Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: question about trading  (Read 2165 times)

Kanjejou

• Commander
    • View Profile
question about trading
« on: August 18, 2021, 02:32:50 PM »

So since i have 4(P) mules and 2 Colosus i sometime do some trading, and i get very dissapointed by both system.

Basic trading its very hard to make profitable and only work if you get above the 30% extra price when buying and the 30% cut when selling. Also take into account fuel and supplies. Which can get pretty harsh...

If trading illegal stuff you need shielded cargo and also normal cargo to hide it, thus you need a normal ressource to hide the illegal one, which is an interesting mecanism but even if they find nothing its not uncommon for the people to still remove relation with you even if they find nothing... If I get caught i understand i lose standing and maybe get bribed or damaged...

Zlso i don't know what make space police investoigate your fleet cargo.... sometime i buy 2k drugs and nothing sometime i dont even have illegal stuff and still get transcalled...

Another problem that happen way too often is that places that have extra still sell above the basic price of the commoditie and some that are dying from lack of said commoditie buy below the basic price...
of course in hose condition nothing work...

the only ressources that suffer less fromt hose problem are the high price ones or illegal ones(since oyu dont pay the +30% -30% of the normal market)

To put it simply the system isnt very clear and sometime make no sense...

Jo Jo

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: question about trading
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 07:35:58 PM »

Hello. Judging from your question, English is not your native language. I don't know how well you understand spoken English, though if you do there are quite a few good YT videos on trade and smuggling.

Here's one that's a little older, though the Tuber speaks slowly and clearly and he explains things well.

This one is also a little older and would require a more advanced fleet than you have as well as some marines, but the strategy makes sense and it has a humorous presentation. 

This is a series I've been watching when I have a second. It is from 95a and has quite a bit of trading with some quite profitable trades at least in the initial episodes. I've learned quite a bit so far.

Good luck. YT also has subtitles and you can choose a slower play speed if it helps.

Phenir

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 09:16:30 PM »

Basic trading its very hard to make profitable and only work if you get above the 30% extra price when buying and the 30% cut when selling. Also take into account fuel and supplies. Which can get pretty harsh...
Open market trading is foolish if you aren't taking heavy advantage of markets that are experiencing disruptions. If you wanted, you could raid their starport to create that disruption. You also should be paying attention to the bar looking for trade deals. Often times there will be an offer to buy or sell goods at a decent price with no tax. Missions which hand you a large amount of goods to deliver somewhere will also create a surplus at the destination when you finish, creating an opportunity to buy back those goods and then sell them again for even more profit.

Zlso i don't know what make space police investoigate your fleet cargo.... sometime i buy 2k drugs and nothing sometime i dont even have illegal stuff and still get transcalled...
Each faction has their own list of illegal goods which you can see on the faction reputation menu. For example, Hegemony will not allow selling of heavy arms or drugs on open market (military will take them though) while Tri-tachyon is basically anything goes. However, if you buy anything on the black market, even if they are normally legal to buy, you could get scanned. If you mouse over the tab for black market, it will tell you your current suspicion level. You can reduce suspicion by buying stuff on the open market. It's just a guideline though. Even with the lowest suspicion level minimal you could still get a scan.

the only ressources that suffer less fromt hose problem are the high price ones or illegal ones(since oyu dont pay the +30% -30% of the normal market)
Usually you will want to focus on those high cost goods. There are situations where you can make a decent profit off low cost goods though. For example, if pirates are raiding Askonia, there is a good chance you can buy all the ore off one of their colonies and then drop it off on one of the planets in the same system, significantly reducing expenditures.

Hello. Judging from your question, English is not your native language.
The irony.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 10:44:23 PM »

Trading on the open market isn't really meant to work. You should always trade on the black market, since penalties for it are miniscule.

Nicelo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 01:44:47 AM »

Hello. Judging from your question, English is not your native language. I don't know how well you understand spoken English, though if you do there are quite a few good YT videos on trade and smuggling.

Here's one that's a little older, though the Tuber speaks slowly and clearly and he explains things well.

This one is also a little older and would require a more advanced fleet than you have as well as some marines, but the strategy makes sense and it has a humorous presentation. 

This is a series I've been watching when I have a second. It is from 95a and has quite a bit of trading with some quite profitable trades at least in the initial episodes. I've learned quite a bit so far.

Good luck. YT also has subtitles and you can choose a slower play speed if it helps.

Thank you for sharing this, I will give it a look
Hi

Kanjejou

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 09:57:28 AM »

thank you for your answer i will take a look at those video, still feel like the "honest" trading is a bit too harsh...
will try to get a lot of trader contact and see if it work...

Jo Jo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 05:14:37 PM »

Thank you for sharing this, I will give it a look
[/quote]

Good luck! I'm on episode 6 and he's still making lots of money trading. Just started his first colony. He speaks so quickly I have to use YT subtitles sometimes. ;)

FenMuir

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Fen Muir Youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2021, 08:11:51 AM »

WE
ARE
THE
INSURGENCY!

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2021, 09:26:40 AM »

thank you for your answer i will take a look at those video, still feel like the "honest" trading is a bit too harsh...
will try to get a lot of trader contact and see if it work...

Honest trading isn't supposed to be profitable. It's boring. It's predictable. But if it was profitable, people would still do it despite that.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2021, 09:55:36 AM »

Honest trading isn't supposed to be profitable. It's boring. It's predictable. But if it was profitable, people would still do it despite that.
Black Market trading is nearly indistinguishable from honest trade.  The only practical difference is Open/Military has tariffs and black market does not.  In other words, "It's boring. It's predictable."  It is also useful when player cannot defeat bounties without taking casualties because game assumes flawless victories for bounty rewards, which can only be relied on when player is overpowered and much stronger than the enemy target.

That said, Askonia has one lucrative (not so) honest trade in plain sight:  Volatiles from Umbra to Sindria.  Raid Umbra for as many Volatiles your fleet can hold, and sell them to Sindria.  Large profit despite tariffs.  (Sneaking into Sindria without a fight is hard, just go for the Open Market trade and be done with it.)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 09:59:05 AM by Megas »