Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Luddic Path Cells Active  (Read 3006 times)

Jo Jo

• Commander
    • View Profile
Luddic Path Cells Active
« on: September 07, 2021, 08:48:03 PM »

I just received an announcement that "Luddic Path Cells Active" on my one colony. I did just install AI cores on all the parts of the colony that I could in an attempt to make it more profitable. A forum search for the same as the title only showed a patch that made them work as they should, but no direction or advice. A Google search lead me to several older threads from 2018 where people said you can find their bases in the planet search, though that was identified as a "bug" and several others seemed to think the whole Luddic Path mechanic was broken since "you could spend all day flying around looking for the bases that could be half a sector away." Another said, "Luddic Path bases were given insane range in the last patch (2018 version) meaning that they could be so far away that it would take you forever to find it." A Reddit post indicated the only way to find them was to fly around to pirate bases and speak to people in the bar, hoping that one of them would know about your particular base. Once you take it out, it appears to come back in only a year or so and the whole mess starts over. Overall, not many positive comments (none) that I could find from the game in 2018 with regards to the Luddic Path mechanic.

It's my understanding that they are operating from some base nearby, though no base is in the system. Has there been any improvement in the game regarding ways to find the bases?

How insidious are these Luddic Path? Does taking out their base really only give you a year break? Is there nothing you can put on the colony such as a spy headquarters that could eliminate these cells?

I've read from older posts that their sabotage was destructive and cumulative. Any improvement here?

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Edit: Okay. I just saw under "Colony threats" two pieces of info:
--Luddic Path Base - Exact location unknown - seems to be providing support to cells attacking four colonies with one being mine
--Luddic Path Cells Active - The Pather base at the Zirnitra star system...

So at least I know where one base is and I can go take it out.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 08:59:44 PM by Jo Jo »

Randaru

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Luddic Path Cells Active
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 09:45:44 PM »

Basically, they work just like pirate bases, but slightly altered in one way or the other.

Sleeper cells are idle. As far as I remember, they can cause stability drop in a select colony on occasion, but nothing you can do about it.

Both disturbed or active cells you can fight (unlike pirates, that you can only fight once they're active) on their home turf, which obviously means station busting. An active cell, if left unchecked, can quickly cut into your stability and profit margins. Same way as with pirates, asking around the bar on one of your colonies guarantees to give you the info on the system the enemy is located in (unlike pirates, it costs you some pocker change now). Disruption lasts a year by default, but it may also cause the cell to go "sleeper" mode, which, IIRC, randomizes the timer in either direction.

As with pirates, having your colonies in one system drastically reduces the amount of babysitting you'll have to do yearly. However, having 11 planets in a single system myself, I have to do the disruption on two yearly timers, and not one - I'm not sure if it's intentional or not.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 09:47:41 PM by Randaru »

JAL28

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 05:16:03 AM »

How insidious are these Luddic Path? Does taking out their base really only give you a year break? Is there nothing you can put on the colony such as a spy headquarters that could eliminate these cells?

See, what you're looking for are mods. There's a modded industry in Terraforming and Station Construction that can remove Pather Cells if given an alpha AI(CHAMELEON). It's usually reserved for colonies that inevitably pass the Pather Interest threshold due to the nature of necessary industries. But otherwise, I try to keep low and from attracting their attention in the first place.

ubuntufreakdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 07:26:07 AM »

Pather Cells can be ignored a long as you have the money to restabilize the colony after their actions.
you can quickly identify their bases by investing 10000Cr, just go to a bar of an affected colony any pay a corrupted Pather for the info.
Pather Bases tend to be stronger than Pirate Bases, so bring some Capitals or many Cruisers.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 10:03:44 AM »

If you have two heavy industries for redundancy, I wouldn't concern myself with pather cells. They don't have that much of an impact, except for industry disruption, which is somewhat annoying, but not world ending. Except for your heavy industry. Losing ship quality and delaying custom orders hurts.

Jo Jo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 10:51:19 AM »

Basically, they work just like pirate bases, but slightly altered in one way or the other.

Sleeper cells are idle. As far as I remember, they can cause stability drop in a select colony on occasion, but nothing you can do about it.

Both disturbed or active cells you can fight (unlike pirates, that you can only fight once they're active) on their home turf, which obviously means station busting. An active cell, if left unchecked, can quickly cut into your stability and profit margins. Same way as with pirates, asking around the bar on one of your colonies guarantees to give you the info on the system the enemy is located in (unlike pirates, it costs you some pocker change now). Disruption lasts a year by default, but it may also cause the cell to go "sleeper" mode, which, IIRC, randomizes the timer in either direction.

As with pirates, having your colonies in one system drastically reduces the amount of babysitting you'll have to do yearly. However, having 11 planets in a single system myself, I have to do the disruption on two yearly timers, and not one - I'm not sure if it's intentional or not.

Thank you! Oh my goodness, two timers is quite a bit of "watching." :) Thanks for the info. I couldn't help myself and I did end up staying up last night to take out the base. It was a bit of a let down as only a "one star" danger potential. Good lesson for me, though.

Jo Jo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 10:52:47 AM »

See, what you're looking for are mods. There's a modded industry in Terraforming and Station Construction that can remove Pather Cells if given an alpha AI(CHAMELEON). It's usually reserved for colonies that inevitably pass the Pather Interest threshold due to the nature of necessary industries. But otherwise, I try to keep low and from attracting their attention in the first place.

How fascinating! I'm looking forward to my foray into the world of mods once I finish the vanilla and have a better understanding of the game mechanics. Thanks again for the tip!

Jo Jo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 11:01:20 AM »

Pather Cells can be ignored a long as you have the money to restabilize the colony after their actions.
you can quickly identify their bases by investing 10000Cr, just go to a bar of an affected colony any pay a corrupted Pather for the info.
Pather Bases tend to be stronger than Pirate Bases, so bring some Capitals or many Cruisers.

Another fantastic tip! So glad to see the game has progressed in a positive direction and that the developer listens to the veterans in the community. Thanks for the tip on the base as well. I did take it out, and I found three or four fleets guarding a one-star base. The fleets themselves were two and three stars and they grouped together so I had to fight a couple of them at once. I even lost a couple of destroyers in the fights. Maybe this was a small base due to the size of my colony (now 4)?

The game told me what system to visit, but it was still quite hard to locate the base. I flew around hitting "3" every time I flew far enough to have all new planets and such on my little screen in the bottom right corner, which appears to be the range of the sensor pulse. It's good to know that the Pather bases don't have to be around planets, and can be anywhere in the system. Good stuff and nice improvements over the 2018 form postings and complaints. :)