Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Highly positive relationships seem to be meaningless  (Read 7221 times)

Blurple Berry

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Highly positive relationships seem to be meaningless
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2021, 12:36:23 PM »

High faction rep grants the following:
  • You are stopped for black market trading less frequently IMO.
  • Assuming you use a story point per raid, you will be able to raid high rep factions more frequently before they become hostile to you.
  • Assuming transponder off and keep it off when stopped by faction fleets, you can attack and kill these fleets more often before owning factions become hostile.
  • You will be offered a commission.
  • If commissioned, you can buy military ships.
  • You can "pay off" inspections or raids with faction rep.

That is pretty much it in no particular order. Enjoy. In later patches, when the Orders, Command tab becomes operational, you will likely  be able to do special things with factions with which you have high faction rep.

you pretty much ignored every single post in this thread and the context of this topic as a whole

FenMuir

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Fen Muir Youtube channel
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2021, 01:31:46 PM »

High faction rep grants the following:
  • You are stopped for black market trading less frequently IMO.
  • Assuming you use a story point per raid, you will be able to raid high rep factions more frequently before they become hostile to you.
  • Assuming transponder off and keep it off when stopped by faction fleets, you can attack and kill these fleets more often before owning factions become hostile.
  • You will be offered a commission.
  • If commissioned, you can buy military ships.
  • You can "pay off" inspections or raids with faction rep.

That is pretty much it in no particular order. Enjoy. In later patches, when the Orders, Command tab becomes operational, you will likely  be able to do special things with factions with which you have high faction rep.

you pretty much ignored every single post in this thread and the context of this topic as a whole
/Cheer

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2021, 01:40:57 PM »

I'd like to see faction rep, in and of only itself, provide something of substance.

Off the top of my head it could increase the amount of material/supplies/products you have access to on the market, not more types but literally more units. The planet doesn't only have 600 supplies and 1000 fuel, that's clearly only what the market is allowing you to access. Just increase those numbers via rep and high rep is a thing worth having.

Wouldn't be broken or unbalanced either. Rep needs to do more.

Also I can confirm (100% vanilla) if pirate rep is high enough they won't raid your system unless you are sharing it with someone they hate. I think friendly is required. I can't remember the exact point it stopped happening. They also start trading with you at that point which is nice. Maybe pirates are the only exception to the rep issue.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 01:44:35 PM by Locklave »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2021, 01:44:01 PM »

I hope that reputation does more in the future and that it becomes more exclusionary, so you can't be friends with everyone just by existing.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2021, 01:57:43 PM »

The major factions are too dumb to live after a certain point.

I hope that reputation does more in the future and that it becomes more exclusionary, so you can't be friends with everyone just by existing.
Un-commissioned player is like an Independent.  Indies are friendly to all except the two outlaw factions.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2021, 02:05:48 PM »

I think in general, the stakes associated with rep are just too low. You don't really gain a lot by having high rep, you don't really lose much by having low rep. Going from low to high or high to low rep is not hard etc. You can wash away the slaughter of an entire planet by doing cargo runs... It just feels very superficial, all of the politics, betrayal, drama, atrocities etc feel irrelevant when you can trivially undo all the consequences. I think that's a consequence of the entire 'reputation as currency' system.

Naeris

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2021, 05:29:54 PM »

although rep is easy to repair with like 1 system bounty having low rep has lots of negative effects as your colonies suffer a accessibility penalty when you have bad relations with other factions. also not being able to trade can be detrimental if you run out of supplies or fuel

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2021, 02:10:11 AM »

Honestly ya, pirate system bounties can get you from 0 to max in no time if they are in a big raid. The rep system is so fast and totally without meaning.

Getting rep to 100 should mean that even if you aren't a commission that they see you as an ally and asset. They shouldn't even have expeditions against you, but at the same time reaching 100 should be extremely hard and require focused efforts that *** off other factions. I don't want commissions doing this. A commission isn't an earned thing and instantly gives this to you with the meager 10 rep required to sign up for it and unless you are totally out of control it's nearly impossible to lose your commission.

I honestly believe Alex needs to work up at very least a half assed diplomacy system so rep has long term meaning and is something the player has to think about. It doesn't need to be a deep system, this isn't that type of game, it just needs to do the basics. We are at barely existent tier diplomacy, we need to be at half assed tier. But as I'm saying that would be good enough.

JAL28

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2021, 05:01:54 AM »

By "half-assed" do you mean Nexerelin level or?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2021, 05:03:04 AM »

Honestly ya, pirate system bounties can get you from 0 to max in no time if they are in a big raid. The rep system is so fast and totally without meaning.
At least it makes Indies going hostile from a sat bomb aimed at a non-Indie planet more tolerable, since a good sweep of a system bounty fixes the dumb insta-hostile, even if it is a grind.

Indies should not get mad over a sat bomb unless it is aimed at them.  Currently, it makes them look like monolithic puppets who are too dumb to stay out of a conflict between major powers.  (Once Indies get mad over a sat bomb, I consider them to have sided with my enemy, and they get targeted for destruction too - stay out of my way!)

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2021, 01:21:07 PM »

At least it makes Indies going hostile from a sat bomb aimed at a non-Indie planet more tolerable, since a good sweep of a system bounty fixes the dumb insta-hostile, even if it is a grind.

Indies should not get mad over a sat bomb unless it is aimed at them.  Currently, it makes them look like monolithic puppets who are too dumb to stay out of a conflict between major powers.  (Once Indies get mad over a sat bomb, I consider them to have sided with my enemy, and they get targeted for destruction too - stay out of my way!)

Well I completely agree with that. If they did care and get involved they'd have been wiped out long ago.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2021, 03:45:22 PM »

The idea is that sat bombing makes you worse than Hitler and everybody wants you dead. Feels a bit silly to me since a few raids will flatten a colony with a little delay and no universal hate but then again sat bombing is pretty cheap.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2021, 02:28:29 AM »

The idea is that sat bombing makes you worse than Hitler and everybody wants you dead. Feels a bit silly to me since a few raids will flatten a colony with a little delay and no universal hate but then again sat bombing is pretty cheap.
The major powers do Sat bombings. Set up in a system without permission and sat bombing incoming. Seems clear they've all engaged in it in the past. As that is the standard then the Neutral factions would stay out of such things for survival reasons or they'd have been at war with the major factions long ago making their survival up till now impossible.

It just makes only the player worse then Hilter, but they are chill with the major factions doing it.

If it's just in place to punish the player for using it then it's a bad design choice. Like executions in Bannerlord, an option that you have if you want to destroy your save file and be at war with everyone. In such case why even allow Sat bombings? If it needs a greater penalty then it needs a more realistic one for the game world.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 02:31:02 AM by Locklave »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2021, 05:36:45 AM »

As Locklave said, and not just the major factions, but also the Indies and pirates.  In other words, only the player is penalized for sat bombing a planet, and stinks of the "Gang Up on the Human" trope.

Also, if major factions that are supposed to be friendly or cooperative send gigantic war fleets over and over and over again in so-called expeditions, eventually, the player who gets sick of it may just scream "ENOUGH!" and crush the attackers at the source.  Unfortunately, the only way to do so is to destroy their planets, which means either sat bombs or decivilization from prolonged zero stability.

There comes a point when the factions should stop treating the player like an insignificant upstart and more like a superpower stronger than all of the core worlds combined, especially after the player wipes a couple major factions off the map for their insolence.

That said, I have no problem with other major factions getting mad over a sat bomb.  They are big enough to take sides or act on their own.  It is the Indies I have a problem with because they look like a small neutral faction who are not big or strong enough to be major players.  If Indies get mad just because I sat bomb a major faction that would not stop their unprovoked attacks, the message I get is the Indies are a puppet state that joined with their masters from the major faction, and they become a valid target to eliminate too because they got in the way and/or providing aid to the enemy.

P.S.  They all get mad if I sat bomb a pirate planet or space station in the core worlds, but they are A-okay with player destroying a pop-up space station in the fringe.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 05:43:07 AM by Megas »

Dread Lord Murubarda

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2021, 04:09:48 AM »

here's two ideas:

1. reach 100 rep with hegemony, lc, tt and league and you can request to become a main faction, thus being allowed to sat bomb planets w/o any penalty.

2. use rep to get some ships, 100 rep for a capital, 70 for a cruiser, 45 destroyer and 20 for frigates. the rep that you spend is gone. ships are full equipped, but low tier weapons always. ships are also random according to the corresponding faction's doctrine.
Pages: 1 [2] 3