Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Bug? minus 5 points for repelling a raid that says if wont affect standing?  (Read 774 times)

LennStar

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Is it a bug that I get -5 for defeating a faction raid even though it is explicitly written that defeating the raid (because it's not official) will not hamper relations?

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile

If so, it's a bug that's been there for three years.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Ah, this isn't a bug. You don't get a reputation reduction for fighting the fleets, you get it for defeating the expedition. Per the intel item: "Defeating the expeditionary force will only result in a small reputation reduction with <faction>".

This is an important distinction for when there are multiple fleets and you face them separately - you still get just the one reputation reduction, as opposed to multiple reductions if it was per-fleet.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Also you get the rep penalty even if it wasn't your faction that murders the expedition, I believe.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I feel like it would make more sense if the rep penalty was not associated with the expedition losing/winning and just got applied at the beginning no matter what, or maybe you get an option to give x% of your income from the industry for a year to avoid the expedition entirely.

It seems like the faction should be mad at you for cutting into their profits, not mad at you for defending yourself after they try to kill you for cutting into their profits.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I feel like it would make more sense if the rep penalty was not associated with the expedition losing/winning and just got applied at the beginning no matter what, or maybe you get an option to give x% of your income from the industry for a year to avoid the expedition entirely.

It seems like the faction should be mad at you for cutting into their profits, not mad at you for defending yourself after they try to kill you for cutting into their profits.

You can avert the expedition, I don't remember what the cost is since I haven't done that to anything except AI Inspections for a long time. The rep penalty is just a maintenance cost for your colonies, can't make free money forever without occasionally doing something for those other factions but having that doubled up with the damage the expedition does would be too much.

What bugs me more is that the factions can apparently attempt a saturation bombardment over market shares despite friendly relationships. Why can't I declare my saturation bombardment an expedition and take no rep penalty?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile

What bugs me more is that the factions can apparently attempt a saturation bombardment over market shares despite friendly relationships. Why can't I declare my saturation bombardment an expedition and take no rep penalty?
Are you a major faction? No? Too bad!

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile

You can avert the expedition, I don't remember what the cost is since I haven't done that to anything except AI Inspections for a long time. The rep penalty is just a maintenance cost for your colonies, can't make free money forever without occasionally doing something for those other factions but having that doubled up with the damage the expedition does would be too much.
I'm pretty sure the cost to avert the expedition is like 20 rep, which sort of defeats the purpose of avoiding the rep ding lol. It's just there if you can't kill the fleet early on. Maybe there is some heavily scaling bribe you can pay as well, but I feel like giving a portion of your income from the industry is way more thematic considering the reason the expedition is there in the first place. The rep penalty is just annoying and a bit grindy, I want more significant and relevant consequences if there need to be consequences.

TBH, I think the whole rep system is not good, but that's a whole different thread.

LennStar

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure the cost to avert the expedition is like 20 rep, which sort of defeats the purpose of avoiding the rep ding lol. It's just there if you can't kill the fleet early on. Maybe there is some heavily scaling bribe you can pay as well, but I feel like giving a portion of your income from the industry is way more thematic considering the reason the expedition is there in the first place. The rep penalty is just annoying and a bit grindy, I want more significant and relevant consequences if there need to be consequences.

TBH, I think the whole rep system is not good, but that's a whole different thread.
It first cost 100K/10 rep but now it's 200K/20rep. Don't know if it increases or for different type of attacks.

Anyway, getting a relation malus for defending yourself against "peaceful" agression is quite bonkers.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

You even lose rep if you abandon the colony they targeted (if their fleet was on the way).  They get mad if they did not break your colony themselves!