Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Derelects too deep inside star coronas  (Read 1402 times)

Jo Jo

• Commander
    • View Profile
Derelects too deep inside star coronas
« on: September 08, 2021, 12:32:36 PM »

I ended up bouncing off star coronas quite a few times while exploring and unsuccessfully trying to reach research stations, weapon caches, and even one old remnant of the ring system. In frustration, I finally decided I must have been doing something wrong and I turned to a few search engines for an answer where I found a thread with the same name from mid 2017 (see link below). The 2017 suggested solution was to emergency burn into the star's corona in the direction of the object you were trying to reach.

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12596.0

I haven't had a chance to play the game and experiment with this 2017 solution, though yesterday I tried slow boating it and moving at 18 on a sustained burn, and all that happened was I lost lots of supplies and I just bounced off the corona. The developer and the community have had over three years to address this perplexing issue and I'm wondering what the solution in 95.a is. Same thing? Emergency Burn into it? I also saw some videos where you can create a stable point in a system if you burn into the star. I even tried that using sustained burn, but I went right through the star or around it (2-D game)? Maybe I needed to emergency burn into it?

There was quite a bit of discussion about solar shielding which at the time was deemed somewhat useless for combat and some even considered it a hindrance that might lose them their ship in battle. Is that still the case or has the mod been reworked to make it a more practical choice? Is it still only for small exploration groups that need to enter the sun's corona? Thanks!

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Derelects too deep inside star coronas
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 01:08:32 PM »

Sustained Burn increases your top speed, but decreases your acceleration. Star coronas accelerate you away from the star, enough to overcome sustained burn. I simply disable sustained burn to investigate objects in the corona, but emergency burning in is also fine.

I also saw some videos where you can create a stable point in a system if you burn into the star. I even tried that using sustained burn, but I went right through the star or around it (2-D game)? Maybe I needed to emergency burn into it?
You need to click on the star to interact with it, instead of just passing over it. Same as with planets, derelicts, hyperspace jumps, etc.

There was quite a bit of discussion about solar shielding which at the time was deemed somewhat useless for combat and some even considered it a hindrance that might lose them their ship in battle. Is that still the case or has the mod been reworked to make it a more practical choice? Is it still only for small exploration groups that need to enter the sun's corona? Thanks!
Solar Shielding is meta now, as far as I am concerned. Not even because of Remnants, but because I don't have the time to tip toe around the hyperspace storms storms.

Jo Jo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 04:57:14 PM »

Sustained Burn increases your top speed, but decreases your acceleration. Star coronas accelerate you away from the star, enough to overcome sustained burn. I simply disable sustained burn to investigate objects in the corona, but emergency burning in is also fine.

I also saw some videos where you can create a stable point in a system if you burn into the star. I even tried that using sustained burn, but I went right through the star or around it (2-D game)? Maybe I needed to emergency burn into it?
You need to click on the star to interact with it, instead of just passing over it. Same as with planets, derelicts, hyperspace jumps, etc.

Solar Shielding is meta now, as far as I am concerned. Not even because of Remnants, but because I don't have the time to tip toe around the hyperspace storms storms.

Thank you. I'll give all of these a try. :)

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 01:52:20 AM »

Just wait until you encounter a research station orbiting a neutron star at just the right distance to always stay in the middle of a pulsar beam. And even that is doable if you emergency burn on top of the star and enter the beam at just the right angle to click the station while the beam is yeeting you away at the speed of light.  :D

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 08:07:53 AM »

Why wouldn't you just wait until the research station orbited out of the beam?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 08:52:39 AM »

Sometimes the sych is juuust right and it would take months...

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 09:00:53 AM »

Waiting months will still probably cost less supplies than flying into the beam, but I guess that's not a big deal sometimes.

Jo Jo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 11:28:39 AM »

I have encountered one neutron star so far in my limited gameplay and it was a pain! I can't imagine trying to approach a research station that has some kind of locked orbit leaving it in the path of the jets.

There are some dedicated players on this forum, just saying. ;)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 11:39:15 AM »

I've never seen it actually in-sync. From my experience, worst case is waiting like a minute or two IRL.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 12:21:15 PM by intrinsic_parity »

Jo Jo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 12:16:53 PM »

I've never seen it actually in-sync. From my experience, worst case is waiting like a minute IRL.

LOL! That's a lot better. I got caught by one of those jets before I knew they moved as they do IRL, and man was that costly. Another lesson learned. J