Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What are your most used weapons and why ?  (Read 5202 times)

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: What are your most used weapons and why ?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2021, 05:42:04 PM »

Well, PD lasers are the most used, but that's probably not what you meant.  :D

The weapon I love the most and always try to sneak into builds is the ion cannon. Basically all my ship have ion damage these days (low tech gets converted hangars just for that), it helps with fights so much.

Favourite missile is harpoon. I fill all missile slots with them (high-tech with mediums gets one sabot pod and rest harpoons), and build-in ECCM on ships with lots of missle slots.

Favourite ballistic is railgun. It's a medium weapon in a small slot, pretty nice. For PD it's vulcan.

FenMuir

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Fen Muir Youtube channel
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2021, 08:03:37 PM »

Antimatter Blasters!
Phase ships are more amazing with them! Would you like to be able to kill capitals with ease as a frigate? No problem!

Dual Machineguns and Heavy Machineguns!
The benefit of all of your guns firing and not increasing your flux is amazing. It is oddly satisfying to watch a legion equipped with Warthogs and Machineguns kill an onslaught in a face-to-face battle simply because the onslaught stays near max flux due to all of the machineguns. Would you like to be immune to missiles? NO PROBLEM!

Kanjejou

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2021, 08:42:34 AM »

Vulcan for PD light autocanon because its flux inexpensiv and turn fast and shot strait(reason I don't like the dual autocanon is its turn slowly for a small turret and aim is horrible), also most of the game is overloading the shield of the opponent.

In the energie i enjoy graviton beam and tactical laser just to harras and stay out fo reach.

For missilles... torpedoes(except hammer it keep bouncing those by being too close),  sabot(super strong but limited ammunitions if nort on big mount), breach SRM(relatively strong and plentifull ammunitions, outshine the swarm srm and rocket by a lot).

LennStar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2021, 12:40:16 PM »

Phase lance... it overwhelms everything and has good range. It seems too good to me, or maybe the AI just doesn’t know how to avoid it?
Yes, Yes! The frigate with 2 of them. 2 shot kills most pirate frigates and is fast enough to get them or run away when faced with 3 enemies. Also can literally kick ass if it gets into the back of any bigship. Since the lance does that much damage with a single shot, it goes through armor like a hot knife through butter. (Also this frigate's drones are an incredible PD force)

Sabots for the win too!
Put them on a Hammerhead, add Thumpers and watch with glee as it shreds through enemy ships.

Did I mention that Thumpers are incredible for their OP? They don't do much dmg on shields and armor, but that is only if you ignore the insane base dps for low flux.

Also ion cannon fighters. All of them. But those with 8000 range and high speed are incedible as a force projection.

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2021, 06:54:56 PM »

The perfect 1000 range, decent flux/size value combo of:  Hypervelocity Driver and Heavy Mauler.  They simply are made to be deployed together in the same arc IMO.

My First Carrier Must Field:  all the slots with Broadswords.  When an enemy that you are overmatched by needs to be pressured into oblivion, ask the broads to all party together over that single ship.  After first blood:  rename the carrier to whichever hot dame you'd put on the nose of your WWII plane.

I'm now measuring PD by the "burst equivalent of Two Burst Lasers" (BE2BL).  Currently I'm very neurotic about installing BE2BL asap on the aft quarter of DE+ ships .  Hi Salamander missiles, I'm looking at you.  Quite expensive at 7 each, but Salamanders.  Cruiser+ get BE2BL minimum in the forward quarter as well if feasible.  On battlecruiser+:  backed up with a machine gun or Vulcan or two as the "inner layer" if there are slots.  Because single incoming Reapers and Hammers should fail.

Unsure if based on truly "better" choices, but:
Railguns, and tactical lasers are pretty much automatically installed when found and rarely sit in the cargo bay long.  At least one tactical laser on every ship if possible in the forward arc...to keep the enemy shields up make the shieldless pay.

Mining blasters Lately I've become a big fan for fast frigates.  This is a devastating punch and the AI can use them longer on a Wolf without flux overloading/dying than I can in a long battle.

Kos135

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2021, 08:21:45 PM »

Phase lances are always my go-to for medium energy slots. They have perfect accuracy, they're flux efficient and deal good damage.
You cannot trick an honest man, only a villain will fall for it.

Gameciel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2021, 12:11:49 AM »

Cryoblaster, on Hyperion to be more specific.

Don't take it as a whatever F/D 0.31 Frag weapon, need a bit translation ;D.

It's a F/D 1.25, DPH 400 energy bolt weapon that destroys hull at 400% speed! Wow! Heavy blaster is 1.44, nah forget this stuff ;).

Gameciel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2021, 12:25:16 AM »

Hands down a lot of the new weapons in 0.95a.

Spoiler
Cryoblaster -- as far as I'm concerned, this is so good that it's worth rolling/savescumming to ensure that I get one in the starting cache, 3 each from the hypershunts, and 2 from the unique bounty, for a total of 9 in a playthrough to spread among my fleet. My flagship focuses a lot on chasing down vulnerable ships and killing them before they can retreat behind other ships, so this is awesome as a finisher. Plus, it has pretty good hit strength and flux efficiency; pretty much a somewhat "smaller" version of the heavy blaster but much, much better at finishing off targets.
Antimatter missiles -- when I want some burst damage, which is, quite often.
Minipulser -- being able to have kinetic on energy weapon mount is awesome.
[close]

These are all limited though, and well they should be. The downside of being limited is that it just encourages players like me to reroll/savescum to maximize the amount that I can get.

I've also become quite fond of the Sabot pod (good burst kinetic, can last long enough for multiple Ordos fleets with skill/hullmod) and the Xyphos fighter (great at neutralizing enemy ships).

The downside's too big, cuz I usually want to have multiple cryoblasters and multiple AMSRM as well. So I really do lots of savescum, wish there is a way to produce that or just legit getting some after beating at least a hypershunt in later updates u know. Like from some academy lab or some dev place on alpha site or something, can accept that even requiring millions (cuz getting millions are actually easy lol).

Ramiel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2021, 01:58:57 AM »

Tachyon Lance is your friend, always install Tachyon Lance! Needlers are also a very nice thing to have....

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2021, 07:41:24 AM »

If we are talking highest volume, it would probably be vulcan or something like that. But i think the intended question is more along the lines of 'most frequently used per slot/role', i.e. which weapons take up the largest fraction of slots that could hold them, or which weapons take up the largest fraction of their intended role. Heavy needler is definitely one of my most used weapons, I rarely use anything else for medium kinetic damage. Vulcan might still be top tier because I rarely use anything else for small PD.

I don't think omega weapons can really count for 'most used' since you get such a small number. They would definitely be most used if I could make more :D, but that's kind of the point, they're all moderately overpowered.

Gameciel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2021, 08:10:23 AM »

If we are talking highest volume, it would probably be vulcan or something like that. But i think the intended question is more along the lines of 'most frequently used per slot/role', i.e. which weapons take up the largest fraction of slots that could hold them, or which weapons take up the largest fraction of their intended role. Heavy needler is definitely one of my most used weapons, I rarely use anything else for medium kinetic damage. Vulcan might still be top tier because I rarely use anything else for small PD.

I don't think omega weapons can really count for 'most used' since you get such a small number. They would definitely be most used if I could make more :D, but that's kind of the point, they're all moderately overpowered.
Good point, then Annihilator Rocket Pod is. real 0.0 F/D ballistic, should call it Katyusha instead :D. Know that an aurora with frontal 5x ARP + 1 rear Sabot can beat up Onslaught 1-1 face to face bashing shield?

But omega weapons takes more OP, and the only frigate to have many ARPs is Remnant Lumen, 4DP, with 4synergy slot, but just overpowered since we can have 4 ARPs on a SO Lumen which is extremely agile, 1500 range, legit ballistic lol.

ubuntufreakdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2021, 09:13:00 AM »

If we are talking highest volume, ...
I go by highest money volume, to get to the most significant weapons.
I tend to field many high tech ships:
Plasma Cannon, best hardflux energy option in most cases
Locust SRM, a no brainer for L Missile slots if you don't know what to use, kills nasty things, guarantees many hits, and ammo is not as rare.
High Intensity Laser, a nice pressure option to keep enemy shields up.
Heavy Needler, perfect match to a HIL to quickly raise flux.
Pages: 1 [2]