Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Of Slipstreams and Sensor Ghosts  (Read 16841 times)

oooh_senpai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Of Slipstreams and Sensor Ghosts
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2021, 01:49:19 PM »

So, adding new cool mechanic to the game is why next patch is being delayed?

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2021, 04:25:57 PM »

the 0-flux bonus being always on is both thematic and doesn't benefit a specific group of ships over another *too* much, so it's a really good candidate
Wait a minute. +5 flat speed from elite helmsmanship is intended to benefit low-tech because "flat bonuses are better on ships with lower numbers", but flat +50 speed doesn't benefit anyone specifically? How does that work.  :D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2021, 04:27:40 PM »

Wait a minute. +5 flat speed from elite helmsmanship is intended to benefit low-tech because "flat bonuses are better on ships with lower numbers", but flat +50 speed doesn't benefit anyone specifically? How does that work.  :D

1) It's intended to benefit larger ships more, not specifically low tech
2) I did say *too much*; it obviously does benefit some ships more than others :)

sector_terror

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2021, 04:39:40 PM »

Well, there went my November update prediction.

I always have enough problems managing fuel and movement, lord knows what this will do to balancing the pay or bounty jobs given how much it changes navigation.

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2021, 05:14:09 PM »

So, adding new cool mechanic to the game is why next patch is being delayed?

No, the single biggest reason why the next patch is delayed is that every time somebody asks "when is it coming out?" or "why isn't it out yet?" or anything along those lines, it gets delayed for another week. For mods, two weeks.

The only answer anybody ever needs to know as to when the next patch will be released, is that it will be released soonTM.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2021, 06:56:58 PM »

Possibly off-topic but any changes to officers/mercs, particularly relating to recruitment and availability?
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

ubuntufreakdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2021, 09:11:03 PM »

Are there any plans for more repair options than full and no repairs?
When you return from exploration 5days from the core with lets say 20-40% CR left on most ships(after a battle against some auto defences) and about 10 days in supplies, and full repair would consume twice the supplies you have, so far common early situation.
The current action would be stop repairs.
Now every few seconds you get struck by an hyper storm, reducing the CR of one logistic ship to 0% allowing accidents, so every few seconds you have to open the fleet screen and resume the repairs for one ship and an in game day later stop them again, a micro hell.
I want an option to limit the amount of CR maximally repaired.

There was an idea to mark Neutrino sources on the map if you move enough, will the get an implementation?

Will those pirates at the slipstream end be hostile even with high pirate rep?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 09:17:17 PM by ubuntufreakdragon »

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2021, 03:29:52 AM »

the idea of sensor ghosts is fascinating to me. it reminds me of a bit in my favorite book blindsight, where the earth gets surveyed by alien probes that leave no trace except for a data stream tightbeamed at an asteroid in the outer belts. they send a group of probes to burn nonstop out past the asteroid to take snapshots of it as they pass by (which gave me one of my favorite quotes of all time, "Once or twice we are even asked if some judicious use of thrust and gravity might allow us to linger a bit longer, but deceleration is for pansies; we're headed for the stars. Bye Earth. Bye Mission Control. Bye Sol. See you at heat death."), and then a second group of probes to burn towards halfway & away the second half so that they actually come to a stop at the asteroid, and when they try to use 3 probes to triangulate a high resolution deep scan of the asteroid's internal composition, it vanishes instantly. because the asteroid was a super-positioned quantum particle; real enough for something to bounce a signal off of towards the real destination, but if you attempted to inspect it to garner any insight as to what put it there the waveform is collapsed & it snaps out of existence, revealing the true location of the data's destination -- but, even though the trick was identified by drones shot ahead of the human-laden space ship, by the time they find out it is, thanks to the fun of space travel & newton's third law, it's already too late to turn back. they're locked in to their heading & have been since leaving earth and all they can do is flick cards at a wall until they complete their trip out and then their trip back before rerouting to the new destination. whoever it was that laid the trick successfully managed to buy themselves a bunch of time, to prepare for/to do something, and the only thing humanity learned about them in the process is that they are either hostile or scared, of something.
a signal relay station, made out of a sensor ghost

also, the idea of a type of sensor ghost that functions literally exactly like an AI fleet until it gets revealed & vanishes is really cool to me. you're out in the blackness of dead space doing dead space things, and then a huge sensor signal shows up, something so big it can only be a hostile warfleet, and it's bearing down on you with murderous intent, and then just as it reaches you it fades into nothing -- a mote of dust that caught your ship's sensors in exactly the wrong way. or, you spot a small signal in an asteroid belt you're searching and it slips away from you as you approach it and begins fleeing, dodging you when you try to catch it until you e-burn an intercept course & it's revealed that it was a mote, a stray streak of exotic energy acting as if negatively magnetized away from your fleet, for no discernible reason. creepy stuff lays down this road.

edit: oh yeah & I just remember i wrote a big post spitballing ideas for sensor ghosts in call of duty's minimap that would allow for cod to give a permanent sorta-uav to both teams to discourage camping -- mostly just for me to document the thoughts somewhere I'd be able to find them later if needed. i would copy/paste some of the more applicable ideas but im tired so i'll just hyperlink it & hope nobody actually reads any of it. 1 juicy thought real quick before i actually log off though; a [redacted] station/site in a system defended extremely heavily by a massive number of patrolling fleets, most of which are sensor ghosts. an abandoned station that is revealed to be a sensor ghost & teleports to a new location when you reach it, once or twice. a type of star (or terrain. magnetic field?) that generates sensor ghosts. an abandoned station that is revealed to be a sensor ghost & teleports to a new location every time you reach it unless/until you use a neutrino detector to work out its real location & its not revealed until after you park at 0 speed within combat initiation range. a station that does the same but isn't abandoned/undefended & attacks as soon as you reveal it. a hullmod that generates sensor ghosts for enemy fleets with a lower ECM rating, and reduces sensor ghosts generated by an enemy fleet with this hullmod & a higher ECM rating. a campaign ability that creates a ghost signal of your fleet that emergency or sustained burns away from nearby hostiles but is only usable while going dark is active and in slow mode
okay a few ideas. i have a problem

On the comments of larger maps, as much as I'm wishy-washy on having them being larger (and the slipstream feature sure as hell justifies that), I guess I 'get' keeping the current size from both a design and SWE standpoint.  It's probably complex enough as is to plan out much less consider randomized elements.  But hey, mods find a way...

Yeah, I'm not sure increasing the Sector size just for the sake of "more" would be a good idea. I could see doing it if, say, it really needed more room to fit something specific in, though...

my last campaign i did that to my game to increase the difficulty by making the distance between things in hyperspace unreasonable
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 03:42:55 AM by Deshara »
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Ahriman

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2021, 04:00:04 AM »

Another lurker finally conquering his laziness to register. I just love it how every update upends my ideas about what Star Sector can be. The new skills are nice, I am overjoyed by the new low-tech stuff, but the slipstreams are a completely new and fun-sounding addition, just like the story points. Of course as someone who loves the Onslaught, the low-tech "soft buffs" will be the bestest, very closely followed by the new pirate ships, but seeing the game expand with meaningful mechanisms (as opposed to many other projects, *cough DF cough*), and with just as many bug fixes and balance changes is cool. Keep it up!  :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2021, 10:23:02 AM »

@SonnaBanana, @ubuntufreakdragon: A lot of that is indeed off-topic; I'm happy to answer, but I'd appreciate it if further discussion of those did not take place in this thread.

Possibly off-topic but any changes to officers/mercs, particularly relating to recruitment and availability?

Not at this point, but iirc I have a few notes of things I want to look at re: mercs. Officer availability seems completely fine to me - though, I suppose one related change - the "promotion candidate" intel will stick around for much longer now, making it more difficult to miss.

When you return from exploration 5days from the core with lets say 20-40% CR left on most ships(after a battle against some auto defences) and about 10 days in supplies, and full repair would consume twice the supplies you have, so far common early situation.
Now every few seconds you get struck by an hyper storm, reducing the CR of one logistic ship to 0% allowing accidents, so every few seconds you have to open the fleet screen and resume the repairs for one ship and an in game day later stop them again, a micro hell.

Hmm, no plans for that, no. Perhaps worth noting: you can avoid storm strikes by moving slowly (though of course when you're low on supplies that's not ideal). But I mean you can also avoid storms in the first place.

Just overall, I understand that this can be annoying, but I don't think it comes up often enough to warrant adding a relatively complex UI that will also invite further micromanagement at *other* points in the game. I think this would run the risk of being worse than the original problem, which, honestly - in my personal playtesting, that's happened to me maybe a couple of times total? There are lots of ways to manage things so it doesn't happen, and you can also just absorb an accident or two, since we're usually talking about the home stretch of an expedition returning to core (as you say) so...

I mean, one storm hit, that can happen, but if you're getting ping-ponged by storms strikes every couple of seconds, that's generally something you chose to have happen, right.

There was an idea to mark Neutrino sources on the map if you move enough, will the get an implementation?

Was there? I don't recall seeing that, but regardless, not something I was thinking about doing and - since I'm not familiar with the idea, or at least don't remember anything about it, I don't know what the motivation was behind it, so it's hard to say more.

Will those pirates at the slipstream end be hostile even with high pirate rep?

They won't, no - likewise with Pathers and merc fleets.

Another lurker finally conquering his laziness to register. I just love it how every update upends my ideas about what Star Sector can be. The new skills are nice, I am overjoyed by the new low-tech stuff, but the slipstreams are a completely new and fun-sounding addition, just like the story points. Of course as someone who loves the Onslaught, the low-tech "soft buffs" will be the bestest, very closely followed by the new pirate ships, but seeing the game expand with meaningful mechanisms (as opposed to many other projects, *cough DF cough*), and with just as many bug fixes and balance changes is cool. Keep it up!  :)

Thanky you, and welcome :D

ubuntufreakdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2021, 03:29:08 PM »

@SonnaBanana, @ubuntufreakdragon: A lot of that is indeed off-topic; I'm happy to answer, but I'd appreciate it if further discussion of those did not take place in this thread.

Hmm, no plans for that, no. Perhaps worth noting: you can avoid storm strikes by moving slowly (though of course when you're low on supplies that's not ideal). But I mean you can also avoid storms in the first place.

Just overall, I understand that this can be annoying, but I don't think it comes up often enough to warrant adding a relatively complex UI that will also invite further micromanagement at *other* points in the game. I think this would run the risk of being worse than the original problem, which, honestly - in my personal playtesting, that's happened to me maybe a couple of times total? There are lots of ways to manage things so it doesn't happen, and you can also just absorb an accident or two, since we're usually talking about the home stretch of an expedition returning to core (as you say) so...

I mean, one storm hit, that can happen, but if you're getting ping-ponged by storms strikes every couple of seconds, that's generally something you chose to have happen, right.

I placed a suggestion: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=22762.0
It my main annoyance in complete hyperspace travel.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2021, 05:33:55 PM »

Might slipstreams occurs more frequently or less frequently around/across...... significant regions?

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2021, 07:54:51 PM »

I have to ask, what good are these slipstreams into deep space when you need to remain around the core worlds anyway?

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2021, 08:04:05 PM »

I have to ask, what good are these slipstreams into deep space when you need to remain around the core worlds anyway?
They let you travel a bit faster on the average?

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2021, 08:47:31 PM »

They let you travel a bit faster on the average?

The divide between deep and open hyperspace is supposed to do this, too, but once you have the sensors skill, it's less expensive and faster to just plow through deep hyperspace running dark.

Your objectives are random, so there's no guarantee you'll get an objective near a slipstream or open hyperspace.

If the core worlds were turned to, "core," worlds, that is connected by open hyperspace lanes and regular appearance of slipstreams rather than a lack of distance, this mechanic would be far more useful.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7