Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Add the Rugged Construction hullmod to explorarium drones.  (Read 650 times)

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Add the Rugged Construction hullmod to explorarium drones.
« on: September 10, 2021, 12:11:32 AM »

They are shieldless, look low-tech and tend to die a lot. Seems like a natural fit. Probably still wouldn't make them competitive with remnant ships for player fleets, but at least they will be more appealing early game.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Add the Rugged Construction hullmod to explorarium drones.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 12:37:16 AM »

Makes sense, the Rampart is outright described this way.

Little more than an artillery platform with engines, the Rampart was attached to drone units to provide the heavy firepower necessary to meet cruiser and capital class hulls in the line of combat or to crack armoured orbital fortresses. In either role, heavy losses were anticipated, so the Rampart was designed with highly modular components which allowed badly damaged hulls to be rapidly cannibalized to repair lightly damaged hulls up to combat capacity without the need for shipyard facilities.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 02:00:22 PM »

Yeah, I think this would be a really good idea, actually. Makes them a little more practical as well as funny.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 02:06:15 PM »

Hmm, interesting idea! Rugged Construction is definitely a shieldless ship thing, and they seem like they'd be weak enough to make good "easy" enemies even with a reduced effect from d-mods. Made a note to have a look; might be some unanticipated effect here but barring that, I think I like it!