Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What the point of the Wayfarer ship?  (Read 2145 times)

Kanjejou

• Commander
    • View Profile
What the point of the Wayfarer ship?
« on: August 17, 2021, 07:42:45 AM »

Its have strange gun arc compared to other frigates, relatively lower OP and higher maintenance than true combat ship.... and because of that most ship will fight and haul better than him...

I mean centurion and lasher/centurion have better gun arcs 10 more OP and less maintenance... even a wolf frigate feel like a better armored transport if you give him expanded cargo...
Maybe make an A version with 55 OP?

I prefer to get another kite(A) in my fleet than this junk.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: What the point of the Wayfarer ship?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 07:49:01 AM »

The same purpose as that of most combat freighters: to suck.

Kanjejou

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 08:13:39 AM »

the mule is a decent combat freighter so are the sheperd there is a difference between being subpar(those two) and seriously sucking(Wayfarer)...

If it wasnt a ship you can start with i dont think i woudl have seen it anyway
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 08:17:16 AM by Kanjejou »

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 09:33:40 AM »

There are a strangely large number of frigate sized freighters/combat freighters that are just bad. I feel like the game has really moved beyond that size scale in most ways and those ships are just leftovers from when the scale of the game was smaller, but there's not much reason to remove them.

Kanjejou

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 09:58:01 AM »

When you look a lot of other combat freighter have reedeeming quality, the unshielded ones have shielded cargo perk and a medium size weapon slot Or very low fuel crew and maintenance need combined with big cargo/tanks/crew barracks. the  wayfarer uniquity are its 6 mount on a rectanuglar basic chassis with basic stats but this get instantly countered by its lack of OP

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 10:13:57 AM »

A better Centurion than Centurion in the release it debuted.  Back then, Centurion had terrible turret arcs, and skills were strong enough that Warfarer could be a decent frigate-sized warship (it could aim three guns at a target, while that was nearly impossible for Centurion), basically a frigate-sized Mule.  Centurion back then was a shuttle with better shields, worse than the likes of Lasher or Wolf.

Today, Warfarer is awful for combat and outclassed by Shepherd as a frigate-sized freighter (thanks to Converted Bay hullmod adding +50 to Shepherd's cargo).  It is the first ship to die in combat when I take Apogee start.  Even Shepherd is a better combat ship - and freighter - than Wayfarer.

P.S.  Warfarer was also Cerberus mark II.  Cerberus was an attempt to make a combat freighter, but it was too vulnerable like the Hound, so Warfarer was the next attempt.  It worked at first, but now Warfarer is bad, probably worse than Cerberus because at least Cerberus can flee with Burn Drive, but Warfarer cannot.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 10:16:13 AM by Megas »

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 10:28:06 AM »

I use combat ships for combat and civilian ships for logistics. Hybrids just makes you worse at both IMO. Plus the extra cargo skill kinda makes all small haulers irrelevant early on when they have a chance of mattering.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 10:32:43 AM »

The only hybrid ship that's actually worth using imo is the Apogee. Sure Mule is decent in the early game but you quickly find better specialized ships. Unless you challenge yourself for fun, it's always better having ships made purely for combat and ships made purely for logistics.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 10:57:00 AM »

I think it depends on what you are doing - if I'm exploring and only fighting pirate ambushes, derelicts, and low hazard remnants, having a couple mules back up my flagship destroyer instead of real combat destroyers is good enough for defense, cheaper, and gives that all important cargo. If I'm doing bounty hunting, pure combat + just enough logistics to get places.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2021, 11:09:14 AM »

One SO hammerhead or frigate is enough to deal with derelicts and light pirates. You don't even need a fleet at that point.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 12:33:41 PM »

At this point it's more for padding NPC fleets...