Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: give basically every ship that isnt exclusively a warship a s-variant  (Read 752 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile

no-gun venture with built-in hammers, "evidence of a better time".

a civilian vigilance that bucks the trend of s-mod ships in that it is a flat upgrade (outside of combat); its ship system is downgraded to flares & it gets a tac beam built-in but it gets advanced ground support package built-in, representing the ship's capacity to A) casually operate in atmosphere, 2) deliver persistent fire support to ground operations from long range with its beam and C) its ability to deliver heavy ordinance at close range, and built-in surveying equipment representing its suitability for samples-collection operations both in using its dedicated tac laser to perform distant spectrometer readings and in using its medium missile mount to smash gigantic holes in the ground to take spectrometer readings of sub-surface deposits. Sure a Paragon could do those things too but a Vigilance doesn't need 3 offices of mathematicians to calculate the maneuvers needed to get it in position of the asteroid they want to study.
a non-smuggler cerberus that loses its guns and shielded cargo hullmod. a no-gun brawler with built-in burn speed & no-shields hullmods, "Once a common sight; an aspirational statement now only found in ship graveyards."

a tritach fleet called "corporate headquarters" or something that inspires the image of the ultra-rich living in luxury completely physically seperate from the mere existance of poverty, of 1 civilian paragon & nothing else that permanently orbits eochu bres. literally name the ship "Elysium".
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: give basically every ship that isnt exclusively a warship a s-variant
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 11:33:43 PM »

give basically every ship that isnt exclusively a warship a s-variant

civilian paragon

sounds like a contradiction to me when the in-game description for the Paragon is "Elite Battleship"

just say you want more civilian grade ships....

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 12:01:58 AM »

there was a "basically" before the "warship". there were also a lot of words in between them but thanks to how ambiguous the english language is it still counts lol
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 08:00:54 AM »

S stands for "stock". As it happens, civilian to military conversions are rather rare (Kite, Mudskipper Mk II, Colossuses Mk II and Mk III, Atlas Mk II, Prometheus Mk II) and all other ships were military or civilian right from the start. The reason why custom Kite is just "Kite" and the original is "Kite (S)", unlike every other case (where e.g. the original Onslaught is just "Onslaught", while XIV Battlegroup's Onslaught is "Onslaught (XIV)) is that the original is the less common one, instead of the custom.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 09:30:12 AM »

I thought this was asking for more ships or variants with s-mods, not more (S) ships like Kite-S.

I do not want more S ships.  The problem is they bloat the blueprint pool.  More crap from stations, more raids to catch-'em-all, more useless visits to flashy man and/or historian (who might as well be Wirt or Gheed in the sector) because they are more likely to offer junk instead of stuff you care about.

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 12:27:16 AM »

Only thing I can think of is a Odyssee that trades the large weapon mounts for increased Carrier capabilities ?

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 09:39:29 AM »

more raids to catch-'em-all

feature not a bug

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 10:33:16 AM »

Raiding for lots of junk nobody cares about is not a feature, except maybe for online games that purposefully add scrappy game mechanics for their money-making schemes.