Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Of Slipstreams and Sensor Ghosts  (Read 16602 times)

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Of Slipstreams and Sensor Ghosts
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2021, 06:07:33 AM »

Not really impressed. I mean its not bad but I don't really see a point.
It would be more make sense to ships actually make paths/stream when they move through hyperspace that need to be maintained by constant movement. So there would be new streams made to new colonies etc.
There could b also some sort of storm breaking ships that make it much easier or opposite device for keeping base secret. 

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2021, 09:04:39 AM »

I have to ask, what good are these slipstreams into deep space when you need to remain around the core worlds anyway?

Hmm? I suppose you *could* play by remaining around the core worlds, but you absolutely don't need to, and you're missing out on much of the game if you do, so I'm not sure I see where you're coming from.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2021, 10:05:53 AM »

Hmm? I suppose you *could* play by remaining around the core worlds, but you absolutely don't need to, and you're missing out on much of the game if you do, so I'm not sure I see where you're coming from.
In short, babysitting problem.

Last release, with non-stop pirate raids that overrun the core worlds if player does not intervene, plus the grinding to fix rep loss from constant expeditions, player did not have much free time for deep fringe exploration (or raiding the hidden Remnant villages for loot) before yet another alert snaps the player back to core before something bad happens (usually pirates overrunning and decivilizing the core worlds).

This release, pirates seemed to have been toned down, but Pathers are fixed so player has another zombie faction to deal with if he plays with cores.  Not sure if majors spam expeditions too fast if Free Port is on like last release.  I do not know for sure if the need for babysitting has been toned down enough if player does everything to maximize power (and profit) and aggravate the sector.

Point is, if player gets an alert and needs to stop and rush back to defend something, it can hurt.  If my colony needs saving, it hurts if it is at the corner of the map instead of near core (and not near a gate or gates are still offline).  If zombie pirates are attacking the core worlds (especially one with low stability in the first place), player may need to stop and save the worlds.

Aside from that, player may want to hang around core worlds to run drugs and supplies from market to market, since it is safe and easy money (when player is too weak to fight bounties), or to raid industry worlds for their blueprints.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2021, 12:28:54 PM »

In short, babysitting problem.

Hmm, I don't think so. Even if what you're describing held up in the current release (and I don't think it does! especially if you factor in the benefits to that playstyle that exploration brings), what Brainwright is saying sounds more like a general sort of comment, not something specific to a particular approach.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2021, 05:56:48 PM »

Will you allow usage of restored Hypertaps to generate or control Slipstreams?
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2021, 06:52:42 PM »

First, I need to go to the core worlds to get missions that point me to where useful things are outside of the core worlds.

I actually do have a tendency to wander out into the outer part of the map, and it's pretty grim.  It's how I know paying attention to open hyperspace is pointless.  Seriously, run the calculations some time.  Is it more efficient to travel around a place of dense storms or to plow through it at safe speeds?  As it stands, the straight line is the best option, because all player paths are straight lines from bases of supply.

There are a great many systems that do not have anything at all in them, and evaluating these systems has a consequential cost.   Before the resource efficiency skills come into play, a player may only have enough space to carry the fuel and supplies to get to an exploration mission at the edge of the map without much in the way of extra stops.

You said in a previous thread that placing outposts in the distant part of the map makes them too civilized, but directing the player to places of good salvage through missions isn't substantially different.  Even pirate and Pather bases provide convenient resupply, through trade or raid, but it's all directed through objectives generated by the game.  The truly, "wild," parts of the game are empty and unprofitable to the player.

My suggestion would be to redistribute the core worlds around the map and rework hyperspace so that they are the places with easiest access.  It makes the outer wilds genuinely wild, especially with something like slipstreams that might connect you to places you wouldn't otherwise want to go.

Plus, making the outer wilds a matter of difficult navigation rather than raw distance is just fun.

Hadza

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2021, 06:24:42 PM »

It would be more make sense to ships actually make paths/stream when they move through hyperspace that need to be maintained by constant movement. So there would be new streams made to new colonies etc.

That sure does sound pretty neat, but I don't know if the game generates enough NPC traffic for that to be viable. Maybe mods will change that

CupcakeSama

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2021, 08:06:13 PM »

These sound so cool!!!!!!

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2021, 11:09:42 AM »

I was joking about the space fog banks, but I have since realized that I forgot to ask a rather important question... now that this game has code that handles/generates "particulate" flowing pixels, as well as code for axial geometry/trig, when do we get (hyper)space hurricanes on top of just regular hyperspace storms??
I wasn't always a Judge...

deoxyribonucleicacid

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2021, 01:14:44 AM »

hopefully (hopium) this is a segway to cosmic horrors, like idk some "curious" rogue slipstream that takes you outside the sector and lets you see some hyperspace creatures or who knows possibly.. maybe.. they appear in the slipstreams themselves

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2021, 01:50:41 AM »

slip stream vortexes; a jump point that remains hidden & inert until a slipstream with a sharp narrow bend forms pointing its elbow towards the vortex (or spawned in along with a valid slipstream & then destroyed with it) (or its generated on its own and then occasionally spawns its own slip stream when it decides to go active), & while active it pulls fleets towards & into it when they touch it.

if the vortex is close enough to another system it might just drop you into the far outskirts of that system, otherwise it might drop you into a special super fun system -- the kind of system that might not be connected to the hyperspace network bc its star(s) is a formation & constitution never witnessed by human kind.
Spoiler
stars made of nuclear matter. stars large & hot enough to prevent it from collapsing in on itself but made of dark matter that prevents normal matter from igniting the star leaving it completely invisible to the human eye, but still producing heat from the two types of matter annihilating inside of it as the magnetic forces holding the particles apart fail -- like an antimatter bomb the size of 10 jupiters, that you are now orbiting (hopefully [redacted] never got any ideas of how to make use of one). the remnants of a supermassive star large enough to collapse (after going supernova) past the point of a neutron star but just shy of forming a black hole, leaving a pin-prick sized molecule; a quark star, the weight & energy of a supermassive star but silent, producing no light & unleashing a hellish maelstrom of magnetic forces onto the system around it, like if a nebula system in SS was made entirely out of magnetic storms & solar flares. stars made of color superconducting strange matter, a great inert orb of completely frictionless (stuff analogous to) liquid that you could slam your ship into & it will glide all the way thru to the other side with the same momentum, assuming that you survived the conditions inside of it. A binary system of two stars, one of them antimatter, orbiting eachother too closely with a constant annihilation reaction between them forming a third "star" of far more massive proportions that looks less like a star & more like solar flares of massive proportions, in every direction all of the time.
An active galactic nucleus -- the lit galactic core. An incredibly thick accretion disk larger than the system map (u cant fly far enough out to get out of it, unless Alex really goes hogwild on this one), and in the middle of the "system", from where the primary of a normal system would be all the way out to where the outer exoplanets would be, is one gigantic, stupidly huge black hole -- so large that the only way to navigate the "system" is to circumnavigate; no up down left or right, only clockwise & counterclockwise, and inward or outward. and producing so much energy from the accretion disk falling in that it can be seen from many galaxies away, and importantly to you, most of that energy is being blasted into the accretion disk which absorbs and then re-emits that energy in secondary phases until it eventually bounces its way out into open space. Meaning; it is HOT. You are effectively inside of a hyperstar, lightyears wide. To be clear of how hot it is here; keeping in mind that going from Corvus to Askonia is probably tens of thousands of lightyears, within one lightyear of the AGN there are tens of billions of stars. And you're inside of it. Your tv dinner would cook in minutes
every single word of this post was leading up to that joke. and nobody will have read this far. PS: all of there are (or could be) real, i didnt make any of this up. the universe is(might be) a weird place
[close]
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

6chad.noirlee9

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2021, 11:26:58 AM »

perhaps it is not that the slip streams are in line with domain cycles, rather, it is domain cycles that are in line with slip streams.  after all, at one point they must have been used.  cant put gates everywhere without having a reliable means of moving to where you want them to go before one is there.
edit: edit: maybe were just falling with style LOL.  make a bubble, make the space in front of it smaller and just fall forward

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2021, 02:04:47 AM »

Anything that makes hyperspace less tedious and more interesting, without making it feel like a chore, is a good change.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2021, 04:18:54 AM »

Well this should make h-space more dynamic. I can't wait to rage quit after my fleet gets pushed into an ordo.... :)

Does slipstream network generation take into account gate position? As in generate further away from gates so slipstreaming doesn't become obsolete once you get the gate key?

Can sensor ghosts be used in system to lure patrols away from points of interests? So that you have a sensor skill dedicated for luring where as go dark and pinging are mostly good for hiding/detecting?  This could make subterfuge missions better without much tinkering.

Can we expect any hull mods to make direct use of slipstreams?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2021, 11:56:21 AM »

Well this should make h-space more dynamic. I can't wait to rage quit after my fleet gets pushed into an ordo.... :)

... yeah, that'll probably happen at some point :)

Does slipstream network generation take into account gate position? As in generate further away from gates so slipstreaming doesn't become obsolete once you get the gate key?

It doesn't, but it's randomized enough and there are a number of possible layouts that the randomization is based on, so I don't think that'll be a concern.

Can sensor ghosts be used in system to lure patrols away from points of interests? So that you have a sensor skill dedicated for luring where as go dark and pinging are mostly good for hiding/detecting?  This could make subterfuge missions better without much tinkering.

Sensor ghosts only exist in hyperspace, so no.

Can we expect any hull mods to make direct use of slipstreams?

I don't think so - just in general, I'm not a fan of hullmods that have a usefulness this narrow. I could in theory see, say, giving solar shielding an added effect that boosts slipstream travel somehow, but... I'm not sure that this is very *interesting*. But it's hard to really say without having a specific idea in mind, and it's not something I've given any prior thought.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7