Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Similar Game  (Read 4114 times)

mxyzptlk

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Similar Game
« on: September 26, 2021, 07:24:51 AM »

Hey, hello everyone, theres a game that is pretty much like Starsector, but with some better graphics. I like Starsector alot. This game doesn't have the same "deep" of content, but it's cool and with more people in community, maybe we can get some more content.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/392080/Wayward_Terran_Frontier_Zero_Falls/

It's called Wayward Terran Frontier Zero Falls.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Similar Game
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 01:26:20 PM »

Imagine if we had graphics like this...

brroleg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 07:58:13 AM »

Devs of that game tried to swallow more than they can chew.

Cruis.In

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 04:15:22 PM »

Wayward Terran Frontier (WTF) and starsector have similarites in space combat, but the entire similarities end there.

WTF is more an entire simulation of your ship or where you are down to a single guy. You walk around your ship/space station in 2d, etc. you are a character, who controls the ship, and you explore, fight etc. The ship is simulated down to pixels, so individuals pixels explode etc. And the game entirely takes place in one view in real time.

Starsector has 2 modes, a strategic kind of galaxy flight mode, where many cool things are, like emergency burn, sensor detection, and kind of like a whole real time meta game with a high level over view on the galaxy/system map.

Then starsector really shines in its tactical 2d combat.

but WTF has been in development limbo for years. Just wasnt as successful as starsector.

also, WTF best gameplay is locked behind an INSANELY slow grind up explore system. theres no time speed up, traveling far is fairly slow and you need to find blueprints to make weapons or ships...at least in starsector you can buy ships and weapons from market before youo find blue prints.

It's like this games content is locked behind baffling design decisions. who wants to spend months looking for blueprints in a 2d game? or any game? I remember playing a couple days to see if there was a silver lining but there was none and it was an exercise in frustration, wanting to like it and progress, but being unable to and just not worth the time.

unlike starsector which every play through i start is addicting and i put in 200 hours in 2 weeks before taking  a break :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 07:43:30 PM by Cruis.In »

cj_writes

• Ensign
  • Wannabe media critic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 11:07:31 AM »

I'd recommend trying out the 'Escape Velocity' series, I get a feeling Alex is familiar with these too. They were an old Mac series from Ambrosia Software, and the first one was on the old like, pre-system 7 mac architecture if I recall but there are full ports of the two sequels. http://escape-velocity.games/

Space trading? Check. Piracy? Check. RPG type job/events/quests and huge dialogues and vibrant mod community? check check check!

One of my favorite things is that they did have playable demos for almost all their games, but EV was my favorite because if you played too long and didn't register, an NPC named "Cap'n Hector" would show up and start to get meaner and meaner. He was not quite invincible but if you killed him he'd come back stronger and do it again. Hector was the name of their studio's parrot and they even had a "Hector-Cam" where you would go to their website, click a button and yup, that's totally their parrot sittin' and chilling! Hector turned out to be a female parrot but it took years to find out  for her owners. https://evn.fandom.com/wiki/Hector

I noticed while necro-reading the FAQ/Suggestions threads over the last couple days, people kept asking about a demo. Reminded me of that game series' anti-piracy measures because they'd literally just send a space pirate after you to "Hector" you.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 11:14:11 AM by cj_writes »
"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
-Walt Whitman

Modo44

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 07:11:12 AM »

GraphicsLib + maximum zoom in will make Starsector look just as good in battle. Except you rarely do that, because it only kinda works for tiny battles with a few ships, or if you are 100% spectating.

Separately, the Steam reviews clearly show this is not a viable product. It would be cool to see a focus on small scale space battles, but this is not it.

LoneWolf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 06:27:08 PM »

Highly recommend the game Endless Sky on steam for anyone who likes Star sector, it isn't as detailed and i guess deep as Starsector but it really can be fun sometimes and the scale can be a lot bigger. It's also free :D