.   Typically I'll setup 1 to 2 worlds with 3 industries + commerce, and 2 more worlds with 3 industries + military HQ for defense.  Even without any exploration goodies, but with 3 alpha cores and 6 story points, this planet is pulling in 380,000 credits per month profit, located at the very edge of the sector (36 light years from Duzahk and the rest of the core).  There's nothing remarkable about the planet - I'm using literally none of the resources on it.  It's just a 150% hazard rock ball a long way from the core.

Combine with a habitable food/organics/light industry world and a mining world to reduce upkeep and provide defense fleets, and you're set.

This is also one of the reasons I prioritize colonizing in a Cryosleeper system over anything else.  All that really matters is getting to size 6.  Nearly everything else is secondary.  A cryosleeper in system with cryorevival facility + alpha core will easily triple population growth compared to without.  So instead of waiting a full cycle or more to go from size 3 to 4, you wait 4 months.  Going from size 5 to 6 is like 10 months.  In total it takes about 2 cycles to go from size 3 to size 6 in a cryosleeper system (assuming you've got a few alpha cores lying around and 90+% access to pull in 9 organics from Volturn or Gilead).

Another lucrative option if you're willing to go the pirating route is check out your fleet departures and smuggling tabs on your intel screen.  Occasionally interesting fleets will be launched, sometimes relief fleets, sometimes smugglers, and will tell you their cargos and destinations.  Go pirate the fleet in hyperspace with your transponder off, then go and sell the goods to the destination, which now may be in shortage.  Or wherever the best price you can find is (F1 is your friend).

[attachment deleted by admin]