Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Of Slipstreams and Sensor Ghosts  (Read 16835 times)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Of Slipstreams and Sensor Ghosts
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2021, 10:30:07 PM »

Not going to say no to more Hyperdangers and Hypertreasues!
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2021, 11:06:37 PM »

And yet, no Turtle-class. For shame.
And you won’t always encounter hostiles; sometimes you might encounter mercenaries or scavengers instead. So it’s both a potential combat encounter, and a source of information for a more observant player – information that could lead into yet more combat, if they so choose.
The only thing I can think of is "scavenger fleet in hyperspace means scavenger fleets in that system too". Otherwise, there are only pirate targets and independent targets, no big difference between them.

JAL28

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2021, 11:31:34 PM »

Well this looks great, basically fast travel in hyperspace without needing to finish the story or use mods

Madao

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2021, 02:02:51 AM »

Just brilliant as always Alex, keep doing your thing   ;D

Alliostra

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2021, 03:43:19 AM »

This looks amazing, I can't wait to travel through a giant pyrosome!  :D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2021, 08:39:02 AM »

Tangential question but do you expect the next update to break faction mods?

ceemeeoh

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2021, 10:28:04 AM »

Very interesting, I feel this is a perfect time to dig up my old suggestions about having a more scattered colonization layout with small outposts away from the core worlds, because it would make a hell of a lot of sense for the major powers to maintain a security presence at the ends of those slipstreams. Maybe there are a couple ideas in there and the replies that could be worth revisiting?

You're on to something, yeah.  A definite immersion-maker and encourages both curiosity and care to the exploration of other zones. 

On the comments of larger maps, as much as I'm wishy-washy on having them being larger (and the slipstream feature sure as hell justifies that), I guess I 'get' keeping the current size from both a design and SWE standpoint.  It's probably complex enough as is to plan out much less consider randomized elements.  But hey, mods find a way...

Nice stuff, Alex.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2021, 10:45:01 AM »

I don't think SS gains much from larger sector map, since all it does increases chances for a perfect system (nice, but not essential) and more loot from exploration (every system is like a lootbox and the more systems you have, the more lootboxes you get). It just means you can grind for longer.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2021, 11:14:41 AM »

Well this looks great, basically fast travel in hyperspace without needing to finish the story or use mods
Just brilliant as always Alex, keep doing your thing   ;D
Nice stuff, Alex.

Thank you!

This looks amazing, I can't wait to travel through a giant pyrosome!  :D

Oh, neat!

Tangential question but do you expect the next update to break faction mods?

I don't think so, no. Though I suppose depending on exactly what these mods do in hyperspace, slipstreams have the potential to throw a wrench into that. But just generally speaking, no.

I don't think SS gains much from larger sector map, since all it does increases chances for a perfect system (nice, but not essential) and more loot from exploration (every system is like a lootbox and the more systems you have, the more lootboxes you get). It just means you can grind for longer.
On the comments of larger maps, as much as I'm wishy-washy on having them being larger (and the slipstream feature sure as hell justifies that), I guess I 'get' keeping the current size from both a design and SWE standpoint.  It's probably complex enough as is to plan out much less consider randomized elements.  But hey, mods find a way...

Yeah, I'm not sure increasing the Sector size just for the sake of "more" would be a good idea. I could see doing it if, say, it really needed more room to fit something specific in, though...

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2021, 11:39:22 AM »

Bigger sector size makes the babysitting problem worse if player wants to explore (or build a colony) far from core, but player needs to frequently go to core, or if his colonies are at the deep fringe but needs to stop what he is doing and rush back to defend them as soon as an alert is posted.

Could not say how many times I had to stop deep fringe exploration because I spent too much time rushing back and forth intercepting raiders, and the one game (in 0.9 or 0.9.1) when I ignored pirates attacking the core worlds (because my colonies were at the southeast corner of the map, far from core), Asharu decivilized from repeated pirate raids, and other core worlds were at zero stability and ready to decivilize soon.

behrooz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2021, 12:20:07 PM »

This looks incredible!  One point of feedback -- the visual representation of slipstreams on the sector map needs to be scaled by intensity. 

In the examples, the slipstream indicators seem to have the same intensity regardless of width, so wider areas of the slipstreams stand out much more.

This is the inverse of the actual gameplay effects, where a narrower slipstream is 'faster' than it is when it widens out, a big fat wide arrow slipstream indicator stands out a lot more than the narrowest segments.

Thinner sections of the slipstreams would benefit from proportionally boosted brightness or opacity on the starmap to make them 'stand out', the way they will when you're zipping through 'em.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2021, 12:46:04 PM »

This looks incredible!  One point of feedback -- the visual representation of slipstreams on the sector map needs to be scaled by intensity. 

In the examples, the slipstream indicators seem to have the same intensity regardless of width, so wider areas of the slipstreams stand out much more.

This is the inverse of the actual gameplay effects, where a narrower slipstream is 'faster' than it is when it widens out, a big fat wide arrow slipstream indicator stands out a lot more than the narrowest segments.

Thinner sections of the slipstreams would benefit from proportionally boosted brightness or opacity on the starmap to make them 'stand out', the way they will when you're zipping through 'em.

Interesting idea! I gave this a quick try, and it doesn't work out that way - rather, it starts to look more confusing; if the wider sections are faded out enough for that to stand out, they're also faded out enough that's hard to tell that they're actually wider, so it becomes a "why is this faded out" (which, in fact, it could be also because the stream is dissipating, or because it's fading towards a "break", etc) rather than "ah, this is wider, so it'll be slower".

More information can sometimes become more visual noise and make things less clear rather than more; it's interesting to see where that point is sometimes!

chandl34

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2021, 02:16:16 PM »

Haha, I've always liked comparing this game's campaign to Sid Meier's Pirates!.  Now we've got our currents.   

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2021, 03:56:59 PM »

Haha, I've always liked comparing this game's campaign to Sid Meier's Pirates!.  Now we've got our currents.

Yarr! One of my all-time favorite games, btw.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2021, 05:32:27 PM »

Yarr! One of my all-time favorite games, btw.
What other stuff from Pirates would you lije to put in Starsector?
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7