Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ship Scaling on an Samsung Odyssey G9  (Read 1329 times)

Gourdman

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Ship Scaling on an Samsung Odyssey G9
« on: September 26, 2021, 12:35:00 PM »

Recently got a new monitor and it seems to have some weird scaling of ships in combat if you run it at full resolution.  Now, Starsector seems to support ultrawide well, but when using 5120x1440 a very specific odd issue that makes the game...not unplayable but not pleasurable for sure.

It also only effects it in combat, not on the refit screen or otherwise, as far as I know.
Spoiler

[close]

Lance

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Scaling on an Samsung Odyssey G9
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 05:05:09 PM »

my answer wont help but i find this MEME venture funny; you may try a lower resolution at the same ratio then upscale it full screen maybe? Otherwise, windowed at a different ratio wont use the whole screen but it wont distord the ship, it's a temporary solution if you dont find better. :/

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 05:19:49 AM »

Yes I can reproduce this problem at will. It has something to do with when the aspect ratio of the game doesn't match the aspect ratio of the native resolution of the monitor, when playing in fullscreen mode. Alternatively, it may have something to do with the monitor switching its resolution when the game is not run at the native resolution. At any rate, the ships will have the proper aspect ratio when on the refit screen, but have an incorrect one in combat due to resizing. (Or the reverse.)

For example: my laptop's monitor has a resolution of 1366 x 768 (16:9 aspect ratio). If I play the game in fullscreen mode, at 1024 x 768 (4:3 aspect ratio) resolution, and I tell the display to maintain aspect ratio (i.e. black bars on left and right), then the refit screen (and the campaign map) will look normal, but the combat map will be thin; all ships will be tall vertically and squeezed horizontally. If I tell the display to stretch to fit, then the refit screen (and the campaign) will look "fat" (wider), while the combat map will be normal.

The fix is probably to keep the game at the same aspect ratio, i.e. assume that black bars on the left and right (in this case) is the "proper" way to display the game, and assume the player can adjust it that way on their monitor.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2021, 10:12:38 AM »

Try adjusting the application scaling behavior.

1. Right click on Starsector.exe
2. Select Properties (bottom)
3. click "Change high DPI settings"
4. check "Override high DPI.."

see attached

[attachment deleted by admin]

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2021, 08:52:59 PM »

Yes the DPI setting does work to correct this issue! At least on my machine anyway.

I found that another way to get it to work, is to set the monitor to 1024x768 *before* I load the game. Then it'll work fine. So the issue basically stems from the monitor changing its resolution after the game is already starting to load.