Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Legion XIV > STD Legion  (Read 2607 times)

Kanjejou

• Commander
    • View Profile
Legion XIV > STD Legion
« on: September 13, 2021, 10:07:43 AM »

Just got my hand on a legion 14 and its loadout seem way more effectiv for a battlecarrier than the standard version.

The two large missile are so much better than the two balistic its not even funny, yes your are ammo limited but the fact its a free flux twin weapons with Range and Damages make it so *** goood.

The two large balistic look very nice but you only get more range for obscene price or very high flux

Once you get a Legion 14 why use a standard one?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 10:10:25 AM by Kanjejou »

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Legion XIV > STD Legion
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 10:18:32 AM »

Well in fairness the standard one can still be replaced.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 10:36:12 AM »

I like how the standard legion can have 5 medium missiles + longer ranged/more efficient main guns than an XIV. I think the XIV is a little better, but mainly because of the stat boosts rather than the mounts, which I think are roughly equal.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 10:42:58 AM »

I can't stop laughing at the "STD Legion", what did it have sex with an Onslaught lmao. (I get how the acronym makes sense but it's still unfortunate)

Anyways I think both of them are decent, one can have crazy burst, one is a bit more suited for lange range pew pew with guns, both have pros and cons. But at the end of the day both are capital battlecarriers which are a pain to outfit and put officers in. Not enough OP for usual stuff and officer will be weaker than in a specialized ship. Fun to use tho, especially in mid game.
Please don't take me too seriously.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 11:13:24 AM »

I really prefer the XIV legion because hurricanes exist. I just run 5x HVD for 1000 range firepower anyway. It's consistently one of the highest damage output ships in my fleet, and like 60%-70% of that damage is just hurricanes with as much ammo as I can get.

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 01:50:48 PM »

I'm fine with the mainline Legion.  Fill that thing up with Annihilators and a couple of large kinetic weapons.  Nothing is going to have fun with that.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 02:30:55 PM »

One of the things going for Legion XIV is it is one of the few ships that can use large dumb-fire missiles well.  While it is a battlecarrier, it can be built like a missileship instead and the bays completely ignored (or mining pods installed in bays) in favor of missiles and guns.

Standard Legion is a gimped Onslaught with fighter bays, which is not very useful this release.  The closest thing to a Legion XIV in terms of warship with missiles is the Champion (playership) or Radiant (AI wingman only).

I would prefer standard Legion over Legion XIV, but with way things are, I am better off with Onslaught if I want a gunship.  The only reason I would want Legion is my fleet is because I want to fling Hammers or Reapers with the large missile mounts.

Historian is necessary for the blueprint.  Not even Hegemony has the Legion XIV blueprint, only historian.

connortron7

• Captain
  • "God has cursed me for my hubris" - brian gilbert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 07:50:28 AM »

I personally dislike the XIV as far as piloting goes, as i like to take great advantage of my burn drive and make use of the "battle" part of the battlecarrier.

The XIV is better for a rear support carrier role.

ubuntufreakdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 08:29:38 AM »

Sometimes you already have tons of L Missile slots in your fleet, than I miss the large ballistics, would be nice if it were composite.

Jo Jo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 04:00:29 PM »

My standard Legion could never beat an Onslaught in AI controlled 1 vs 1 combat from the fitting screen, but the Legion 14 sure can. It's a heck of an improvement in my limited gaming experience. I kind of like it.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2021, 04:09:24 AM »

I'm requesting that it's never called the STD Legion again.

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2021, 06:18:14 AM »

At some point some wag is going to come along and say that the vanilla version of the game should henceforth be called STD Starsector.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2021, 09:07:24 AM »

Where the Legion XIV really comes out on top is the fact that Large Missiles don't generate flux. You can actually cram all the medium mounts with good weapons and still use them versus getting Large Ballistics and being forced to carefully manage the Mediums or make them Missiles. Now that Expanded Missile Racks can be built in and you can get Missile Specialization, Legion XIV can pack a ton of very powerful flux-free ordinance that can last a whole battle. Not to mention the fighters can be used to open holes for the strike weapons rather than the other way around.

Standard Legion is a Dominator+ with Fighters, which is good but not great. Legion XIV is kind of its own thing that you can really lean into and it becomes perhaps the best missile boat in the game.

Jo Jo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2021, 02:12:36 PM »

I really prefer the XIV legion because hurricanes exist. I just run 5x HVD for 1000 range firepower anyway. It's consistently one of the highest damage output ships in my fleet, and like 60%-70% of that damage is just hurricanes with as much ammo as I can get.

I'm just now getting to read your post and I'm wondering if you invest any OP in fighters or just leave the bays empty? Also, what hullmods are you using? Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2