Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tech Mining Improvements  (Read 1010 times)

JAL28

• Commander
    • View Profile
Tech Mining Improvements
« on: September 22, 2021, 07:19:06 AM »

Tech Mining is currently a really useless industry that exists literally only to line the player’s pocket with shiny baubles.

For one, Tech Mining should export a small amount of Supplied/Metals/Heavy Machinery/Ship Hulls. This is due to Tech Mining always creating these commodities without fail every month, as well as the possibility to find derelict ships in ruins.

Also, as ruins are tapped by Tech Mining, they should add growth and income multipliers to colonies depending on the percentage looted and extent of ruins. This could be due to the conversion of ruins into tourist sites(creating income) or using them as bases for new infrastructure(which leads to greater growth).

These would, potentially, make ruins useful for anyone not strapped on shiny baubles to collect as well as make them potentially viable for planets with ruins.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Tech Mining Improvements
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 09:15:55 AM »

Initially, Tech Mining did export some supplies, metals and heavy machinery. It was removed, because people complained about getting expeditions sent after them because of that.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 10:10:38 AM »

Yes, commodities from Tech Mining in the first 0.9a release brought the wrath of Diktat/League down on the player.

I like the idea of multiplying growth and/or income.  Currently, when I need those rare items, I need the industry slot for production and/or military base.
 By the time my planet grows big enough to spare an industry slot, I do not need the items from tech mining anymore.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 11:37:30 AM »

That was because Tech Mining produced fuel IIRC

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 12:51:19 PM »

That was because Tech Mining produced fuel IIRC
Fuel from Vast Ruins was not the only thing that aggravated factions.  I had League attack my colony for producing too much of one of the non-fuel commodities (maybe it was supplies) from Vast Ruins during that first 0.9 release.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 02:16:25 PM »

That seems like an easy-enough answer: Have it reduce demand rather than increase production.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 02:49:30 PM »

Personally, I would make Tech Mining a structure instead of an industry and let it supply metals, rare metals, and supplies at a low level based on ruin size, not market size. If vast ruins only gives base 4, then Tech Mining as a structure can't supplant the industries, but it is a nice boost early on.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 06:55:40 AM »

Personally, I would make Tech Mining a structure instead of an industry and let it supply metals, rare metals, and supplies at a low level based on ruin size, not market size. If vast ruins only gives base 4, then Tech Mining as a structure can't supplant the industries, but it is a nice boost early on.
Original Tech Mining did not scale by market size either, only by ruin size.

Because the game no longer sends expeditions from major factions at size 3 planets (I think, not sure), maybe exporting commodities can be useful again.  Tech Mining can also a massive Pather interest magnet (depending on ruin size), but size 3 colonies evade them.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 06:58:00 AM by Megas »

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2021, 02:13:43 PM »

This is a really, really interesting idea.
I wasn't always a Judge...

Sly

• Commander
  • Afflicionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2021, 03:10:23 PM »

I would tap them regularly early on if this were the case. The pittance of weapons and blueprints at Vast only just barely makes it worth exploiting later on due to cost, when I usually ignore anything smaller altogether.

Like SafariJohn says here, making it an industry improves the chance I'll take advantage of it.

For one, Tech Mining should export a small amount of Supplied/Metals/Heavy Machinery/Ship Hulls. This is due to Tech Mining always creating these commodities without fail every month, as well as the possibility to find derelict ships in ruins.

Also, as ruins are tapped by Tech Mining, they should add growth and income multipliers to colonies depending on the percentage looted and extent of ruins. This could be due to the conversion of ruins into tourist sites(creating income) or using them as bases for new infrastructure(which leads to greater growth).

I don't see why it couldn't do all of these things. We're not talking about supplanting real industry, colony items, or story points after all, but if you were lucky enough to roll Vast Ruins on a half decent planet, not only should you be able to take advantage of the derelict tech laying around, you can bet scavengers would treat it like a space age gold rush.

This is just a "would be nice" kind of thing, but a colony item for resetting the decay for finding useful baubles once it runs out would be an interesting find. A fleet of little search drones or a high tech satellite with advanced ground penetrating sonar or some such thing. Extending the life of it would be a cherry on top.

JAL28

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2021, 08:18:21 PM »

Initially, Tech Mining did export some supplies, metals and heavy machinery. It was removed, because people complained about getting expeditions sent after them because of that.

Then again, people still complain to this day about getting beaten up by the League after setting up a mining because they take up 1% of the ores share, so I don’t think it’s Tech Mining’s fault, more the expedition mechanic as a whole(something I won’t address in this thread)

Something else I thought might be interesting is Tech Mining producing an entirely random assortment of any commodity in the game, even if it isn’t present or possible on the planet, presumably due to hyper-advanced Domain tech components that could make that kind of magic work. It would probably either be fixed or be really small to be balanced, but could make tech mining work for anyone who wants to promote limited self-reliance.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 08:21:02 PM by JAL28 »

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2021, 04:16:59 PM »

I guess I didn't make my intentions behind posting a link to Alex clear last time...

Alex, you could make tech-mining work similarly - instead of mining stuff locally, the player could get beacons from it and take them to planets with ruins and have tech-mining explore them in a similar manner as to how it currently works, but with added payment for exploring the ruins in depth, that scales with the distance from the closest tech mine and the hazard rating of the planet you want searched.
Perhaps an upgrade from Tech Mining to Tech Expeditions? That could be fun.
This is a really, really interesting idea.
I wasn't always a Judge...