Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Killing Pirate Bases  (Read 3845 times)

Jo Jo

• Commander
    • View Profile
Killing Pirate Bases
« on: September 04, 2021, 09:46:19 AM »

I'm a little confused because the same action appears to offer a different result depending on location.

I received a "Destroy Pirate Base" mission that took me far out to the peripheral systems, where I found a pirate starbase orbiting a small pirate colony. I was unsure how to destroy a pirate base and I couldn't locate any YT videos showing how to do it, so I Googled quite a bit and read something about having to destroy all the infrastructure, though that was for an earlier version of the game. Looked to me like my options were what I was expecting - raid, attack the starbase, or disrupt. I chose to attack the starbase, since it seemed logical to have to take out orbital defenses prior to a ground assault and to my surprise killing the starbase caused the entire pirate base to disappear.

I just watched this episode at this time mark where Fen Muir took out the starbase of a pirate base in the core systems and the base did not disappear. He is attacking the pirate base (Lost Astropolis) just north of Mairaath in the Persian League sector - vanilla. You can see him first raid the pirate base and then take out the starbase by assisting an ongoing attack. The raid does decrease the stability of the colony, but the loss of the starbase? Well, the base was there when he flew away. Why does destroying the starbase in one colony far away from the core worlds result in the entire base disappearing while the same action in the core worlds results in a pirate base with assumed decreased stability and maybe lacking a starbase until another one is built?

https://youtu.be/2SueuilWbHo?list=PLDjE6j_BlALgg6qIFYopsKgnRLgmluxfx&t=1062

Edit: At this time stamp you can see the pirate base's tooltip indicates, "Undergoing repairs."
https://youtu.be/2SueuilWbHo?list=PLDjE6j_BlALgg6qIFYopsKgnRLgmluxfx&t=1362
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 09:48:27 AM by Jo Jo »

Alliostra

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Killing Pirate Bases
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2021, 09:55:54 AM »

The stations located in the core worlds can't be destroyed, otherwise they'd all be gone very quickly due to warring factions and pirate raids destroying them. Randomly-generated pirate and pather bases outside the core worlds, however, can be destroyed completely, and after some time they'll build a new base somewhere else.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 10:02:38 AM »

Core world pirate and pather colonies function differently to pirate and pather just-space-station bases. Core world colonies work like other factions' colonies, meaning you have to satbomb them into oblivion or decivilise them over time to get rid of them (and they also participate in the economy), while bases can be destroyed by destroying the station.

Jo Jo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 10:35:44 AM »

Ahh. Thank you both very much! Good to know the pirate bases in the periphery will respawn, and very interesting to see the game protecting the economy in the core worlds. :)

JAL28

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 09:18:54 PM »

Though it sucks because those bases will be a supreme pain in the rear when you start up the colony business.

Jo Jo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 08:53:01 AM »

Though it sucks because those bases will be a supreme pain in the rear when you start up the colony business.

Thanks for the warning. ;)

Flying Dice

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 03:42:46 PM »

Ahh. Thank you both very much! Good to know the pirate bases in the periphery will respawn, and very interesting to see the game protecting the economy in the core worlds. :)
It's definitely necessary. If you play with Nex you'll very quickly notice that the sector gets into a downward spiral when every faction has ample opportunity to decivilize core worlds. I've had campaigns where me founding and gifting colonies is the only way to keep the economy running.

Jo Jo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2021, 08:39:32 PM »

It's definitely necessary. If you play with Nex you'll very quickly notice that the sector gets into a downward spiral when every faction has ample opportunity to decivilize core worlds. I've had campaigns where me founding and gifting colonies is the only way to keep the economy running.

Wow. The mod world is so diverse and looks like they (mods) can literally change the game. Thanks for the heads up!