Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: On the subject of torpedo balance.  (Read 2478 times)

Kanjejou

• Commander
    • View Profile
On the subject of torpedo balance.
« on: August 17, 2021, 07:24:38 PM »

So reaper torp are the super powerfull one
Atropos is the slow guided one
And Hammer are supposed to be the super cheap and spamable one, yet for its OP value you dont get even near the amount of damages of the other two... a single atropos or reaper will deal more by being super powerfull (reapper) or be super reliable(atropos). why don't hammer have more damages per OP in ammo but not in raw stats...

for exemple for 2OP a reaper deal 4k 2 hammer barely reach 3k and will often deal way less because of armor  a single atropo will do even less but is guided and thus is almost always garranted.

Let say im okayish with the inferior double or single hammer torpedo they fill the niche of being super cheap....

But if you compare the fact that there is no medium mount hammer launcher and that the hammer barrage is only 6 op cheaper than the cyclone reaper and both have 20 shots when the hammer still deal way less than reaper torpedos it get uglier.

Atropos is undercontrol because you can only get two per slot and they are as costly as reaper, but are super reliable since they are guided.

Reaper are super powerfull and even a single one hittign can spell doom to a lot of stuff even a shield blocked one will often overload a shield.

Hammer run out of ammo easily and are neither guide dnor powerfull...

I think every hammer should get an ammo buff, yes even the 1op one, simplyy give twice the ammo.
1op hammer get two salvo od one 2 op hammer get two salvo of 2 and the barrage get 40 shots, which is normal since its so innacurate.

Also harpon are alsop better finisher and breach srm are better anti armor finisher and sustained battle and they aren't even torpedo...

What do you think do you feel like the hammer torp are okay.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 07:26:36 PM by Kanjejou »

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: On the subject of torpedo balance.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 09:31:41 PM »

Atropos needs a range increase as well as ability to drop flares.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 09:43:31 PM »

Torpedoes are sort of garbage in general. Harpoons are superior in 99% of cases.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 10:39:06 PM »

I actually prefer Hammers to Reapers and Atroposes. Reapers only have one shot and are unreliable, while Atropos are expensive and don't hit that hard.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 07:35:15 AM »

Atropos is a Harpoon with slightly better durability and damage, but with much less range and bounces off targets at point blank.  They were nerfed badly so that Daggers would not be overpowered with them.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 10:05:49 AM »

For the small slots I prefer either Harpoons (for the range and guidance) or Reapers (for the damage) when it comes to HE missiles, but the difference is fairly minor: if I have to make do with either Hammers or Atropos, they still do the job ok (and despite their short range, Atropos have superior speed, guidance, and hitpoints compared to harpoons, so for a close in brawler they are better than harpoons, they just don't gang up as well).

But for the large slot, the Hammer Barrage is far more dangerous than the Cyclone Reaper while also being significantly cheaper. Hammer Barrages reload very quickly, so have more than double the damage output. The tradeoff is ammo: Hammer Barrages run out much faster.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 10:27:13 AM »

I think cyclone reaper is still better than hammer barrage. Torpedos are more about taking advantage of a short window of opportunity than continuous DPS. Hammer barrage can be annoying to deal with, but the ammo is so bad and the accuracy also means you usually avoid about half of the volley anyway.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2021, 09:57:32 AM »

Atropos may as well not exist because Harpoons are just better version of them (Harpoons should really be removed). Reapers are fanatastic and Hammers have niches but usually you're better off just taking a Reaper instead.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2021, 10:04:59 AM »

not all weapons are supposed to be competitively balanced. back when the game had no campaign maybe, but in the game that it is now, not all weapons are supposed to be competitively balanced.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2021, 10:09:36 AM »

Atropos needs more damage and/or range.  They were great in 0.7.2a.  Since then, they were nerfed and became too similar to Harpoons for Daggers' sake, but harder to use.  (Cannot be used point-blank, and flames out too soon.)

Unless I am piloting Afflictor, I prefer Hammers over Reapers if I do not have any missile boosts on the ship.  Hammers seem to move a bit faster on launch and harder to intercept.  (Reapers look like they launch slow then accelerate, making them vulnerable to getting picked off by enemy fire.)

Pratapon51

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2021, 05:06:55 PM »

I can lay down 4 Hammer Barrages by the time a Cyclone Reaper has reloaded for its 2nd salvo. It's an effective weapon for forcing a shield overload against a high flux enemy while still having time afterwards to shoot off several more torpedoes while they're helpless. If it had any more ammo, it'd be rather overpowered... it already carries a ton of shots with Missile Spec + EMR.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2021, 05:26:47 PM »

Someone thinks Hammers are underpowered ???

If I had to pick a missile as useless it would probably be the Cyclone - it launches its Reapers too far apart to overload PD like the Hammer Barrage does.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2021, 08:10:24 PM »

Someone thinks Hammers are underpowered ???

If I had to pick a missile as useless it would probably be the Cyclone - it launches its Reapers too far apart to overload PD like the Hammer Barrage does.

thats bc it isnt supposed to. its meant explicitly for finishing off capital ships
i feel like im gonna just keep showing back up in this thread to repeat that torpedoes aren't supposed to be balanced by purely combat metrics or fulfill all of the roles that a torpedo can fill
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2021, 03:41:30 PM »

I actually prefer Hammers to Reapers and Atroposes. Reapers only have one shot and are unreliable, while Atropos are expensive and don't hit that hard.
I like Reaper pods in the medium mounts on an Onslaught, gives you some serious burst potential with a good amount of spare ammo.