Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Steam early access a possibility?  (Read 2563 times)

JamesBai03

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Steam early access a possibility?
« on: August 18, 2021, 02:14:04 AM »

Been following the games development for many years now, and have played several times each lasting some dozens of hours. I can see the game in its current stage still lacks key features even after 10 years of development (faction interaction, NPC interaction, game progression etc). I understand that the game is more of a passion project at this point now but that doesnt cover the fact the games still got huge potential (imo, on par with rimworld in terms of modability and replayability). Although it is currently a fairly niche game, its gameplay can easily appeal to a large playerbase.
Steam early access could inject some much needed capital, allowing the developer to outsource the visual aspect of things and focus on developing the game mechanics. The steam platform would also expose the game to a broader audience that would no doubt invigorate its modding community. Nonetheless, it all depends on where the developer wish to take the game to and this post is but a humble suggestion I have to the betterment of this game.

Ultonia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Steam early access a possibility?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 04:16:00 AM »

The FAQ states that putting it on Steam is a possibility but I think they should wait before then, because if it were to get savaged in the Steam reviews for perceived lack of content even in Early Access it is hard to recover that standing.

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 06:18:42 AM »

The FAQ states that putting it on Steam is a possibility but I think they should wait before then, because if it were to get savaged in the Steam reviews for perceived lack of content even in Early Access it is hard to recover that standing.

I doubt lack of content would be an issue. SS has more to offer than the vast majority of Early Access titles.
What would kill the ratings is the slow update cycle. Unless Alex wants to commit to a mini update at least once per month I don't see this ending well, no matter how much praise the game would receive initially.

Ultonia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 06:31:35 AM »

I doubt lack of content would be an issue. SS has more to offer than the vast majority of Early Access titles.

Oh no I agree with you hence why I said perceived. Honestly the game is great but people on Steam are notorious for not knowing what they want. Bannerlord Steam discussions and dev blog comments were filled with 'when release?!?!?' and when they finally did EA release it those same people complained it wasn't finished for example.

A Steam release would be cool but only when they feel it's ready :)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 06:31:56 AM »

itch.io and GOG are better options IMO.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 10:37:33 AM »

A possibility? Yes. A necessity? It doesn't seem like it, especially since Sseth's video caused quite a spike in sales (and even then, Alex lasted for years without getting any publisher). I really doubt Alex feels the need to get more money to spend on Starsector.

FenMuir

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Fen Muir Youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 11:04:16 PM »

Early Access is likely not a good idea since the Devs already have a way to monetize the game.
Once the game hits 1.0 or GOLD, then possibly throw it on steam.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2021, 01:58:19 AM »

Judging on how people are reacting to a 6 month+ wait for Valheim updates on steam, I'd say that it would do more harm than good to release there now. After the game is complete, or at least 1.0 with all the hotfixes and such? Sure. But not now. After all, you only get one shot at releasing on steam
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2021, 03:20:41 AM »

The thing is, releasing on steam won't magically print money like some kind of miracle

You have to follow through, get the modders from here on there to get some mods onto the steam workshop if only to point peoples towards this forum

Further a release on steam means all kinds of attention, and also probably not the kind you want to boot...

Not to mention there's the question of what happens to peoples who already bought it, do they get a free steam key ? do they not ?

And then questions like "whats in the future" will inevitably come, and *ssh*l*s begging and crying for multiplayer will come to litterally flood the place

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2021, 05:53:46 AM »

You have to follow through, get the modders from here on there to get some mods onto the steam workshop if only to point peoples towards this forum
lmao

Not to mention there's the question of what happens to peoples who already bought it, do they get a free steam key ? do they not ?
(Just to clarify, if/when the game gets on Steam, I'd try to make sure existing customers get Steam keys for it. Since that's something that requires Valve to go along with it - even though they've done this in the past - it's not something I can actually promise. So, for example, this wouldn't be something to base the purchasing decision on.)