Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Owning a business/dedicated industry space station  (Read 704 times)

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
Owning a business/dedicated industry space station
« on: September 06, 2021, 03:09:16 AM »

how come we don't have the ability to establish a business ?

I wanna do the whole "from rags to riches" bit tri-tachyon has going on

think of thoses space station like a "lite" version of a colony

less money costs/returns
only two industries max
thoses industries count towards the needs/production of the whole system they are in

think of it as a early game goal to get the economic ball rolling as well as an introduction to the whole colony management thing...
Can also be used as a closet to store away ships, weapons and ressources somewhere safe

JAL28

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Owning a business/dedicated industry space station
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 06:18:33 AM »

I won’t lie this sounds like a fusion of Nexerelin’s outposts and TASC’s stations

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 02:41:04 PM »

actually i think that could be worked out to a compelling game(/sub-game) since the game already tracks market share & supply/demand the way it does you could build a whole playthru around micro-managing the minutia of a single industry. I mean, thats basically what players already do when they set up a fuel industry then go to war with Sindria to knock them out of the monopoly. But putting it that way, i cant imagine a way to change the game to encourage or focus that more than it already does without just removing colonies.
... maybe make establishing/building up a colony past the 1 industry point cost way, way more, then give the player the ability to buy out, sponsor or franchise an industry on someone else's colony assuming the player is friendly towards them (or neutral for pirates/independants)?
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 05:36:39 PM »

I'd honestly want a mini-station option, basically a small port that only has 1 industry (mining probably), doesn't need a governor but only a limited number can be built in certain places to avoid abuse (like one around a gas giant to mine volatiles without needing to colonize it, or one per asteroid belt). The mod 'Terraforming and Station Construction' has something like it already, but I think they do a little too much, they're still more "colony in their own right" than a simple mining station.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 09:16:54 PM »

I'd honestly want a mini-station option, basically a small port that only has 1 industry (mining probably), doesn't need a governor but only a limited number can be built in certain places to avoid abuse (like one around a gas giant to mine volatiles without needing to colonize it, or one per asteroid belt). The mod 'Terraforming and Station Construction' has something like it already, but I think they do a little too much, they're still more "colony in their own right" than a simple mining station.

so basically ur looking for the ability to build individual industries, outside of colonies.
which, I like a lot. I always wanted to be able to find hidden tech mining facilities operated by other factions or a hidden population & infrastructure for refugees fled from the core living on that planet or a hidden farming industry of luddic pathers whose yeoman farmer (basically medieval) lifestyle makes them invisible to passing ships short of a survey, or a waystation (I know thats already in a mod) station with a single heavy industry industry as well as a passive demand for fuel so it can stockpile guns ships supplies & fuel for passing fleets to buy off of it without needing to rely on planets' unreliable stocks with no pesky defensive fleets to dissuade potential customers away from buying there just bc of petty matters like "being an enemy". Or a hidden commerce industry set to freeport that sells all kinds of random, high quality goods with a substantial tariff/markup

i mean, the hidden pirate base mechanic is basically this for the military base industry

edit: OH AND, this but with some (nonplayer) colonies having hidden industries would pair really well with lore stuff like tritach's hidden AI & techmining facilities or Nomios having a hidden commerce industry (paired with its cryfacility that produces organs), or the pirate colony in Sindria having a hidden military base to go along with it being unofficially allied with that system's revolutionary faction
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 09:22:24 PM by Deshara »
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 05:05:32 AM »

... so basically ur looking for the ability to build individual industries, outside of colonies.
which, I like a lot. I always wanted to be able to find hidden tech mining facilities operated by other factions or a hidden population & infrastructure for refugees fled from the core living on that planet or a hidden farming industry of luddic pathers whose yeoman farmer (basically medieval) lifestyle makes them invisible to passing ships short of a survey, or a waystation (I know thats already in a mod) station with a single heavy industry industry as well as a passive demand for fuel so it can stockpile guns ships supplies & fuel for passing fleets to buy off of it without needing to rely on planets' unreliable stocks with no pesky defensive fleets to dissuade potential customers away from buying there just bc of petty matters like "being an enemy". Or a hidden commerce industry set to freeport that sells all kinds of random, high quality goods with a substantial tariff/markup

i mean, the hidden pirate base mechanic is basically this for the military base industry

edit: OH AND, this but with some (nonplayer) colonies having hidden industries would pair really well with lore stuff like tritach's hidden AI & techmining facilities or Nomios having a hidden commerce industry (paired with its cryfacility that produces organs), or the pirate colony in Sindria having a hidden military base to go along with it being unofficially allied with that system's revolutionary faction
In a manner of speaking, yes.

I view those large-scale station colonies as holdovers from the Domain era, the player shouldn't really be able to build them on that scale. Especially since they end up as 100% hazard colonies that are flat out better than most of the planets you can find, and why bother colonizing ground-side when you can just make a huge space station that does the same thing but better?

As for the station commanders, you could probably just make them equivalent to Gamma Cores (just without the chance of ticking off the Hegemony) for simplicity.

Now there would need to be some limiting factors to how many you can have in total so you can't just spawn them everywhere, such as geographically (only built in systems you've claimed and around the resource for mining bases, military ones could be built elswhere but don't claim the system, etc) and management (perhaps you can only own twice as many as the maximum amount of Administrators you can own in total).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 08:36:56 AM by Oni »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 06:47:55 AM »

Building a space station could be yet another "megaproject".

Currently, the only megaproject the player can do is revive the hypershunts, which was a total letdown and waste of time.

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 09:59:55 AM »

Building a space station could be yet another "megaproject".

Currently, the only megaproject the player can do is revive the hypershunts, which was a total letdown and waste of time.

all this talk of mega-project is reminding me of titans/Starbases in sins of a solar empire and lets just say thats something you DON'T wanna see

the alternative being the systemship from Stellaris wich is even more bullsh*t

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 10:29:55 AM »

+1
I hope full planet colonies will be pushed to a later game thing that requires much more investment and the ability to create a smaller business can take its place in the earlier parts of a playthrough. Could even be just buying a dock and establishing a business on an existing colony that you're not hostile to.
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$