Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bounty Hunting Questions  (Read 1241 times)

Jo Jo

• Commander
    • View Profile
Bounty Hunting Questions
« on: August 24, 2021, 06:03:20 PM »

I accepted the Derelict Artifact Recovery mission from the Galatia Academy Station and I flew out there thinking this was a "find a ship and salvage it", but when I got there the small-scale momentum decoupling device had already been salvaged and I was faced with what I recall as quite a large force. I left it there orbiting the gate and then learned it would stay there until I came back with a larger force, which I have been working to build. I'm thinking I will need at least a couple cruisers to take it on. I currently have 13 ships and I'm looking to make more money to buy fuel and supplies for the journey while increasing my fleet as possible.

1 - Apogee-Class Balanced Cruiser that came with the starting fleet - CL
1 - Sunder Class - DD
2 - Hammerhead - DD
2 - Enforcer (P) - DD
2 - Shrike (P) light attack - DD
2 - Condor Class light attack CV
1 - Afllictor (P) Phase Strike frigate
2 - Wolf frigates

What kind of fleet would I need to take on the salvaging fleet orbiting the gate?

There are a few bounty missions open. One of them is Pirate Base - exact location unknown - for $50k. I've never taken on a base before and I'm not sure if this is a mission my fleet could handle. Should I bring marines, too? Is this a straightforward kill the base mission with possibly a defending fleet, too?

There's a personal bounty worth $89k that has one cruiser and I believe my fleet could take that fleet down easily. I also happened on an agent, though I can't recall where I found them. This agent gave me a nice $175k bounty mission that my considerably smaller fleet (minus the sunder, two shrike DD, and one hammerhead) took out without losing any ships. That makes me think I should be visiting more space station bars or lounges and speaking with the two contacts that show up in each place. Should I also be speaking with the staff on the coms channel? Tips? Thanks!

Kos135

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bounty Hunting Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 06:54:03 PM »

If you can't take on that "large force" then I recommend taking on the personal bounty. Even a weak starbase would probably give your fleet a lot of trouble, especially if they have a fleet to reinforce them.

The most profitable thing to do when starting out is exploration. Surveying planets, looting and salvaging research stations, etc. You don't need a huge fleet for it either. An Apogee or two, a couple Salvage Rigs, and a few fuel tankers and cargo haulers. Just make sure you take the "Navigation" skill from the Technology tree and take ships with 9+ burn speed, so you can reach the maximum burn speed of 20. Exploration involves a lot of traveling so you'll want to be as quick as possible. Sub-burn speeds aren't as important, you don't have to worry about reaching 10+ with them.

Not only is exploration profitable and low risk in the short term, it also sets you up for colonization and founding your own empire in the long term. I recommend exploring the entire map. It's grindy, but it gives you survey data on every planet and shows you the optimal region for founding your own empire. It also sets you up with a lot of blueprints, which you will need to produce your own faction fleets and equip them with weapons and fighters.
You cannot trick an honest man, only a villain will fall for it.

Jo Jo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 10:16:22 PM »

If you can't take on that "large force" then I recommend taking on the personal bounty. Even a weak starbase would probably give your fleet a lot of trouble, especially if they have a fleet to reinforce them.

The most profitable thing to do when starting out is exploration. Surveying planets, looting and salvaging research stations, etc. You don't need a huge fleet for it either. An Apogee or two, a couple Salvage Rigs, and a few fuel tankers and cargo haulers. Just make sure you take the "Navigation" skill from the Technology tree and take ships with 9+ burn speed, so you can reach the maximum burn speed of 20. Exploration involves a lot of traveling so you'll want to be as quick as possible. Sub-burn speeds aren't as important, you don't have to worry about reaching 10+ with them.

Not only is exploration profitable and low risk in the short term, it also sets you up for colonization and founding your own empire in the long term. I recommend exploring the entire map. It's grindy, but it gives you survey data on every planet and shows you the optimal region for founding your own empire. It also sets you up with a lot of blueprints, which you will need to produce your own faction fleets and equip them with weapons and fighters.

Great advice! I'll give that a try with a smaller fleet when I have a chance to play again. BTW, since I posted this I ran into four pirate fleets camping a jump gate and I ended up with about 40 ships total, including quite a few cruisers. It's going to take me a while to fit them, then I'm going after that four star dangerous fleet that is very far away. After I get that taken care of, I will run a few more easy missions for the Academy, which appear to be quite profitable, and some of them involve traveling to explore places. Seems there's a little combat involved in those missions, at least that's my assumption. The cargo ships I have available now have a burn speed of 7 + 1 from the skill. I've been able to get away from all but the military fast pickets. So much to learn in this game!

JAL28

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 10:40:29 PM »

If it’s those scavengers, you can literally buy the item off them for a ridiculously cheap price(if you’ve been saving money of course)

Jo Jo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 07:43:36 AM »

If it’s those scavengers, you can literally buy the item off them for a ridiculously cheap price(if you’ve been saving money of course)
Yes, it's the scavengers. How funny! I had no idea some of the NPC fleets would actually speak with you in a meaningful manner. Every time I try to speak with some fleet I've met in space, it's a waste of time. Thanks for the info!

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 07:49:06 AM »

Yes, it's the scavengers. How funny! I had no idea some of the NPC fleets would actually speak with you in a meaningful manner. Every time I try to speak with some fleet I've met in space, it's a waste of time. Thanks for the info!
Story fleets are basically the only ones that offer any interactions besides fighting, so I'm not surprised you didn't think this was possible. Take notice, Alex...

Jo Jo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 11:28:50 AM »

Story fleets are basically the only ones that offer any interactions besides fighting, so I'm not surprised you didn't think this was possible. Take notice, Alex...
LOL! I'm new around here, though I'm guessing Alex is the developer. :) Yes, scientifically we knock our heads against a wall a few times before we believe doing so against all walls will result in the same outcome. Lots of studies about this behavior. Maybe in future iterations the storyline "use one point" option is in the dialog box under opens comms during a fleet encounter (two bubbles touch and you either fight, run, or use a story point to get away). That would "train" players to attempt to speak to NPC's. Good luck! Love the game.