Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Best way to farm beta cores?  (Read 1282 times)

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Best way to farm beta cores?
« on: September 26, 2021, 07:08:42 PM »

Gamma cores are really common drops from ramped up explorarium defenses, and alpha cores can be farmed from ordos. Is there a reliable way to farm up betas? With the coming changes to automated ships skill, they would seem to be the most useful kind.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to farm beta cores?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 05:49:18 AM »

Probably would use Radiant with integrated Beta core.  Six skills should be enough.  One or two more skills is a bonus.  (I do not integrate alpha because I want to remove it from the ship in case I need it to add a relay point in a star system.)  Today, what is the difference between 45% CR and 49% CR.  With x3 and x4 difference, and cores no longer counting as officers for DP, I think Beta core may be better than Alpha core for Radiant so player can have more CR for his killer Radiant.

However, Radiant with non-integrated Alpha Core is a convenient way to carry an Alpha core around for possible colonization purposes.

Is there a reliable way to farm up betas?
Farm weaker Ordos without killer Radiants?  Maybe in orange systems instead of red ones?

Sharp

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 10:02:18 AM »

I think just fighting ordos is the only way, find a Remnant base system and just keep visiting and blowing *** up. Probably smaller ordos are better for beta cores.

Kohlenstoff

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 11:45:28 AM »

The ordos of the current version of the game seem to drop according to their officers colors. So you need just to look out for strongly beta officered ordos and you will get more betas.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 11:47:10 AM by Kohlenstoff »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 01:25:29 PM »

I've found that the larger explorarium drone fleets can drop a decent number of beta cores, but they aren't common enough to really farm. Ordos is probably the only option.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 04:20:07 PM »

My issue is that ordos don't really use beta cores that much. After you kill a few, they are mostly alpha cored. Another problem is that lower tier cores tend to be used in smaller ships, and smaller ships have lower chances to drop their officers. Does the difficulty scaling drop back down over time or not?

Edit: speaking of the explorarium, do probe defenses ever get beta cores? I was under the impression only survey ships get betas, which makes them very rare indeed. What about derelict bounties?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 07:25:49 PM by Amoebka »

McTrigger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 02:23:41 PM »

Vast/Extensive Ruins usually give me 2-3 Beta cores. You can plop an Alpha Core on Tech Mining for extra finds until it's combed through and just abandon colony or give it away.