Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Make Factions More Covetous of Dominion Tech (AI cores, colony improvements)  (Read 771 times)

KillerSchloss

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Given how the player can single handedly tip the balance of power with AI cores and the dominion-era colony items for his own colonies, I think there should be a little more political impacts.

Make other factions pay you for the colony upgrades you find in ruins the same way they pay you for AI cores. They should be more concerned about somebody being able to produce a war fleet out of nowhere with a nano forge. Finding an in-tact one should be a big event. Make selling one to a faction cause a spike in militarism, including the pirates ramping up raiding activity. Make installing one on one of your colonies cause a scripted spike in interest about your operation, perhaps pulling you into faction politics (i.e join the Persean League or Tri Tach because the Hegemonyis worried about a new independent colonist amassing his own fleet, or allying with the Sindrians to create an equivalent of OPEC to try to strangle the fuel market, or maybe strike a deal with the pirates where you protect each other from the legitimate factions).

Tri Tachyon is the go-to to sell AI cores because of the great premium they pay for them. Given how controversy surrounding AI technology is part of the lore, turning in cores should be more impactful. If you turn alot into the Hegemony, Tri Tach should contact you trying to incentivize you to grant them some; first with money, then with suspiciously technologically advanced unflagged warships. If you give them to Tri Tach, have Hegemony officers threaten that Luddic Path infiltrators in Hegemony intelligence might suddenly get their hands on knowledge of your activities. Turning them into the Ludds should have fringe benefits: maybe a ship full of pathers intercepts you and asks to join your "crusade against evil" to destroy more cores.

If you show excessive loyalty to Tri Tach, have them grant you even more financial incentives, and if they amass a huge hoard of cores they make a push to supplant the Hegemony as the dominant power in the sector. If you keep turning in alpha cores in the Hegemony, perhaps a political scandal should break out where they have been discovered to be making extensive use of them.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 07:44:27 PM by KillerSchloss »

JAL28

• Commander
    • View Profile

(by "Dominion", do you mean the Hegemony by any chance? There isn't a vanilla faction ingame named Dominion, only the Domain and it's "successor state" the Hegemony.)

Maybe if you keep selling off AI cores the Remnant just come and stomp your colonies and everyone with 10 radiant ordos because they're fed up with your crap of giving away dozens of their kind

KillerSchloss

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Thanks, I didn't notice that I gave The Hegemony too much credit. Fixed.

I like the idea of the [REDACTED]'s retaliating somehow, but them showing up out of nowhere with an obnoxious curb stomp fleet with no warning is too punitive to be fun. Perhaps instead of waiting around in their systems they start patrolling places where you've been, eventually maybe finding your colonies and starting to raid them. The notion of a horror stalking you deep in the vast emptiness of space because you've seen something you shouldn't fits the setting perfectly.

JAL28

• Commander
    • View Profile

them showing up out of nowhere with an obnoxious curb stomp fleet

I think you just described the [REDACTED] Raids in Nexerelin almost perfectly. Ballers show up with 5 radiants, curbstomp anything that stops them and then die to ground defences. Only you get warning for them.

KillerSchloss

• Ensign
    • View Profile

"ballers show up with 5 radiants" hahahahahaha

I guess against odds like those the warning doesn't help too much. "Fully equip and staff a fleet of capitals in 30 days, good luck cowboy!"

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Thanks, I didn't notice that I gave The Hegemony too much credit. Fixed.

I like the idea of the [REDACTED]'s retaliating somehow, but them showing up out of nowhere with an obnoxious curb stomp fleet with no warning is too punitive to be fun. Perhaps instead of waiting around in their systems they start patrolling places where you've been, eventually maybe finding your colonies and starting to raid them. The notion of a horror stalking you deep in the vast emptiness of space because you've seen something you shouldn't fits the setting perfectly.
I dunno, the regular colony items don't seem like something the REDACTED would care about. Anything you get from the Doritos, sure but most of the colony items were made by random companies and have no use to the REDACTED. Maybe there could be a more advanced tier of items that would actually get that kind of attention but the current ones already give you enough problems with the +4 Pather interest and the increased production often attracting expeditions over marketshare.