Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Holes in the Low tech lineup  (Read 2022 times)

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Holes in the Low tech lineup
« on: September 16, 2021, 02:25:41 PM »

I know they need a mid range/high end frigate(s), they got tons of junk and the current best is Lasher.
Maybe a destroyer size carrier that isn't a junk ship.

What all is missing relative to other tech levels for size and role? I assume some of them will be more high end with the burn changes. Feel free to mention midline or high tech if you feel a spot is missing. I'm just trying to quantify everything in my brain so it's all welcome.

connortron7

• Captain
  • "God has cursed me for my hubris" - brian gilbert
    • View Profile
Re: Holes in the Low tech lineup
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 04:19:42 PM »

Idk if he will be adding frigates but alex showed us a new lowtech destroyer and cruiser on his Twitter for the next update

Kanjejou

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 05:10:46 PM »

Low tech lack punchy ships and or mobile ships..

Its too easy to kite/out dps lowtech ships frontaly... lasher and onslaught can duel frontaly stuff thanks to ship system (lasher) or build in extra guns(onslaught) but all the other whatever their type, Mule Enforcer Condor More Dominator are too slow or too weakly armed to pose a serious threat to things below or above their size.

In every low tech run i do i have to rely on lasher and onslaught a lot to get things done...all the other onyl seem to hodlt he line but never succed in breaking any ennemy shields

so for me low tech need a fast destroyer or cruiser that dont cost too much DP.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 09:40:54 AM »

It's worth noting that Alex doesn't consider each individual tech as required to stand on its own, so unless there are missing roles in the entire game, you might simply have to contend with "just use other tech equivalent".

Kanjejou

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 03:03:33 PM »

Yeah i admit i wad going with the every tech should be self sufficient point of view, which may not be what the creator is aimign for and its a problem on my side of things.

Still feel like the low tech lack a cheap low tech cruiser and maybe a costly frigate or a more classic destroyer that is not a brick with fun like the enforcer.

for ship that are supposed to have a slow and steady/heavy balistic spam gameplay they tend to not be the best in either of those...

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 03:08:06 PM »

I think as long as you throw Midline into the mix, you can successfully exclude either one of the other techs?

Kanjejou

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 03:25:50 PM »

Yeah midline are very good hole filler they arent super nice alone but go very well with high or low tech

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 04:07:54 AM »

as far as i can tell this was done intentionally to discourage players from refusing to mix tech levels
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 04:15:11 AM »

Why would Alex want to discourage playstyles? What actual purpose would that even serve? It doesn't look intentional at all to me.

Seems more likely he just added stuff based on what was required overall and what was inspiring him at the time. Like the new Low tech destroyer, it's required and he had good ideas for it.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2021, 04:28:33 AM »

And what if each tech level was complete, with all roles filled?

There'd be no point to one-tech restrictions, because it wouldn't actually be any different.

It doesn't discourage playstyles, it creates them.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2021, 04:43:32 AM »

And what if each tech level was complete, with all roles filled?
It means high-tech blueprint pack becomes less of a joke, unless Alex insists on throwing everything into elite singletons, which is kind of lame.

High-tech should have a carrier smaller than Astral.  Something to add (along with Fury) to the high-tech blueprint pack.  Wolf, Shrike, and Apogee only is a letdown, compared to the smorgasbord the player gets from the low-tech and midline blueprint packs.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2021, 05:28:27 AM »

I honestly think all tech levels are pretty much complete (as of the low tech additions in next update, which I thought were very much missing before). Sure there's niche gaps to fill but it doesn't seem necessary unless something very unique gets added. Only thing I think still needs to exist is as Megas mentioned, a high tech carrier that's not a capital. It's funny that Tri Tach follow a carrier heavy doctrine but they really don't have anything to use except Herons. Which are completely fine and good but most factions use them.

Also would be a plus to reinforce the high tech blueprint. I don't mind it much personally but if each tech level is supposed to be the same and equal then why the hell is almost every high tech ship some sort of rare find.
Please don't take me too seriously.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2021, 05:46:27 AM »

Why would Alex want to discourage playstyles? What actual purpose would that even serve? It doesn't look intentional at all to me.
I think it isn't to discourage playstyles, but to make tech themed playthroughs feel different, since you lack some roles and have to work around it.
It also seems pretty intentional to me, since the only faction that doesn't use multiple techs is Luddic Church. Speaking of that, why would Alex make "techs" and not faction line-ups, if not because they because they aren't meant to be exclusive and supposed to stand entirely on their own.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2021, 06:42:25 AM »

Also would be a plus to reinforce the high tech blueprint. I don't mind it much personally but if each tech level is supposed to be the same and equal then why the hell is almost every high tech ship some sort of rare find.
I eventually raid Culann (almost) to the ground because Tri-Tachyon has too many exclusive ship blueprints and weapons.  Few are shared by Diktat which is an even harder nut to crack and raid, and I do not raid Sindria for blueprints.  I probably raid Culann more than any other industry world except maybe New Maxios, and I save Culann for last.

Raid order:  New Maxios (easiest), Asher (Legion), Kapteyn Starworks (big pirate ships), Raesvelg (weapons and XIV ships), Culann (rare high-tech everything), Kazeron (Champion).

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2021, 06:45:14 AM »

Same here, I've destroyed their battlestation so many times it's boring. Usually there's a thing or two that I'd like to get but there's SOOOO MUCH unique stuff there that after the raid I always go "oh right yeah this also exists". Back when there was no delay on raids I think I brough stability down to -73 or something like that.
Please don't take me too seriously.
Pages: [1] 2