Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mercenary -- "on standby until used"  (Read 388 times)

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Mercenary -- "on standby until used"
« on: September 03, 2021, 12:05:23 AM »

I'll be honest, I haven't bothered using mercenaries myself, because the default number of officers (8) has been sufficient for me.

However, I see a number of complaints on the forum about how it's difficult to get a group of mercenaries going, since it takes a while to go around the core worlds and collect them. Then you're running into a situation where the older ones are about to expire while you're trying to fill up with mercenaries.

How about changing the system so that the 365-day timer doesn't start until the mercenary is actually assigned to a ship? So you can fill up with mercenary contracts, sitting there unused, until you've gotten all that you want, then activate them together when you're heading out with your exploration/death fleet, so you can use them up all together.

I guess if it's needed to prevent players from hoarding too many, you can make it so that the contract needs to be activated within 90 days (or whatever amount) of purchasing, or that, similar to admins, mercenaries only charge 10% (or whatever percentage) of their pay while they're on standby, and then charge the full amount once they're assigned to a ship. Being assigned to a ship effectively is when they start their 365-day contract.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Mercenary -- "on standby until used"
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 11:50:34 AM »

While I don't entirely agree with your suggestion regarding adding a year-long timer to starting merc contracts, I do agree that this newly added system is definitely lacking... sophistication.  Like a lack of a concept of futures "contracts" included in the system seems an oversight.  By futures contract, I'm referring to a player's ability to basically pay a premium for a merc to most likely still remain available as of some later date, but sometimes they aren't.

So you can either drag the merc around now and pay full freight while always attached to a ship, but if you pay the premium, you can mostly guarantee a merc's later availability (either by blocks of months, like next 6 or 12 or 24, or up through a specific date).  However, the premium cost to guarantee almost certain availability goes up over time, while simultaneously the likelihood of the merc not being available ALSO rises.  So basically the percent rate of the merc cutting and running with the contract monies increases with the length of the contract's time.  Thus, if you want to make sure you can still hire a merc for the next 6 months, there is a reasonable cost of like 65,000 to "guarantee" availability for hiring (and still pay full contract cost upon hiring), but like a 7% chance the merc will welch on the contract.  Conversely, it would cost 500,000 to "guarantee" a mere's availability for up to 24 months, with a whopping 28% chance the merc will renege.

Plus, this would add the story option of later fighting the same merc who welched on the contract and are instead protecting someone else (extra story points if the merc is attached to a pirate fleet you are hunting, although this might require factionalizing the merc system so that mercs from pirate ports are more likely to be attached to pirate fleets while regular mercs mostly instead are attached to merchant fleets, or maybe even took a commission?).  Would also be cool of merc's could also be commissioned, so that sometimes if you hire a merc and attack the faction the merc is commissioned for, they either refuse to fight or maybe even fight in space battle against you...

Finally, you can also pay more cash to make the merc available to be summoned to start their contract so long as you have enough cash to settle normal contract length cost when summoning (maybe within some set range of the merc's "home" planet), otherwise you have to still fly all the way to the merc's home planet to pick up the merc (and maybe waste some amount of time flying to merc's planet).  Alternatively, game could just also have an option for paying another premium to have merc fly to you (so it might only cost an additional 35,000 to have merc fly up to 10 light years to meet you, 135,000 for 50 light years, 250,000 for entire sector, or default market cost of fuel and supplies plus 25% but if there is a shortage of fuel or supplies on merc's "home" planet, you have to be able to pony up front way waaaay more cash).

Edit: forgot to add paragraph about summoning merc clause in contract.

Edit #2:  Whoops!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 12:42:01 PM by slowpersun »
I wasn't always a Judge...