Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: More distinction for Pirate hulls  (Read 761 times)

Alliostra

• Ensign
    • View Profile
More distinction for Pirate hulls
« on: September 06, 2021, 11:18:56 AM »

Right now, most of the pirate ship versions are essentially just worse versions of the standard hulls. While this may be compatible with the lore with them being hacked and all, it also creates a large group of ships that lack any use when compared to their regular counterparts.
I suggest giving all pirate ships varying modifications similar to those the LP ship hulls get, ones that overall aren't really worth the downsides that they come with, but which still allow the ship to at least perform decently in a niche (like LP ships perform in having the highest damage output there is for about 20 seconds :D )

The nature of a ship could be completely changed similar to how it's changed in the pirate falcon. What if the pirate afflictor actually had no phase coil at all but heavier armor so it's allies can enjoy the entropy amplification for as long as possible? Or the pirate kite's jets could be replaced with a burn drive, and it's armor and mass would be increased heavily (ramming maneuver!). How about a pirate wolf that can mount missiles in it's small energy slot in exchange for the worse skimmer, 2 energy slots less and having less OP?
Or it could just be small, generally unfavorable tradeoffs that would still add a bit more character to the ship, like a pirate hound that's been modified for racing (fleeing) so it's faster but also loses a lot of armor and flux dissipation, or a pirate mule that actually has more OP than the standard variant but much worse shields and flux stats (non-essential components have been removed to add more shielded cargo space)

Another Idea regarding Pirate hulls I had is that pirate fleets should occasionally have weapons and ships that are not known by their faction, It seems weird that pirates only stick to using the same types of ships and weapons when they're all about, you know, plundering. These should by no means be common, and should always come with D-mods (since they've been blown up previously) so you can't farm pirate fleets for rare hulls with few d-mods.

And speaking of LP hulls, I think the ill-advised modifications should not be removable through restoration, as that just nets you inbuilt SO, at a heavy cost, sure, but it's still a huge improvement over pretty

What do you think about this? I'd love to hear your ideas for a few pirate ships variants   ;)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: More distinction for Pirate hulls
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 01:11:28 PM »

You'll be happy to hear (as was I) that in the next updates pirates will get Eradicator(P) which has Burn drive instead of Accelerated ammo feeder, but will cost less, which is a pretty cool switch to enable a totally different playstyle. Thank god we won't have to fight a billion Ventures in each bounty.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 02:43:56 PM »

Any new weapons pirates get should make them feel more like Age of Sail ships.

Pirates could get a Conquest (P) because it feels like an Age of Sail ship once it has Hellbores and Arbalests mounts on it.
Features for an Age of Sail Conquest (P):
* Pirate skin
* Hybrid or ballistic small mounts.
* Built-in Hellbores in all large mounts on broadsides.  Heavy Ballistics Integration removed (because they are all builtin Hellbores).
* System is Accelerated Ammo Feeder (instead of Jets) to make those Hellbores shoot more cannonballs at the enemy.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 09:42:59 PM »

I would be happy with inferior pirate ships (wolf, shade, afflictor) just costing less DP. A wolf with no PD for 4 dp instead of 5 seems fair to me.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 07:27:07 AM »

I would be happy with inferior pirate ships (wolf, shade, afflictor) just costing less DP. A wolf with no PD for 4 dp instead of 5 seems fair to me.
Especially since Falcon-P will cost 20, which is bonkers.

Alex needs to decide what role pirates will fill, either inferior faction, or variant difficult-but-awesome low tech.  At first, it seemed to go toward inferior, but his later pirate ships have moved more and more toward equal (or better) but different.

For Wolf, I like to see it get the Shrike-P treatment (middle small mount becomes hybrid).

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 08:02:19 AM »

It might happen, now that skins can have DP different to the original.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 08:30:57 PM »

Plenty of room for more (P) ships. I'd like to see a Fury (P) and a Venture (P) that has a modular fighter bay.

I think Colossus Mk. III should have 3 fighter bays, otherwise it's just a weirdly inferior Condor. Quantity over quality, right?

The Enforcer (P) could be another ship to turn into a missile platform. In fact it could become THE dedicated missile platform with 3 medium missiles (and the 4 smalls converted to ballistics for funsies) and Fast Missile Racks instead of Burn Drive. I feel like that fits better than making the Falcon (P) a missile ship: IMO a missile platform should be slower than the base ship (hence Enforcer missile platform losing burn drive), not faster. Falcon (P) feels it should be a conventional close range brawler.

A Hammerhead (P)... could get the Eradicator treatment and get Burn Drive or Maneuvering Jets instead of AAF I suppose. Or it could just be a paintjob, but we're trying to make distinct P variants here.

The frigates are harder to find meaningful variations for. Wolf (P) is obvious as Megas says. We're missing a Lasher (P) which would just be a paintjob (losing AAF for Lasher would make it too weak probably).

As an aside, the Hound (LP) should get AAF like Cerberus (LP) and Brawler (LP) does.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 09:09:16 PM by Embolism »

Pratapon51

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 12:55:22 AM »

All Composite Lasher (P).  8) 8)

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 08:05:10 PM »

If anything, pirates should get a not so guided EMP missile and maybe like a junk cannon... and I guess a preference for low tech, once all the new low tech stuff Alex has teased gets added.  Alternatively, equally cool if pirates split into a high-tech sub-faction and a low-tech subfaction, high tech get EMP missile and low tech gets junk cannon.
I wasn't always a Judge...