Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cosmetic customization for ships  (Read 462 times)

AnthonyA4

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Cosmetic customization for ships
« on: September 13, 2021, 09:55:29 AM »

Nothing fancy, maybe just a paint shop so we can recolor our ships and give our fleets a bit of uniformity. Oooh, maybe you could set it so that your faction's ships are all one color! What do you guys think of that idea?

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Cosmetic customization for ships
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 12:51:32 PM »

I did have an idea for decorative items for hardpoints/turret slots.
Recolours would probably require repainting a lot of ships to add remap colours.

AnthonyA4

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 01:49:11 PM »

I did have an idea for decorative items for hardpoints/turret slots.
Recolours would probably require repainting a lot of ships to add remap colours.

Good point. Probably something for later in the dev cycle, if at all.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 01:57:27 PM »

Sounds like someone just doesn't feel like modding such a tedious undertaking themselves...!

But seriously, it would be kinda cool to reward players that run an entire fleet of a single faction ship type (pirate, TT, LP, XIV, etc.) with what is basically reputation free piracy, where the faction that your ships look like gets blamed instead (ie, a false flag incident); if you fail/lose/get "caught," you lose rep with both factions.  However, adding a paint recoloring action would basically negate the point of the previous suggestion.  So basically, no, a paint shop is bad idea, lots of mechanical turk work with little payoff beyond aesthetics.  I would rather have Alex play with fluid dynamics code so that battles which occur in solar flare or neutron star beam look way way waaay cooler.  Or at least more system backgrounds like the Unknown Skies mod, or the low-orbit battle maps in the Scy Nation mod.
I wasn't always a Judge...