Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: My interpretation of the story so far (Spoiler)  (Read 509 times)

SteelHeart

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
My interpretation of the story so far (Spoiler)
« on: August 30, 2021, 03:59:21 PM »

Having completed the Galitan University story to unlock gate travel, I have a few theories about the gate network. My first one that I am very confident in is that the gate network is alive, my second, less confident one, is that the Domain was playing with alien tech.

As for 1, well the gates are described as having a heart beat once you get the Janus device. The first time you try and travel a gate in a non core system the failure is described as something screaming at you. I think that the gate network is alive somehow with my best guess that it woke up or got fed up when the gate network shut down. I don't think it likes being used.

For 2, well look at the designs for siphons, their guards, and the very redacted. Those bear some similarities to high-tech vessels, but they are undeniably alien about it. Its entirely possible that the gate network itself was alien in origin and the Domain stumbled upon them and claimed credit. Also, I believe that the siphons were likely a key in maintaining the gate network by providing the energy to keep it open. Those stations look alien and there is nothing else like them in the sector, save for the very redacted. I might hazard that these things were alien or built using alien tech, likely from the same people who built the gates. It would also explain the guards they have, those are things that I don't thing the Domain would have been happy to have on their siphons when a legion of ships built off the power of a star could have done fine. If the Domain did build the siphons, then they were somehow included in the schematics and no-one knew what the did.

Any way, that's my interpretation of the story.

Kos135

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: My interpretation of the story so far (Spoiler)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 05:55:46 PM »

If they do add aliens into Starsector, I hope they go the Elite Dangerous route instead of the Star Trek route. I prefer my aliens to actually be alien - creepy, bizarre, and incomprehensible. Not humans with weird looking foreheads.
You cannot trick an honest man, only a villain will fall for it.

Ramiel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 08:15:55 PM »

But I want my space cat-girls!

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 11:04:03 PM »

Starsector is one big Alastair Reynolds fanfiction story, of course the gates are alien technology appropriated by humanity without truly understanding how they work.