Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: drastically reduce the crew, cargo & fuel capacity of most ships  (Read 972 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
drastically reduce the crew, cargo & fuel capacity of most ships
« on: September 06, 2021, 03:02:08 AM »

make fleets require logistical support for long-term operation, even in the core, by making combat ships no longer function as light freighters & troop transports & tankers. A fleet of enforcers shouldn't be able to cross the stars on their own.

Every ship that isn't a freighter/transport/tanker gets a hullmod that reduces their crew, cargo and/or fuel capacity by 70/50/0/80%, every ship that isn't a cruiser gets an additional hullmod that reduces their c/c/f by a flat 20% additively with the previous malus (all military battleships get -100% logistics), and then any ship that isn't a civilian ship then gets the resulting logitical profile cut in half. The logistical hullmods that increase one of those stats gets the additional affect of negating that stat reductions for that hullmod's stat -- so your enforcer can carry enough fuel to go places, but it costs OP & a logistics slot to do it & will need another ship to house its crew or give up its second logistics slot to do it.

The reason cruisers dont get the debuff is that, well -- its in the name. Frigates & destroyers get it bc they're too small to house both battle armaments and a broad suite of logistical infrastructure, and battleships are large enough to house a broad suite of logistical infrastructure but use all of that space to house guns & armor instead. A cruiser, then, definitionally, is a ship large enough to house the logistical infrastructure to operate self-sufficiently and chooses that over battleship armament
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: drastically reduce the crew, cargo & fuel capacity of most ships
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 06:46:08 AM »

But why? What purpose does this serve besides making you take more logistics ships? I've never relied on the fuel/cargo capacity of warships outside of the earliest of early game. A single Buffalo or Dram doubles or triples your cargo/fuel haul so why wouldn't you take one?

This feels pretty un-fun to me.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 06:52:22 AM »

I've read the suggestion 3 times and don't understand what's the benefit of it. Seems just like an annoying change for the sake of changes, current system is fine. It's not like you can go salvage and explore all around in your small cozy Wolf or a Hammerhead.
Please don't take me too seriously.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 09:32:46 AM »

It is already necessary to use logistic ships. I don't think increasing how many logistic ships we use is going to improve the gameplay.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 10:40:16 AM »

Most warships already have low capacities.  And freighters/tankers are already necessary if player plans to chain-battle and loot wreckage and/or plunder fringe pirate bases for thousands of supplies, drugs, and fuel.  I already dedicate several slots to logistics ships.

I doubt anyone wants to dedicate most of their fleet to Atlases.  We sort of had that nonsense (caused by enemy dropping way too many supplies that player needs to take to feed his insatiably hungry ships) during early 0.6 releases.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 02:25:28 PM »

But why?

bc it amused me for 5 minutes to think abt it
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 09:27:32 AM »

I mean, that's what the Suggestions board of every game's forum is for, fanfiction that we pretend is feedback. Anything that isn't fanfiction belongs in the feedback board. That's why (most) devs don't read any suggestions unless it "goes viral" (insomuch as anything on a forum can Go Viral in 2021. whole tens of comments lmfao). Lord knows I didn't when my games blew up so much that (oh my god I just checked) there's still people streaming them on twitch more than a decade later. Seriously, go check how many posts in Suggestions alex has commented on, how many sub-2 pages posts in General alex has commented on & how many posts in general or suggestions that gets near or over 10 pages of comments alex commented on.

I'm very open about the fact that I only post suggestions bc playing the game inspires my passion for game design enough to write about it but not enough to get me to mod the game but everybody else is doing it for the same reason even if they don't want to admit it. Sometimes people get mad about it or take it as an admission of trolling or shitposting that gets u ban warnings not talking about here, but I'm just being honest. Any post that could start with "it would be cool if" is fanfiction, just for game mechanics instead of lore.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 09:37:48 AM by Deshara »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 10:15:33 AM »

I mean, that's what the Suggestions board of every game's forum is for, fanfiction that we pretend is feedback.
Do you know what do we call stuff made up for laughs? A joke.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2021, 11:32:36 AM »

it isnt for laughs tho

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2021, 06:01:13 PM »

u dont call things u do for ur own amusement jokes lol "im gonna take this box of tissues into the bedroom and tell myself some jokes"

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2021, 07:34:59 PM »

Maybe you like to make low quality annoying posts, but some of us actually post things in Suggestions only if we think it would make the game better if implemented.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2021, 12:31:23 AM »

thats the exception