Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Large breach SRM  (Read 1607 times)

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
Large breach SRM
« on: August 29, 2021, 09:32:01 AM »

Anyone ?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Large breach SRM
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 10:47:05 AM »

Don't you happen to mean the Hurricane MIRV? It's already in the game.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 11:39:11 AM »

Hurricane and breach are very different weapons. Hurricane is a a finisher and breach is more pressure. I think the main characteristic of breach is high ammo/low damage, so locust is closer to being a large breach. I think a breach launcher with infinite or very high ammo and maybe larger burst size could be an interesting large missile.

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 11:51:03 AM »

Seem to remember Breach gets a +200% damage to armor, makes it REALLY handy for peeling off armor for energy weapons to do actual damage

Locust REQUIRES something to peel armor otherwise the frag damage ain't gonna do sh*t
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 11:52:35 AM by hydremajor »

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 12:26:01 PM »

I really don't feel like there's need for yet another HE large missile. I get that the role isn't exactly the same as options that we have now but that's fine, there's more important gaps to fill out than armour cracking for a large missile mount. Besides, Breaches imo are super not impactful, sure they have plenty of ammo but I feel like they don't do much. Missiles in general are very strong but very limited, this one feels like a gun with limited ammo. (And yeah I know Alex said they'll probably get a speed increase).

Now what's really weird to me is why is there only a small Atropos launcher. The only homing torpedo in the game only has a small version which the fighters get, and it's pretty close to Harpoons so why it even exists as it is is kinda peculiar. Small slots have a TON of choices but so few are worth actually using.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2021, 12:48:29 PM »

The main selling point of Breach is they last relatively long in a fight.  Not as long as Locusts, but close.  Breach are budget Locusts.

Locusts requiring stripped defenses mean little to AI that fires them as soon as target is sighted.  It also means little against small targets because the damage is so much they die anyway despite frag type.  A big target that takes the whole salvo at an unprotected, unarmored point will take a lot of damage.  Locusts are a general-purpose weapon good against almost anything, although they are best at killing frigates and weak destroyers.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 12:50:54 PM by Megas »

JAL28

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2021, 04:26:40 PM »

The only large mount Breach I know is the Fissure LRM, which is modded

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2021, 11:47:06 PM »

What vanilla ship would actually want large breach though? IIRC all ships with large missiles (except Gryphon) have other large slots or fighter bays, so they don't have a problem cracking heavy armor.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 06:35:13 AM »

What vanilla ship would actually want large breach though? IIRC all ships with large missiles (except Gryphon) have other large slots or fighter bays, so they don't have a problem cracking heavy armor.
Champion?

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2021, 06:37:14 AM »

Champion?
Bruh. HIL and Plasma Cannon say hi, not to mention in combination with HEF.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2021, 07:23:50 AM »

Just because a ship has the option to run good armor cracking weapons, doesn't mean it can't also run different loadouts that work well with a large breach. I think conquest would utilize it well as well.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2021, 08:13:20 AM »

I mean yeah you're right but in this case large energy weapons are almost purely anti armour, so the Champion is not the best example. Conquest on the other hand is interesting, more homing missiles is always nice for it. But don't get me wrong, I 100% wouldn't mind a large Breach missile. It's just that I've seen Alex say so many times that he doesn't want to fill every single mount size with every single role, that way of thinking is basically drilled into my head by now, can't help it.

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2021, 08:39:02 AM »

Y'all know you could just slap that on a Apogee right ?

why did everyone assume I wanted to put that on a capital ?

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2021, 08:40:17 AM »

Large breaches on Conquest would only really benefit the double gauss laming build. And that's arguably the kind of stuff the game shouldn't have to begin with. But yeah, that's one use case I guess.

Most certainly disagree on the champion though. It would have to be some kind of paladin + double medium kinetics + 4 tac lasers build, and that's clearly worse than alternatives we have now.

Apogee is 100% made for the plasma cannon, so breaches are unnecessary.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2021, 09:26:25 AM »

What is the range of Breach?  1200 or 1500?  If so, that is not enough for Gauss Conquest.  The only large missile with enough range to pair with Gauss Cannons are Hurricane MIRVs.
Pages: [1] 2